MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Dr. Potato Head

A complete aside, but since EBG and Beatnik read this topic and at least might know what I'm talking about, let's burn down Ken Hayashi's house, okay? I want sanctioned MMA in Ontario, but not with him running it.

Ken Hayashi isn't so much a bad guy as a pussy. He doesn't actually have the power to legalize mixed martial arts, just the ability to choose to interpret the law as allowing MMA and begin to sanction events. That opens the OAC to legal troubles should there be accidents/the authorities take exception. Yes he totally could start sanctioning and yes he's a pussy for not since most provinces have taken the same laws and sanctioned events, but the quick fix is some sort of amendment to section 83 of the criminal code. Of course I'm sure Stephen Harper got beat up a lot in high school and resents all forms of combat that don't involve the military so I don't see that being high on their priorities.

Guest Dr. Potato Head

Then clearly we need to out a closet MMA fan in Parliament. And I never meant to imply that Hayashi was out to start trouble, just that he's not really even that competent at regulating pro wrestling - how could adding more to his job be a good thing?

He honestly doesn't think it's his place. He considers the wording of section 83 to define MMA as illegal. As for adding to his job, he and the OAC are already documented as being lazy (they wanted to cancel one of two boxing events because they took place within 8 days of one another and they didn't want to drive what I believe was a combined 250km).

• 1 month later...

Cage Rage Spoilers ahead...

Baroni damn near killed that Jansen kid with a vicious right hook to win by knockout. Then after the fight, he went to check on him and some faggot tried to headbutt him.

Whoever it was, was lucky that Baroni kept his cool, otherwise he would have been staring at the ceiling along with his friend.

Seriously... what the fuck?

Someone on another forum I post on says he's seen footage of some MMA Champion accepting a challenge from a fan in the crowd and getting knocked out, giving the fan the title. Has anyone heard of this? He says he's seen footage on Youtube, but I can't find anything searching for the obvious tags - MMA Fan Wins Title, MMA Champion Beaten Fan, MMA Fan Challenges Competitor etc.

The only way I can see that happening is if it took place on an Indian reserve. No way would a legit promotion allow some guy from the crowd to come in and fight a trained fighter. It's a HUGE liability risk and no Athletic Commission would grant the fan a license to fight for one night. It takes months to obtain a license. But than again, it could be from a underground promotion.

Yeah, he originally said that it was in the UFC but I think he's using that as a term for the sport in general. I assumed that it was in Uzbekistan or something, or so old that the whole show was unauthorised.

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has been arrested and faces multiple felony charges stemming from an alleged hit-and-run and a subsequent police chase in California.

Jackson was arrested today and bail has been set at $25,000, according to a representative from the Costa Mesa Police Department.

"[Jackson] was arrested, he was transported to the Orange County central jail, and he is booked there, and that's where he's at currently," Costa Mesa Police Lieutenant Paul Dondero told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Jackson allegedly hit multiple cars during a short police chase Tuesday afternoon just after 1 p.m. PT. He eventually pulled over and surrendered to police after traveling from Costa Mesa to Newport Beach in California.

"He was arrested for violation of felony evading, hit-and-run and reckless driving," Lt. Dondero said.

Jackson could be in court as early as Thursday.

"He's just been arrested, so nothing's been established," Lt. Dondero said. "If he's released on bail, that's an option. He would be given a court date to appear. If he's kept in custody, then he could go to court as early as maybe Thursday morning."

MMAjunkie.com was unable to reach Jackson's manager, Juanito Ibarra.

A set of photographs taken by a bystander captured Jackson being arrested next to a pick-up truck that bears a large portrait of the fighter. The photographs also showed police officers with their guns drawn while Jackson lie on his stomach in the middle of the road.

Jackson, 30, lost his UFC light-heavyweight title earlier this month at UFC 86. The loss -- his first in more than three years -- snapped a six-fight win streak. The longtime veteran of the now-defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships entered the UFC after the organization purchased -- and disbanded -- the World Fighting Alliance, a Las Vegas-based organization to which Jackson was signed.

MMAjunkie.com will have additional details on this story as they become available.

-MMAJunkie.com

I can't say anything about this without breaking out laughing.

Same here. Initially I'm shocked, but then I see that his truck is not only fucking huge, but has his likeness on it? Seriously, it's hard enough to evade the police, but with you're fucking likeness on a god damned monster truck?

I'm bummed though, Jackson is a great fighter, and a re-match with Forrest would have been excellent.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Today's Observer says (and I'm paraphrasing because you should pay for it) that Gary Shaw is out as the promotional face of EliteXC to spend more time in boxing. This should make a lot of you happy.

So Page is in the looney bin. Fucking awesome.

http://sherdog.com/news/news/jackson-under...valuation-13712

Street cred + Crazy mother = Self marketing genius. Fuck Kimbo, all that nigga gotta do is eat. This nigga gotta make sure that got his head on straight before he plows into another pregnant woman.

Meh, he probably just wants to be out of reach of any means of communication just in case Joe Silva wants him to fight Wandy next. Nigga don't need another brain-quake that's for sure.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Aleksander Emelianenko was deemed medically unfit to fight by the CSAC so him vs. Paul Buentello is now off. Buentello will now take on Gary Goodridge instead.

In more Affliction news, for those that will buy the PPV or whatever, it will be four hours long. ALl fights will be televised (3 on FSN, 8 on PPV)

MAIN CARD (PPV)

* Fedor Emelianenko (230) vs. Tim Sylvia (263)

* Andrei Arlovski (241) vs. Ben Rothwell (264)

* Josh Barnett (256) vs. Pedro Rizzo (242)

* Renato "Babalu" Sobral (201) vs. Mike Whitehead (206)

* Matt Lindland (185) vs. Fabio Nascimento (185)

* Edwin Dewees (205) vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (205)

* J.J. Ambrose (170) vs. Mike Pyle (171)

* Ray Lazama (186) vs. Justin Levens (189) (catchweight)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FSN)

* Paul Buentello () vs. Gary Goodridge () (weigh in tomorrow at 11am)

* Vitor Belfort (185) vs. Terry Martin (185.5)

* Mark Hominick (144) vs. Savant Young (145)

---------------

Every one is good to go tomorrow night for UFC Fight Night 14: Silva vs. Irvin.

MAIN CARD

* James Irvin (206) vs. Anderson Silva (206)

* Reese Andy (206) vs. Brandon Vera (206)

* Frankie Edgar (155) vs. Hermes Franca (155)

* Jake O'Brien (236) vs. Cain Velasquez (236)

* Kevin Burns (171) vs. Anthony Johnson (170)

* C.B. Dollaway (186) vs. Jesse Taylor (184)

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Brodie Farber (171) vs. Rory Markham (170)

* Nate Loughran (183) vs. Johnny Rees (183)

* Brad Blackburn (170) vs. James Giboo (170)

* Shannon Gugerty (156) vs. Dale Hartt (156)

* Tim Credeur (185) vs. Cale Yarbrough (186)

So this is eight hours of MMA tomorrow night.

Edited by Fitzy