MMA News and Discussion Thread

I'll be doing either what MPH or Fitzy are doing, depending on the availability. I think if I'm dropping money on MMA, I'm looking for it to have more non-heavyweight boughts to ease my worries about it turning into a shitfest.

Edwin DeWees <3 I'll probably torrent all of Affliction to get a taste and probably just grab the fights that are worth seeing from UFC (Franca's, Silva's, possibly Vera's and the TUF fight).

Edit Scratch that. Just found out UFC is on FUEL TV live and free in Australia. So will definitely be watching that.

Edited by QuomQuat

I'll probably end up watching Affliction tomorrow and hopefully UFC will be all over television all over the place. Which is most likely will be.

Wow, some old favorites this weekend, Goodridge, Vitor, and Pedro. Personally, I'll be rooting for these guys pretty hard. Even though they'll all probably end up losing. Terry Martin hits too hard!

A lot of people are picking Irvin. I dunno, I can see Silva standing for a bit, feeling out, clinch, and pull guard. Irvin is the wrong guy for Anderson to show off his striking at 205 with. Come to think of it, the level of striking from 185 to 205 is big, a lot of top notch strikers at light heavyweight. Don't get me wrong, Anderson would still be up there with the best strikers, but there are a lot of experienced and dangerous strikers that could have Silva seriously showcasing his ground arsenal more than ever.

I like Anderson to do some damage on the mat and keep the stock of his ground game soaring.

Hey, I heard Fedor was fighting this weekend. Tim is the biggest test for Fedor in a long time, no duh, but I still can't shake the feeling of the normal Fedor affair. You look at his opponent and you think about what he's got that could possibly work against Fedor, then realize Fedor could probably do the exact same thing and make look a million times as easy and slick. It's like even if the guy poses a threat, I'd have to see Fedor actually lose with my own two eyes to truly believe it.

In this fight, it's simple; speed and poise vs. power and size. Not that either fighter is limited to those qualities, but it should be the story of the fight. Facing a big, hulking opponent is nothing new for Fedor, nor is fighting a guy with the hands and power of Tim. He's beaten guys that were bigger AND have better hands. Fedor should have no problem getting used to the presence of big Tim. I've always thought that Tim was a decent fighter overall, great striker, but his size is his biggest asset and hides most of flaws. Not that Tim isn't well rounded, I mean he was very impressive on the ground against a seasoned grappling vet in Jeff Monson, but he lacks a cetain cool. I dunno, that's the only word I could think of. If you can bring Tim down a level, catch him with something, or push him around, he appears to lose it really quickly and leaves himself open to get finished. He goes from imposing, well rounded monster to big, lumbering, confused fighter looking like a whale out of water. With Fedor, you should be ready for an all out assault at all times, he'll turn it on and take over a fight. It won't be easy to get in there to do some damage, I'm not even sure that's what Fedor wants to do. Still, it's entirely possibly that Fedor could get hot and out box Tim, if that could lead Timmy entering one of his "uh's", then the night will end with a swift victory for Fedor Emelianenko.

If it goes to the ground, I got to like Tim to do something damage initially if he ends up in dominant position. He doesn't need to leave the guard, he can post up, fire away. Of course, the whole Fedor factor means he can lock you into an armbar out of nowhere in the blink of an eye. Fedor's guard will be fairly active, so that could produce Tim with opportunities to sneak out of there, there will always be a catch to each escape, an arm gets caught, a knee meets Mr. Cup, who knows? With those big-ass arms, that could be a lamb being lead to the slaughter. Any of those big limbs are looking like dinner for Fedor, that's your safest bet of the night for this fight, IMO. Fight goes to the ground, Tim gets top position, gets sloppy, gets caught. Jam done. It's so predictable I don't even want to go for it, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when just looking at their names across from each with "vs." in the middle. Now, if Tim is smart, he'll get out of there ASAP, but for the time being he needs to stay posted and be smart. Attack, but don't get crazy unless he can smell blood, if not, might not even be the worst thing to loaf and get the stand up. It's a cheap out, but the key for Timmy in this fight is to take advantage of whatever he can get. A cheap stand up? Hey, as long as it goes back to his playing field. If he manages to send Fedor to the ropes, by all means fight to finish. Zero hesitation. If you wait for the right time to try to end it, it'll be too late, because by then Fedor will have had his hand raised.

I'll go Fedor via submission, 2nd round.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

No, a beating is what Houston Alexander dished out his first two fights. A beating is when Chuck Liddel decimates someone in a few seconds. What Silva did was wait for his opponent to mess up, land a single shot, then follow up. Impressive yes? A beating? Hardly.

No, a beating is what Houston Alexander dished out his first two fights. A beating is when Chuck Liddel decimates someone in a few seconds. What Silva did was wait for his opponent to mess up, land a single shot, then follow up. Impressive yes? A beating? Hardly.

He smashed him in the face, got Irvin on the ground, and continued to smash him until the ref stopped. I'm not entirely sure what your definition of a beating is. Houston Alexander, when he beat Keith Jardine, waited until Keith got him into a sloppy clinch before unleashing the deadly uppercut. Keith made the mistake of keeping his head vulnerable in the clinch. Chuck Liddell finishes most of his fights through counter punching. Alot of fighting is based on capitalizing upon what your opponents do or don't do, and using your knowledge to take advantage. If Anderson Silva knocking James Irvin down with one punch, before unleashing a barrage of punches on the ground until the ref showed mercy, isn't a 'beating' then I don't know if I'll ever see one.

I'm definatly with KCC on this one, I'd definatly classify what Silva gave to Irwin as a beating. I was on my feet, nearly in need of new pants, when that happened.

Even though Silva didn't dominate the whole minute before the KO, given the circumstances the fight is under (it is Silva's first fight moving up to 205, of course he's going to start slow. I can't remember which commentator said it, but he said it well; to the extent of "Silva may be starting slow but it's allowing him to feel out Irwin and find out what this weight class is going to come at him like", and soon following that comment, Silva capitalized on Irwin's big mistake. Another thing is that Silva didn't even expect to knock Irwin down on that punch, so I look forward to seeing him having to put serious effort into a fight.

I'm sure Silva would of gladly continued on beating Irwin senseless, it shouldn't be said he didn't throw down a beating because the ref stopped it before it got alot worse for Irwin.

By the way, did anyone else catch the middleweight fight (I'm pretty sure) between Brodie Farber and Rory Markham after Silva/Irwin? I don't know if it was a thrown-together time-filler because Silva/Irwin ended so soon, but it was worth it aswell.

Farber nicely made Markham backstep in a complete circle around the octagon while being hit, only to turn around and throw a (what looked like) desperation head kick that looked like it KILLED Farber. I couldn't even believe it.
EDIT: (Here's a youtube link of the Markham/Farber KO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAnL4lseIok )

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

yea that head kick was incredible

also did anyone see that cut on Irvins cheek

Yeah, that was a fucking gash and a half. That either came from the punch that took Irwin off his feet, or the very last one before the ref stopped it, but either way, fuck was it a nice one.

I was a little disapointed in Brandon Vera's performance it was lackluster. I hope his next fight he returns with more explosiveness

I haven't seen Vera fight before, but he looks like he packs a punch, and the announcers sounded very disapointed with him so I look forward to seeing him step it up.

Can't wait to see Lesnar maul Herring on the 9th

Anyone got Affliction results so I don't need to go searching around for them? I'd be much obliged.

-Fedor Emelianenko def. Tim Sylvia by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 0:36, R1

-Andrei Arlovski def. Ben Rothwell by KO at 1:13, R3

-Josh Barnett def. Pedro Rizzo by KO at 1:44, R2

-Mark Hominick def. Savant Young by Submission (Armbar) at 4:25, R2

-Renato “Babalu” Sobral def. Mike Whitehead by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27), R3

-Matt Lindland def. Fabio Negao by Unanimous Decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)

-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Edwin Dewees by TKO at 4:06, R1

-Mike Pyle def. J.J. Ambrose by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:51, R3

-Vitor Belfort def. Terry Martin by KO at 3:12, R2

-Paul Buentello def. Gary Goodridge by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Fedor didn't even give Tim a chance to do anything.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/afflicti...timsylvia_sport

Like a hot knife through butter.

Poor Pedro, I wish he wasn't such a stubborn counter fighter, Josh did a great job a keeping it standing, avoiding any real damage aside from eating the odd jab, great movement, used the front kick well, and timing the KO perfectly. I'm seeing the front kick more and more now, not a lot of MMA fighters are used to defending that. Pedro looked pretty good... up until he lost. Not as active as I thought he could have been, but he was right to respect Josh's stand up I guess. Still, he avoided the majority of Josh's attempted bull rushes and broke away from the clinch with ease. He was the victim a flawless executed KO.

What makes me the most happy about last night, having Affliction around, is that we got to see a revitalized and refreshed Andrei Arlovski taking on Ben Rothwell, who was stuck in MMA purgatory known as the IFL, really needing a place to break out. What a fight that was. Andrei looked spot on, he was pushing the pace, landing quick and effective punches, but what really impressed me is how well was pacing himself. He used to go too hard for too long and would leave himself open to getting caught mid-rush. Not this time, he was smart enough to back off when he felt Rothwell was going to respond. It paid off, by the third round, Rothwell was a sitting duck, Andrei didn't need to rush into anything (EDIT: ok, he rused into a lot, but I'm going by Arlovski standards). Punches in bunches when the opportunity is there and it should pay off in the end. It's not the old Andrei, it's the new and improved Andrei from what I saw. Props to Ben, kept as active as he could and showed a chin a fucking chin and half and a ton of heart. One of the announcers said it would take a 2x4 to KO Rothwell. Considering what Andrei was landing, yeah, it pretty much did.

Oh Andrei, one thing... DITCH THE FUCKING LEGLOCKS!

Edited by Enter Blue Guy