MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

My thoughts on Affliction:

It was a lot of hype, and while there were some early warning signs near the beginning (boring fights, technical problems), the end result wasn't that bad.

Lindland/Negao was really the first fight that was able to hold my interest, and I'm looking forward to Lindland shaking off the ring rust any hopefully being a major player on the indy circuit (his deal wouldn't be exclusive, would it?).

Hominick and Young also put on a decent match.

I'm afraid that Rizzo might be done as a legitimate even average fighter. He's still got his credentials, which'll be enough to get him to fight (and lose to) a couple up-and-comers, but he won't be headlining anything anytime soon. Barnett, on the other hand, looked fairly impressive...even without the fight going to the ground.

Arlovski/Rothwell was awesome, and IMO the best non-UFC fight this year (even beating Smith/Lawler). Better yet, neither guy came out of it looking particularly weak - you get the sense that Rothwell could still win a rematch if he comes in with a better gameplan.

And nothing needs to be said about Fedor, he's still fucking Fedor.

The heavyweight division is the one thing that pretty much sucks about UFC, and it's nice to see that you've got Fedor, Arlovski, Barnett, and others all hanging around the top of any WAMMA cards for some entertaining fights. Plus I could see a Rothwell/Sylvia match happening at some point too, with the winner of that (my money's on Big Ben) getting back into the upper echelon.

Problem with Rothwell/Sylvia is a guy by the name of Pat Miletich. He's got a win over Ben from years ago on his record already too. It would be a good matchup today, but the Miletich roots lay deep.

Also, I always feel satisfied when Terry Martin gets KO'd. Nobody goes "TIMMMMBERRRR" like Martin, except for Sean Salmon
Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Still one more tonight, if you're into it. DREAM 5, which center point is the semis and finals of the LWGP. It'll be on HDnet fights at 2am and again tomorrow at 10pm I believe. And all over the net by tomorrow morning.

Shinya Aoki vs. Caol Uno: This should be fun, Uno always is. Add the grappling fireworks of Aoki and the unpredictability of both, this could be the most entertaining fight all year. How quick will Aoki get this to this to ground? Because Uno's stand up could be the difference here. I've never seen Aoki look totally comfortable standing up unless he is hanging off somebody. So look for Aoki to pull guard quickly and bring Uno to his level, what else is new? I don't think Aoki will have an easy time going for the takedown, it's not his strong point to begin with and Uno has ridiculous poise and balance. Uno is as wiley as the come, he's going to be moving on the ground just as quickly as Aoki will be. Not necessarily the best way to fight Aoki on the mat, all he needs is a quick slip up to find a solid sub. On the flipside, just as Uno's activity could lead to the defeat by error, Aoki could just as easily give Uno dominant position while looking for something. Not good with a guy like Uno who is on the attack so quickly and is a damn slick grappler himself. However, if I'm Uno, I'm looking to exploit Aoki on the feet. Not much power from Uno standing, but he's quick and relentless, which could create problems for Aoki if he can't get it the ground one way or the other. What I don't like about Uno is how he goes wherever the fight takes him instead of taking the fight in his direction, which is largely due to him fighting balls out. I can see him pushing Aoki around and being very much the aggressor, but falling right into Aoki's awaiting trap.

I'll go with Aoki via some triangular submission in the 2nd.

Eddie Alvarez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri: So it's another native favorite going against an underdog. Maybe that's the wrong term for Alvarez, I think darkhorse fits just right. Alvarez stock has risen significantly thanks to an impressive win over HEROS GP finalist Andre Dida and a victory coming out of a war with the always dangerous Joachim Hansen (BTW, FOTYC, find it if you can). This fight is the hardest to call in a looong time for me. Kawajiri is one of the best in the World, doesn't get enough props of fans in the west. One would argue Gilbert Melendez stole a JD away from him on NYE a few years ago. This going to rough, it's going to nasty, in your face, if it turns out to be a good fight (even the best fight on paper can turn to poo), it'll be the War of 08. Both guys have similar bases, both love to wrestle and punish their opponents with brutal GnP, they love to grind them into the mat. Both are strong, imposing guys, if either one has their opposition in dominant position, it'll feel like a long night for that guy. Both guys just keep coming, very hard to throw them off their game, they can absorb punishment and go right back their gameplan. Both guys are very good standing too, but this is were the differences come in. Eddie has the heavy hands, he likes to swing for the fences, and he has one punch KO power. Kawajiri is more of technician, he'll throw the punches in bunches and goes out their using the "strike to score" strat, as opposed to looking to finish. Not to assume that Kawajiri doesn't posses power of his own, but he is much more of a combo to score points for the judges type of striker. This is really difficult, I like Kawajiri because of the experience and the quality of opponents he's been in there with, but Eddie is hot right now and he's definitely going to be a huge player in the US very soon. Toughie.

I'll take Eddie by JD.

My finals: I've got Aoki vs. Eddie in there. I think Eddie would easily be the most devastating fighter Aoki has gone up against. So if Aoki wants to be on the feet as little as possible against Uno, he'll want to instant butt-scoot against Eddie. Thing is, it is zero fun to be on the ground under Eddie. He'll push Aoki, and it won't be the frantic Uno type pushing, it'll be Eddie overpowering you, keeping you in position to eat bomb after bomb after bomb after... well, you get it. Aoki does a great job staying as far away from taking any serious GnP because how long and lanky he his. It will be difficult for Eddie to find the right range to really punish Aoki from guard, he'll have to find a way inside to really do some damage. But if he can manage to pass even to just half, Aoki does not like to be hit at all. Hurt him and you can tell how uncomfortable he suddenly becomes. One good shot could be the opening Eddie needs to end it. What I notice from the Hansen fight, though, is how Eddie got caught in subs, but was able to weather them or muscle out. Now whether he can do that against a submission wizard like Aoki, I'll have to see, but with Aoki, Eddie doesn't want to be caught in those subs in the first place. That being said, Eddie to me seems just too powerful and imposing for Aoki to last the whole fight with. Aoki has NEVER seen somebody like Alvarez and I think he is the perfect fit to expose Aoki. And that's coming from a guy who loves Shinya Aoki.

I'll take Eddie by TKO in the 3rd.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Thoughts of Affliction: Banned

Went to Wild Wings to watch it and while I liked what I did see, if they ditch the shitty bands playing there, I would be happy. To be honest though, it just didn't feel like it normally does watching Affliction at Wild Wings as there was literally nobody there compared to the UFC events. I feel like Affliction is a watch at home company where as the UFC is more of a everyone wants to watch it. What I did see was a dominant Fedor Emelianenko kick some ass. I went to call a friend with a result and one of the guys at Wild Wings looked at me and goes "Wow, thats an ass kicking." and I agree. Go in, get the job done, flurry of punches, hooks, rear naked choke, done. So, the question is...

Arlovski vs. Fedor OR Barnett vs. Fedor?

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Thoughts of Affliction: Banned

Went to Wild Wings to watch it and while I liked what I did see, if they ditch the shitty bands playing there, I would be happy. To be honest though, it just didn't feel like it normally does watching Affliction at Wild Wings as there was literally nobody there compared to the UFC events. I feel like Affliction is a watch at home company where as the UFC is more of a everyone wants to watch it. What I did see was a dominant Fedor Emelianenko kick some ass. I went to call a friend with a result and one of the guys at Wild Wings looked at me and goes "Wow, thats an ass kicking." and I agree. Go in, get the job done, flurry of punches, hooks, rear naked choke, done. So, the question is...

Arlovski vs. Fedor OR Barnett vs. Fedor?

Coutute vs. Fedor

And of course there was nobody at your bar compared to a UFC card - people know about UFC, nobody gives a crap about any other MMA (aside from Kimbo) yet.

Ok, if what Silva did was a "beating" what exactly do you consider what Fedor did? A maiming?

Unfortunately I didn't watch Affliction, so I can't really speak on that, but even so, I don't see the need to argue whether or not it can be considered a beating, seems pretty pointless to me. In my opinion, it'd be hard to look at the fight, how long it lasted, and then to see Irwin's face after the fight, it'd be hard to not say he got a beating. If your opinion differs, that fine by me, but I'll be calling it a beating.
Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

For anybody interest in the DREAM GP

Aoki vs. Uno was the typical Aoki dominated fight. Aoki managed to take Uno down following knee, then just worked him over, almost finishing at the end of the first with a triangle. Aoki eventually let go when it seemed like a lost cause and Uno survived. More of the same in the second, Aoki by UD. EDIT: Aoki's knee reminded me of one fight were Aoki actually looked somewhat comfortable striking, it was one of the Kikuchi fights where he landed some knees and punches. They looked to have zero power, but they were crisp at least.

Eddie vs. Kawajiri was one of the best single round fights you'll ever see. Both guys got dropped and survived, the last bit is just exchanges, both guys landing nice shots, until Eddie eventually sneaks in a nice straight-uppercut combo that drops Kawajiri. Eddie thought it was over right there, but politely did a bit more damage on the ground to finally convince the ref to stop it.

Unfortunately it was ruled Eddie couldn't continue into the tournament due to a cut under the eye he got in the semis, So Hansen wins the reserve bout and ends up facing Aoki in the finals. Not much happens, until Hansen KO's Aoki from standing guard and continues to rain the punches until the ref steps in.

As far as I know, Eddie was sidelined because of doctors and officials or whatever, not because he thought he was injured. At least that's the way it sounded when the announcers were discussing it. I saw the fights in singly, so I missed where they announced it officially.

Anyways, still haven't watched the whole thing yet. Only thing I'm left interested in is Overeem/Hunt. Which I can see Hunt losing by sub.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

I'm guessing the next show after 6 is in late October-November, so hopefully then if everything goes well.

Affliction fighter salaries, taken from MMAWeekly.com

The California State Athletic Commission on Monday released the fighter salary information for Affliction “Banned,” featuring Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia, which took place on Saturday, July 19, at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The following figures are based on the fighter salary information that promoters are required by law to submit to the state athletic commissions, including the winners' bonuses.

Although mixed martial arts fighters do not have collective bargaining or a union, the fighters' salaries are still public record, just as with every other major sport in the United States. Any undisclosed bonuses that a promoter also pays its fighters, but does not disclose to the athletic commissions (specifically, pay-per-view bonuses, fight of the night bonuses, etc.), are not included in the figures below.

In the listings below, "Main Event Fighters" are defined as fighters who compete in the main event of a show. "Main Card Fighters" are defined as fighters whose fights appear on the main card, but not in the main event. "Preliminary Card Fighters" are defined as fighters whose matches take place before the live broadcast goes on the air, regardless of whether or not those matches end up airing on the TV or Internet broadcast.

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

– Fedor Emelianenko ($300,000/no win bonus) def. Tim Sylvia ($800,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

– Andre Arlovski ($750,000/$250,000 win bonus) def. Ben Rothwell ($250,000)

– Josh Barnett ($300,000/no win bonus) def. Pedro Rizzo ($70,000)

– Mark Hominick ($10,000/win bonus was $5,000) def. Savant Young ($7,000)

– Renato “Babalu” Sobral ($90,000/win bonus was $30,000) def. Mike Whitehead ($50,000)

– Matt Lindland ($300,000/win bonus was $75,000) def. Fabio “Negao” Nascimiento ($20,000)

– Antonio Rogerio Nogueira ($50,000/no win bonus) def. Edwin Dewees ($15,000)

– Mike Pyle ($20,000/win bonus was $5,000) def. J.J. Ambrose ($5,000)

PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS

– Vitor Belfort ($140,000/win bonus was $70,000) def. Terry Martin ($30,000)

– Paul Buentello ($80,000/win bonus was $20,000) def. Gary Goodridge ($25,000)

– Justin Levens ($6,000) vs. Ray Lizama ($3,000)*

*Bout did not take place. Total pay was negotiated.

AFFLICTION “BANNED” DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $3,321,000

I'm more amazed that Fedor made so little (compartively).

Me as well. One would think UFC would give him more.

They would... but part of what he wanted in his UFC contract was for a bunch of his Red Devil teammates to be given contracts, and the UFC just wasn't interested in them.

I watched the Fight Night 14 event on my flight last night - I don't know anything about MMA, but the way they build the Edgar/Franca fight left me really impressed with the way Edgar won. But then again, it might not have been much of a surprise to anyone who does know something :\

I really wanted Irvin to hold out against Anderson Silva - but I wasn't surprised that he got so beaten so easily.

Affliction spoilers (payment talk):

Surely Fedor must be getting a portion of the PPV buys? Not just that he's got a comparatively small salary, but I can't see why he wouldn't have a win bonus. I think his performance-related bonus is in drawing power, rather than being paid to win.

I'm more amazed that Fedor made so little (compartively).

Me as well. One would think UFC would give him more.

They would... but part of what he wanted in his UFC contract was for a bunch of his Red Devil teammates to be given contracts, and the UFC just wasn't interested in them.

Hmm, are they in Affliction?

I read that the UFC wouldn't let him do his Sambo tournaments, and that's what screwed up the negotiations.

Fedor's management had a whole laundry list of requests that UFC wanted no part of. The Red Devil fighters were one thing, Fedor's allowance to compete in Combat Sambo was another big thing (if you have ever seen Russian Combat Sambo, you know why they didn't want Fedor doing that on the side). It even got as ridiculous as Fedor's manager asking for UFC events in Russia. I wasn't at the meetings, nor was anybody reporting on them, so who knows how serious this shit really wasfor sure. Overall, the two sides didn't seem to have much success in negotiations for whatever reason. Then there was M-1, then there wasn't, now they're still kinda there for some reason and it still has something to do with Fedor and Russia, but I'm not sure what the deal is. I don't really care either. I just like it when good fighters fight other fighters in a fighting venue which will be watched by fight fans.

Off topic, Mandy Moore is easily my favorite Octogon rat.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy