MMA News and Discussion Thread

but the guy hasn't fought an elite opponent since 05 when he beat Cro Cop.

TIM SYLVIA... man. Tim Sylvia is the same guy Randy Couture defeated for his Heavyweight Title. Tim Sylvia is the same guy Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera defeated for his Heavyweight Title. And guess what? Randy could only beat him by decision. Antonio beat him in the third round. Fedor EMBARRASSED him and beat him in 36 seconds...

I've been away for a couple a couple of days so I'm a little slow to this, but that may be one of the funniest things I've read on this board. Tim Sylvia an elite fighter? You must be having a laugh.

I don't like him, but he beat Andrei Arlovski twice. People are saying, "Ooh, if Fedor beats Arlovski, then maybe that would prove something!"

He beat Tim Sylvia. Tim Sylvia beat Arlovski twice. Besides Nogueira, Sylvia was probably the most legitimate heavyweight Fedor could fight at the time...

He's still ranked #7 or #8 in Sherdog's rankings, and considering the three people he's lost to over the last couple years are Couture, Nogueira, and Fedor (three elite Heavyweights), I'd say that puts him on a pretty high pedestal.

I still think he's an apeish looking motherfucker who doesn't know how to fight, but his record speaks for itself.

Someone with love for Sylvia? Good god. Sorry but I cant stand the guy one bit. He bored me to death if I'm being honest. I didn't see anything in him as a fighter and I just couldn't bare myself to watch many of his fights, because he just came across as bland and really average. Couture beating him was one of the best sights I ever witnessed, because it ended the nightmare of his title run. I wouldn't rate him nowhere near half the top people out there, but I guess that's just my opinion, just doesn't interest me one bit.

And Liddell/Couture AGAIN? Heck, I'm all for it. And this rumour about Silva possibly going against the winner of Griffin/Rashad or Silva/Jackson sounds awesome. I'd love to see Griffin/Silva, would make a very interesting fight.

And uh, another thing... heh... I wouldn't really want Fedor to go to UFC for one more reason: The Octagon. Fedor fights in rings, not cages.

If Fedor is the number one fighter in the world, why would it matter where he fights? Surely the idea of being a mixed martial artist is that he is comfortable fighting in any surround, that is the whole point of MMA, mixing styles and proving you are capable of overcoming any obstacle. Its a bullshit excuse for Fedor just as it was for all the other PRIDE guys who came into the UFC and got shown up in short order. 'Oh no, we have to fight in an Octagon, oh no, we can't kick opponents in the head when they're on the floor, oh no, we have to do drugs tests', its all bullshit.

I don't think he'll ever fight Randy, though. Couture isn't as desirable a fight anymore, plus Fedor himself said he likes Randy and would rather not fight someone he has a connection with like that, where they're friends and like each other...

When did Fedor become Tito Ortiz?

1) So you've got Arlovski (who Fedor will beat)

2) The thing is, though, he doesn't have shit to prove. He beat the #2 fighter twice. That alone is enough of an accomplishment that he doesn't have shit left to do.

3) Oh, and one more thing, as far as you sort of implying nobody gives a shit about Fedor in the States, saying that a lot of people don't care about him, Fedor versus Sylvia did a fine job selling out for Affliction's first PPV.

4) And uh, another thing... heh... I wouldn't really want Fedor to go to UFC for one more reason: The Octagon. Fedor fights in rings, not cages.

1) Don't be so sure on that one. Arlovski is getting better all the time, and is one of the most agile, powerful strikers in the heavyweight division to complement an-all round game. The difference between modern day and 2000/01 Arlovski is amazing. Is Fedor the favourite? Of course. To say he 'will beat' him? That's one hell of an oversight in my eyes.

2) Although beating a Jiu-Jitsu guy on points isn't exactly an astounding accomplishment. I'd like to have seen them work under Royce/Sakuraba rules and get a decisive winner.

3) Not strictly true. Affliction were still selling the $50 seats very close to the event, despite them being notorious for selling out the quickest among fans. Yes it sold out (although Wikipedia says 3,500 weren't paid tickets), but a fine job? I wouldn't say so.

4) That shouldn't be an issue, all the great fighters have fought in both. Couture, Wanderlei and Anderson Silva, Liddell, Nogueira, Rampage, Coleman, Penn all did both. Hell, even Sakuraba fought twice in the UFC and picked up a win. The cage is as much as, if not more relevant to MMA than the ring, so he'd do himself no harm by fighting in both at least once or twice. That's part of my reasoning as to why Fedor has to come to the UFC to rubber stamp his claim as the best.

Apart from that though, I agree that having him out the UFC is creating competition which will hopefully be healthy. Although, the three or four magazines I pick up regularly are reporting that a lot of companies are really suffering. However, one of them did spell Jeff Mullen Geoff Molan, so take that with a pinch of salt. :D

Edited by Zombie Lesnar

I'm actually very excited about Arlovski/Fedor.

Like has been mentioned, Andrei now is a much different, more focused and more well rounded fighter than he was when he was Heavyweight Champion. Plus, he's a Sambo expert, which also adds an element of excitement to the fight, because he'll be able to hang with Fedor in that style, where most of Fedor's opponents are completely outclassed.

I think it'll come down to whether or not Emelianenko can rock The Pitbull in the early moments. If he can, he'll likely get a quick win. If he can't, it should turn into a pretty brutal fight.

Maybe I'm putting too much stock in Arlovski's performance on the last EliteXC against Ben Rothwell. I thought that fight showed that Arlovski is capable of getting wins, but he isn't on Fedor's level... That's what I saw in Andrei anyway.

Andrei could win. I'm not going to take that away from him. But barring some mistake on Fedor's part, or a lucky shot from Andrei, it ain't happening... That's all I meant.

It's going to be a very exciting fight to watch.

MMAJunkie is reporting that Urijah Faber will be fighting Jose Aldo in January. Also, MMAWeekly is reporting that we will see Faber vs. Jens Pulver in January. I am not sure which is correct but I'd rather see Faber/Pulver just because the first one was awesome and this could be just as good.

But also this could very well end up being Pulver's third loss in a row and his fifth loss in his last sixth fight since he returned to the UFC/Zuffa in 2006.

Edited by Fitzy

Yeah, I don't think Pulver could beat Faber in a rematch. Their first fight was awesome, very exciting and back and forth, but Faber won every round pretty decisively, if memory serves.

EDIT:

- It is believed Anderson Silva has four or five fights left on his current deal. He wants to finish up to do a boxing match with Roy Jones.

Still think Silva will be around long enough to fight the best of the best after they do all these gimmick fights?

Edited by Master Shakespeare

Big Dave is reporting that Jorge Gurgel and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou have both been cut. Not overly surprising for me, both men weren't ever really going anywhere in the UFC. Gurgel has been picked up by Strikeforce though.

Also, the AKA fighters all backed down and signed the contracts that had them all on the brink of being fired if they didn't.

Can't say I am surprised by Sokoudjou being released. But as for Gurgel, sure he didn't have the best record but I thought since he put on some good performances that he would be safe. They should've moved him to WEC to help out that lightweight division, though, instead of out right cutting him.

Can't say I am surprised by Sokoudjou being released. But as for Gurgel, sure he didn't have the best record but I thought since he put on some good performances that he would be safe. They should've moved him to WEC to help out that lightweight division, though, instead of out right cutting him.

I agree that a move to WEC would probably have been best... but the thing with Gurgel is... as he was fighting with the UFC, he wasn't much of a threat. He was incredibly entertaining, but not much of a threat. The problem with him in WEC is that if he ever decides to actually utilize his Jiu-Jitsu to compliment his striking, he'd be damn near unstoppable in the WEC.

Who's to say though, that when they cut him, Zuffa didn't send him a WEC contract? Strikeforce is doing extremely well for itself right now, and I wouldn't blame fighters for wanting to be there over the WEC.

Pulver/Faber II? Could possibly make an even more exciting three round fight, but at the same time could also be the worst thing for Jens. Faber with only three rounds to hold him back could be deadly.

I'd like to see if Jens can put together a more effective game plan for a Urijah Faber he respects standing up going into the fight. Absorbing that big right hand with the side of his head really burned Jens last time, he'd be expecting that from the get go this time, I'd like to see if he can avoid and answer Faber's bombs. Jens is only 33, but man has he been in some hard hitting fights, in recent years he has looked like he has lost his step, those wars he has taken part in most likely a contributing factor to his decline. If Pulver is going to win a three round fight against Urijah Faber, he is going to have to be one step ahead of Faber at all times. I don't know if I have faith in the modern day Jens Pulver doing that.

If I were Faber, I'd just go back to being a GnP machine, try to put Jens down and beat him down as quick as possible. Not only would it be a statement, it would a big time confidence booster for Urijah coming off his title loss.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

To provide some discussion, and to homo this place up a bit. Who would everyone say is physically the most impressive looking fighter?

Yes, this could get pretty gay, and coming from the recent discussion of him - I think I have to say Urijah Faber.

6.jpg

Guy looks unreal. <_< He's just like a tiny little ball of muscle.

Edited by IAceI

UFC will finally have a show modeled after the HBO 24/7 TV shows and have it for St. Pierre vs. Penn II. Meltzer originally said they were going to do this for Couture vs. Lesnar but for some reason or another it never got done. But this is a fight with more history to fill three shows so it could be better used here. MMAJunkie says it won't be produced by Spike TV like the Countdown shows are. So "slicker production" will be used. It is called UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn and it will be 3 half hour shows starting Wednesday, January 14, at 10:30 on Spike.

That sounds pretty f'n cool. I am amped for GSP versus Penn II. I'm thinking Penn is gonna pull this win out, man. He's more focused, more determined, more conditioned than he was during the first fight, which was a pretty controversial split decision loss. I love GSP, but I think Penn is going to find a way to submit him. His jiujitsu is so crisp and he has excellent takedown defense to counter GSP's incredible takedown ability. Gonna be a real awesome fight.

Although initial estimates peg the event's total number of pay-per-view "buys" at approximately 800,000, a source within the cable industry told MMAjunkie.com that the figure is likely closer to 700,000 with the possibility of rising to 750,000 to 800,000 in the coming weeks.

-MMAJunkie

Still really good numbers.

I got a PM from Biggz on MMAPlayground.com and he says that Sherdog is saying that with the economy the way it is, Yahoo is potentially looking to make budget cuts and in the MMA department, the only one to go would be Meltzer. Awful decision on their part if this turns out to be true.