MMA News and Discussion Thread

Anyone watch WEC 37 Torres vs. Tapia? Good night of fights.

Benavidez looked really good in his debut. His fight against Martinez was fight of the night I'd say.

Bowles also continued to impress me. Good fight against Ribeiro.

Really good technical stuff going on in the Fabiano/Tamura fight in the first round. Not the most exciting fight, though. Mir is right, both need to work on stuff as right now I don't see either as a top contender

Torres is awesome. I don't think anyone can stop this guy. Bowles vs. Torres should be a good fight, though.

Meltzer says tonight was the start of a new direction for WEC in that each card will feature a title fight and a fight underneath it that will determine the top contender so they don't run into a repeat of how Mike Brown got a shot at Urijah Faber without ever being shown on TV before.

So yeah, I enjoyed it. But WEC never disappoints, in my opinion.

Next up for WEC is Faber vs. Pulver II and Varner vs. Cerrone for the lightweight title and McCullough vs. Hicks on January 25 (same night as the Royal Rumble).

so is Kimbo going to K-1? He's a guest commentator for the semi-finals right now, replacing Ernesto Hoost who commentated the quarter-finals.

It's been surreal so far. I don't know who any of these guys are, but one guy entering to Goldberg's music (and annoying douchebag english announcer actually acknowledging it), another one entering to Eminem's "Mockingbird"... weird shit.

Badr Hari is a fucking badass, though. Hong-Man Choi is about to fight. I'm always up for a good MMA freakshow, which is why I like Kimbo :shifty:

Anyone with Nuts TV on here? Cage Rage is live now on it. Neil Grove has a shot at the Heavyweight title which should be pretty good.

So far its been alright...

...a 1-minute kimura submission and a 12-second KO...
although there was a bit of messing around when a K-1 veteran forgot his mouth guard. Middleweight title fight too.

MMAJunkie.com is reporting:

A lightweight showdown between "The Ultimate Fighter 5" winner Nate Diaz and Clay Guida has been booked for "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" according to GracieFighter.com, the official web site for Cesar Gracie's training camp.

An official announcement of the bout has yet to come from the organization.

Guida was unwilling to confirm the matchup when contacted by MMAjunkie.com. "I haven't signed any contracts yet," Guida said. "But I am looking forward to fighting."

Yes, I C+P straight from the main page. This went up this morning, hadn't checked the site until now. If it's true, I'm stoked.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Is anyone else noticing a disturbing lack of buzz considering there's a show tonight, another one Saturday, and then Nog/Mir in two weeks?

Also, apropos of nothing, the top ten markets per capita for UFC 91 are Halifax, Winnipeg, Las Vegas, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, Minneapolis, San Diego and Seatle. Guess Montreal was tied up with the Habs.

The troops show hasn't really got any coverage at all here except on Setanta, but every MMA magazine going seems to have Wanderlei Silva on the front cover. Funny, seeing as that'll probably be the third to last on the card. But yeah, I think there was that much hype for UFC 91 that 92 was always going to have little buzz, despite being a fantastic card.

Last night Corey Hill broke his leg with a kick. Pretty sick looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmkbmb7IVU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OmRpZa01iU (this is put up by Rogan as he looks at it on a commentor and wants to watch the replay a few times as he is sick like that. :shifty: )

Now my thoughts on the rest of the show:

Nice to see Swick live up to his nickname once again. He just destroyed Goulet. Great stuff.

Saunders was a beast in there with those knees. What an awesome performance by him. Wolff took a nasty beating there.

And Koscheck with an awesome knockout. Just seeing Yoshida out on his feet like that before taking another shot to the chin was crazy.

Also, what was up with Cantwell being all "I was waiting to do that for a long time" in reference to breaking someone's arm? That is an awful thing to say. I AM TROLL

Credeur looked pretty good.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The newest Observer has a VERY good piece on the early days of UFC, and MMA/pro wrestling crossovers.

Two obscure facts for you:

Heath Herring once teamed with Terry Funk in Japan

Randy Couture's first UFC match was a victory over Tony Halme (aka LUDVIG BORGA).

Injury list:

Corey Hill has undergone surgery and will be out of action for approximately 12 to 18 months.

Headliner Yoshiyuki Yoshida, who suffered a brutal knockout to Josh Koscheck, left the cage on a stretcher. He was treated for a concussion and released from the hospital that same night.

Jonathan Goulet, who suffered a quick knockout to Mike Swick in the night co-main event, was also treated and released due to a concussion. A potential knee injury will be examined when he returns home to Canada.

Razaak Al-Hassan, who suffered a gruesome armbar submission to Steve Cantwell, did not break his arm. However, he did suffer a a dislocated right elbow. His management tells MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he flew home today and plans to attend tonight's Adrenaline MMA II show in Moline, Ill.