MMA News and Discussion Thread

Levens and Wife Found Dead

Thursday, December 18, 2008

by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com) (Photos by Jeff Sherwood)

Light heavyweight Justin Levens and his wife Sara McLean-Levens were found dead Wednesday from gunshot wounds in their home in Laguna Niguel, Calif., the Orange County Sheriff’s Department has confirmed to Sherdog.com. Levens was 28 years old.

“Preliminarily, until they finish the investigation, it is being looked at as a murder-suicide,” said Lt. V. Wilson.

Wilson said deputies and investigators were dispatched to the residence Wednesday after being informed of the deaths. Wilson would not identify who had found the bodies and/or contacted authorities, though a CBS 2 online report said the mother of the deceased female had discovered the bodies and called police, who arrived around 2:30 p.m. PST.

An investigation into the deaths was opened on Wednesday, which Wilson described as “ongoing.”

A standout on the central California circuit, Levens found early success in the World Extreme Cagefighting promotion and went undefeated in his first seven fights.

Levens made his Octagon debut against Evan Tanner at UFC 59 in September 2006, but lost to the seasoned veteran via a first-round triangle choke submission.

A stint with the IFL followed, where Levens fought for his mentor Marco Ruas’ Southern California Condors’ team and went 0-3.

Levens was scheduled to face Ray Lazama at Affliction "Banned" on July 19 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., but the bout was cancelled that night due to time constraints. The California State Atheltic Commission later announced that Levens had tested positive for the painkiller oxymorphone during pre-fight testing.

In his last bout, Levens (9-8) was submitted in the first round by Kenny Ento at the Palace Fighting Championships in Lemoore, Calif.

Edited by Holiday Idol

Yeah, but Swick weighed 191 at most when he was on TUF. Florian was really tiny as well (I don't think he weighed the full 185 on TUF either).

Sanchez was a beefy motherfucker when he was on TUF at 185, and I thought he looked natural at 170, so it just shocked me that he's at 155.

But the shock is now over. I hope he kicks Stevenson's ass on his way to getting another fight with Florian. Kenny now versus Sanchez now would be interesting after how badly Sanchez owned him in the TUF season finale.

Jon Fitch: one moment having the longest win streak in UFC and challenging for the welterweight title, next thing he finds himself fired and rehired, and then finds himself on the preliminary card against Akihiro Gono at UFC 94. I mean, Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim or Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones gets on the main card but this doesn't? That's some odd placement.

Anderson Silva's next opponent looks to be Thales Leites for the Middleweight title in Montreal in April.

Edited by Fitzy

Jon Fitch: one moment having the longest win streak in UFC and challenging for the welterweight title, next thing he finds himself fired and rehired, and then finds himself on the preliminary card against Akihiro Gono at UFC 94. I mean, Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim or Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones gets on the main card but this doesn't? That's some odd placement.

Anderson Silva's next opponent looks to be Thales Leites for the Middleweight title in Montreal in April.

Kim had an exciting fight last time out and Karo is a recognisible name, I'd probably put Fitch's fight on instead of Bonnar but I guess this is what happens when you're in the doghouse.

And the K1 Dynamite show has so much random stuff on it, Sapp/Kinniku Mantaro is obviously top of the list but Cro Cop/Choi Hong Man? Mark Hunt (Who hasn't won a fight in two years) against LeBanner (Who hasn't fought in two years)? Some good stuff in their as well Shinya Aoki/Eddie Alvarez should be top notch, Sakabura's fight will be interesting as well.

That K1 show allready has 16 fights... how long is that going to take??? :wacko:

Its not uncommon for Japanese companies to run shows that last five/six hours. Given that this is the New Years Eve show and is starting at 3:00pm, they may be looking to go seven plus hours and then have some countdown celebration afterwards.

I've also just noticed that Katsuyori Shibata is on the card, not that I want him to lose but dammit I miss him in the wrestling ring!

Edited by The Man Called NBT

I'm so exciting for UFC 92, I may puke. I remember when Wandy and Page fought for the first time. November 2003. It was awesome, not only was it the biggest grudge match in Japan that year, but it was the finals of the most dramatic and memorable tournament ever held in MMA, in my opinion. Back in 2003, I was a year into watching MMA religious, (Shammy/Tito brought me back to UFC, which opened the doors for MMA of all sorts) Wandy and Page's feud was the biggest deal in 03 in PRIDE. Now both guys are headlining the the biggest UFC card of the year. It's got this kind of full circle feeling surrounding it.

Props to Wanderlei Silva. I'd say the fight were he truly became a star was against Guy Mezger in August of 2000 and he's been one of the dominating fighters in the game since, save for his most recent dry spell. That could easily be put to rest after his epic last year against Liddell, destroying Jardine earlier in 08, and repeating his past successes against Page again this weekend.

Just looking at the card you can see how much the UFC, and MMA in general, has changed in such a short period of time. Former PRIDE champions and stars are fighting and main eventing year end UFC cards, two TUF winners are also headlining and fighting each other for gold, Frank Mir is actually relevant again in the MMA universe. That's just looking at the change from this event. No Chuck Liddell. No Randy Couture. No Matt Hughes. No Tito Ortiz. I can remember discussions years ago about if the UFC could keep doing big business once those guys were no longer the top dogs in the company and their was serious doubt from critics if UFC could attract other world class fighters or create their own stars coming out of TUF.

100% Agreed, Fitzy. Next to the big three fights on the 94 card, Diaz vs. Guida obviously being the 3rd, Gono vs. Fitch is not only more anticipated by myself, but is easily the more important fight compared to Bonnar/Jones and Karo/Kim. Wasn't Jon Fitch the guy who was supposed to beat GSP? Didn't he show more guts, balls, skill, and durability then 98% of the world's other fighters by lasting 5 rounds and still staying competitive against the most motivated GSP ever? Fuck, I love Karo, but Fitch will get another shot at the WW belt before Karo does. Or at least that's what should happen.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

This is possibly the show I've most looked forward to in the UFC. I just cant wait to see Rashad/Griffin, been a big fan of both of them since seeing the two in TUF and although I love Rashad, I cant ever go against Griffin, because he's just everything I love about MMA.

Oh and I want to see Rampage kill somebody. Send everybody a message that you are crazy and that everybody who steps in the cage is going to get slaughtered, well I can hope :shifty: