MMA News and Discussion Thread

Rampage with only three rounds to work with is deadly against a fighter like Keith Jardine. Jardine is a pretty square fighter, IMO. Not dissing the guy, he's skilled and tough as nails, but compared to the top of chain, he is a textbook counter fighter.

No doubt the Liddell fight established Keith, but that was a horrible opponent for Chuck in hindsight. Counter fighter vs. counter fighter where Chuck kept waiting for Keith to present himself for the slaughter while Jardine just sat back and did work. This is not how Rampage operates.

If I'm Page, I'm coming out and making Jardine very uncomfortable early. Not even with strikes, getting into close quarters and trap him against the fence, work the clinch with body shots, get Jardine's head off the course of thinking this is going to be a rangy kick boxing bout. I think if Page wants to, he can try to get Jardine on his back and end this quickly from top position.

Jardine's TDD is very underrated, and Rampages wrestling is very overrated. He is a good wrestler, but everyone i know acts as if he has Matt Hamill or Mark Munoz Wrestling ability.

Jardine should he stay awake can dominate this fight with absolutely brutal leg kicks, if he doesn't screw up this fight is winnable for him. It's retarded that so many people think he will die tonight.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

My thoughts on UFC 96:

Main event had a few lulls, but the moments of action made up for it. Surprised Rampage didn't look better though, I don't think he'll be able to beat Evans. Neat to see Rampage doing some kicks and takedowns though.

Shane Carwin is a monster. Maybe he gets the Lesnar/Mir loser?

lol at Pete Sell being hyped to the moon and then fighting like he left his brain on the moon.

Here are my 2 cents on the PPV.

The ref in the Sell/Brown fight was horible, he needs to get shot. WTF.

Jardine could have won that fight, i think Machida deserves the shot more. I mean barely beating Jardine in a fight where he could have won the fight, the cards are close enough. I just don't get why they would give a guy a title shot who could for all intents and purposes wind up in prison.

Carwin is tough, but his striking is horrible and his cardio is aswell.

Great preformance by Hamill, awesome kick. He just keeps on getting better.

Vera got a much needed win, if he lost he would be a waste of space on the roster.

That said, Rashad beats Rampage in May.

Jardine could have won that fight, i think Machida deserves the shot more. I mean barely beating Jardine in a fight where he could have won the fight, the cards are close enough. I just don't get why they would give a guy a title shot who could for all intents and purposes wind up in prison.

Vera got a much needed win, if he lost he would be a waste of space on the roster.

The guy fucking deserves a title shot, I don't see why you're getting worked up about it.

Glad Rampage won and I'm calling it now that he'll knock Rashad out. I've been a fan of Rashad from day one, great fighter and on the day anything can happen, I just think Rampage is going to come out on top after all the trash talk. Should be a fantastic fight and I'd rather see this than Machida in there.

The guy fucking deserves a title shot, I don't see why you're getting worked up about it.

Glad Rampage won and I'm calling it now that he'll knock Rashad out. I've been a fan of Rashad from day one, great fighter and on the day anything can happen, I just think Rampage is going to come out on top after all the trash talk. Should be a fantastic fight and I'd rather see this than Machida in there.

I don't like either Rampage because he is a deuchebag. The guy cost a woman her unborn baby because he was in a "altered" state of mind. He should be in prison not fighting for the UFC Title.

Rashad has this fight though. Rashad has the boxing and wrestling advantage to go along with athleticsm. But Rampage hits harder, is stronger and has a granite chin. It should be a great fight.

IMO the only good thing that can/will comeout of Rampage getting a title shot and if he wins, would be Forrest/Rampage II, Jackson wants and with a win i think Forrest is behind Machida in the pecking order but still top of the line.

UFC 96

Good night all around. Also nice that we got to see almost all the fights except for the fight between Nelson and Riley due to what Meltzer claims is the worst stoppage ever. I doubt we'll ever see it unless some one happened to film it from the crowd.

Speaking of Meltzer, he always mentions this "everyone's favorite music video" that airs right before the event. Does anyone know if this is on youtube or something?

Vera is "back." He looked really good out there. I think he is ready to make an impact on the light heavyweight division now. Now Boetsch is a guy who can't seem to stay consistant. He is going back and forth in winning and losing fights. Grove, like Vera, was pretty much on the verge of being cut by UFC but he showed tonight that he might still have that potential to be someone again. Looked great in there. McCrory is always fun to watch. I liked his promo on White and entrance music. Good stuff.

Good stuff with Maynard and Miller. Maynard showed how tough it is to take him down. I think soon Maynard will be right with the top lightweights. Not only does he have strong wrestling and shows that it is tough to take him down, but he showed he has some good boxing as well. He's one of those guys like Koscheck who has the wrestling down strong but continues to improve other aspects with each fight. He's going to only continue to get better and better. Hamill with that head kick was brutal! Some bad refereeing in the Sell/Brown fight. You don't run in and grab the guy and then go "no, continue." Sell took some unnecessary punishment in there and Brown wanted none of that but had to do it to win the fight. Good showing by Shane Carwin. He took some big shots from Gonzaga to the chin and it didn't knock him down but one to Gonzaga's chin shows just how much power this guy has. I don't think he is ready to face Lesnar or Mir yet. I think he should get the loser of Couture/Nogueira next, though. And lastly, good fight between Jackson and Jardine. Also, good promo from Jackson with Evans.

It's good that they are pushing Lesnar vs. Mir 2 back and holding it off until UFC 100. This is a huge fight and headlining UFC 100 is where it really belongs. Plus GSP/Alves underneath that is also nice. There's no reason to risk Lesnar losing before this huge fight. Plus there is no one ready to even challenge him anyways, so holding it off was the only thing they could do.

Evans vs. Jackson at UFC 98 is a good replacement. Should be a good fight.

Edited by Fitzy

Carwin looked really impressive. I'm sure the claims of "fluke" will be abound, but I think of the two, if anyone is a fluke, it's Gonzaga. He talked so much shit going into the fight, it was pretty awesome to see him go down like all the rest. Gonzaga is supposed to be a monster on top of you, but Carwin just nonchalantly got up and knocked him out.

Carwin, like Jardine, needs to learn to keep his hands up and block punches. He took a few big shots from Gonzaga. Speaking of Jardine, I think if he'd kept his hands up during that fight, he could've won or possibly drawn. He came pretty close to winning the fight in the final round until he got rocked by Rampage right at the buzzer. It's a shame, too, because I personally mark for the Dean of Mean.

I can't wait for Rampage versus Evans. I hope Evans knocks his ass out. Rampage isn't going to be able to take Evans down like he did with Jardine, and Rashad has a much stronger chin than Keith, in my estimation. It should be an awesome fight with Rashad having plenty of time to knock Rampage out. Nobody can withstand a big shot from Evans, but plenty have survived Rampage's best punch... Rashad swings to kill.

Pretty weak show overall to be honest, but mostly because of the weird Yves Lavigne moment and some general inaction on the card. I'm not a fan of UFC events that lack title bouts.

The UFC have never aired that hype video Fitzy, so unless someone films whilst at the show and then uploads it I doubt it'll ever get onto YouTube. Apparently its a recap of the UFC's entire history with clips from the very beginning in it. Maybe they'll show it at UFC 100?

I don't like either Rampage because he is a deuchebag. The guy cost a woman her unborn baby because he was in a "altered" state of mind. He should be in prison not fighting for the UFC Title.

Wow. Just... wow.

Machida, people like Fitzy know I've been calling him the #1 contender for about two years now, should NOT get the title shot before Rampage. Rampage was the champion, then lost in a controversial decision. To me if that's the case the former champ should get an immediate rematch. Now he didn't, and he's won two fights in a row against two excellent fighters. He deserves to fight for the title.

And I'm going off memory, but the whole baby mama thing was said to be sketchy at best. Put it this way, they never sued. I'm not sure if they settled, but if he actually caused it, we'd hear a lot more about it and they wouldn't settle. I think the only damage to her car/van was the rearview mirror fell. Dana only commented on it once, and outside of the initial report never heard about it again... all I know from all accounts is that whole story from the lady is incredibly sketchy. And your notion that "I just don't get why they would give a guy a title shot who could for all intents and purposes wind up in prison." Rampage has already done a plea deal. He has 200 hours of community service, which the UFC will monitor. And he has some courses to take. If the judge sees that he completed it all by next year he's done what the law required of him.

Where are you getting your information. Jesus.

Good showing by Shane Carwin. He took some big shots from Gonzaga to the chin and it didn't knock him down but one to Gonzaga's chin shows just how much power this guy has. I don't think he is ready to face Lesnar or Mir yet. I think he should get the loser of Couture/Nogueira next, though.

See this is where I argue with people on the fight. Let me state first and foremost that Carwin did excellent and I'm not detracting from his win. He still had to overcome adversity and win the fight. But this was more Gonzaga's fault than Carwin's win. He had him rocked and instead of teeing off with strikes... he forces him into the cage and goes for a single allowing Carwin to recover. From there Carwin gets taken down, easily gets up, and nails Zaga. If Zaga had simply not done that he had Carwin hurt and probably could have finished.

Carwin's power is there... but people are overestimating it. That shot had power because he's strong, but he didn't KO Zaga because of some ungodly strength. It's the fact that it was right on the button. You can get hit with the guys hardest shot not on the button and survive or take a relatively weak shot on the button and go down in a heap. Good shot, but it was the accuracy that caused the KO as opposed to his power.

Good night all around. Also nice that we got to see almost all the fights except for the fight between Nelson and Riley due to what Meltzer claims is the worst stoppage ever. I doubt we'll ever see it unless some one happened to film it from the crowd.

It's in Dana's latest blog.

Speaking of Meltzer, he always mentions this "everyone's favorite music video" that airs right before the event. Does anyone know if this is on youtube or something?

The one they put to Baba O'Riley? If so... yeah... the absolute best highlight video I've ever seen. It's been over a year since I seen it, but I remember being in awe and just so pumped afterwards.

Good stuff with Maynard and Miller. Maynard showed how tough it is to take him down. I think soon Maynard will be right with the top lightweights. Not only does he have strong wrestling and shows that it is tough to take him down, but he showed he has some good boxing as well. He's one of those guys like Koscheck who has the wrestling down strong but continues to improve other aspects with each fight. He's going to only continue to get better and better.

I honestly can not see Maynard in the top of the lightweight division. I know he is there by virtue of his wins... He has decent power, strong wrestling, and decent boxing. But when I watch him I don't see champion material. I see those elite lightweights being able to easily beat him, while the other guys will have trouble with him.

Pretty weak show overall to be honest, but mostly because of the weird Yves Lavigne moment and some general inaction on the card. I'm not a fan of UFC events that lack title bouts.

I thought it was a pretty strong showing from the bouts they had. No huge names outside of the main events... but a lot of solid fighters. We got to see a lot of finishes and strong performances. Not much more you could ask. And the fact that you don't like shows without title bouts tells me you care for about 4 people in the UFC. I can not express how much people like you annoy me.
Edited by ACCBiggz

They Did cover the whole killing the baby thing, it was all over the news, it was on fucking CBS for christ sakes, i even saw it on MSNBC, MSN, Yahoo it was all over.

Plus, Forrest/Rampage was not controversial. Jardine/Rampage was a hell of a lot closer then Forrest/Rampage. If you want controversial watch Hamill/Bisbing.

And Gray has all the tools to become a Champion, he is a great wrestler, his boxing is decent but improving, he hits hard, he has good cardio and he trains with XC.

And Carwin's technique is horrid. That and after his short fight vs Neil or Wellisch he was completely gassed.

If Brock and Carwin ever fought, it would end with Brock KO'ing Carwin either by GNP or on the feet.

They Did cover the whole killing the baby thing, it was all over the news, it was on fucking CBS for christ sakes, i even saw it on MSNBC, MSN, Yahoo it was all over.

Plus, Forrest/Rampage was not controversial. Jardine/Rampage was a hell of a lot closer then Forrest/Rampage. If you want controversial watch Hamill/Bisbing.

And Gray has all the tools to become a Champion, he is a great wrestler, his boxing is decent but improving, he hits hard, he has good cardio and he trains with XC.

And Carwin's technique is horrid. That and after his short fight vs Neil or Wellisch he was completely gassed.

If Brock and Carwin ever fought, it would end with Brock KO'ing Carwin either by GNP or on the feet.

I fucking love both Griffin/Rampage and to say that fight wasn't close is amazing. Maybe I haven't watched for years upon years and I'm not the most knowledgeable, but that fight was fucking almost as close as it comes. And whether you hate Rampage or not, everything biggz said is just about spot on.

And despite my love for Rashad and how I think the fight will be really close, I'm honestly hoping Rampage destroys him just because I hate people hating on this guy.

Forrest won that fight hands down, Even Rampage admitted it after the fight. And i never said it wasn't close, i said it wasn't Controversial, and it wasn't as close as Jardine/Rampage was.

Bottom Line is Forrest Won that fight, at times dominated it. Forrest lost 1 or none rounds, sure every round execpt the second were close, but overall Forrest clearly won it.

People just don't want to admitt that someone from TUF can be World Champion.

And i dont like Rampage because of what i said earlier, plus all he ever does is talk shit, he's not that funny usually just an asshole. He is like a funnier version of BJ Penn who i also can't stand.

And Rashad will beat Rampage, he holds an advantage over all of Rampages strengths except physical strength.

Edited by I Love Pokemon

Gee, for some reason I think I'll take Biggz' opinions over yours.

i don't see where are opinons differ besides who should get the next shot, and the Forrest/Rampage Fight.

take who ever fucking opinons you want i could really careless dude.

Forrest won that fight hands down, Even Rampage admitted it after the fight. And i never said it wasn't close, i said it wasn't Controversial, and it wasn't as close as Jardine/Rampage was.

Bottom Line is Forrest Won that fight, at times dominated it. Forrest lost 1 or none rounds, sure every round execpt the second were close, but overall Forrest clearly won it.

And i dont like Rampage because of what i said earlier, plus all he ever does is talk shit, he's not that funny usually just an asshole. He is like a funnier version of BJ Penn who i also can't stand.

And Rashad will beat Rampage, he holds an advantage over all of Rampages strengths except physical strength.

That fight was controversial. Rampage changed his tone at the post-fight press conference saying he thought he won. I scored it a draw, even with a 10-8 round for Forrest. Others voted for Rampage, many for Forrest, many agreed with my draw. FightMetric which is a very valuable and reliable tool breaks down between strikes, takedowns, submissions, etc. (get the report here: http://fightmetric.com/fights/Griffin-Rampage.html) and that'll debunk a lot of myths. I scored it live, but I found it quite interesting that they also scored it a draw and gave Rampage a hire performance rating. However, the fact this fight decision is still debated is the absolute definition of a controversial decision.

Well that isn't me so don't aim it at me. Forrest is my favourite fighter by a million miles and one of the main reasons I got into MMA. I fucking love the guy and in my mind there's nobody better to watch on this planet. So I really don't get where your comment is coming from.

And Rampage talks shit and backs it up, his entire UFC run has proven that. And let's be honest, why does it matter? You praise Rashad, who talks just as much shit as anyone does, whether I love him or not. I think you've got something against Rampage and for that refuse to actually realise how good he actually is. I guess we'll leave it at that and only the future will tell.

The only way it's a draw is if Rampage wins Round 1 10-8. I scored it 10-9. Some people have scored it 10-9 for Forrest which isn't a bad decision because he was clearly winning the round until he got rocked and he recoverd.

The fight was close not controversial. Rampage only changed his tune after being told by his corner. Most people who dispute the fight use one of two things "The fight was close so Rampage the champion gets the nod" " I don't Like Forrest and love Rampage so he wins" or "it may have been a draw so i will give the nod to the champ"