MMA News and Discussion Thread

What utter nonsense yet again, Dana should just tell them all to fuck off, what a load of bollocks that all is. He made a mistake and people are all over him? Complete crap, hopefully he just moves on and leaves it at that, rather than let the pathetic media and people drag him/the company down.

As for UFC 99, that card doesn't interest me one single bit outside of Franklin/Silva.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
As for UFC 99, that card doesn't interest me one single bit outside of Franklin/Silva.

Cain Velasquez is a future top-level HW fighter, and Swick/Saunders is going to be fucking insane. Even if you're not familiar with the names, you'll enjoy that match.

UFC 99 looks great, I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

As for Dana... he did everything right here. He apologized for using a word that's widely accepted by people as unacceptable... but he didn't back down any, and he shouldn't. Just as she has every right to print what she believes, he has every right to call her out on it. What he said was more personal than business, but the way she worded the article villefied Dana, which is, intended or not, also a personal attack.

I think people are blowing it out of proportion. He apologized for use of the word faggot, and that's the only apology he needs to make. Anyone who thinks he's being sexist can go [expletive] themselves.

I personally feel that Dana needs to be a bit more tactful in what he says. He has every right to say it, but with every action comes a reaction. If UFC wants to break through, and if he wants to make more money, he has to be more cautious with his public perception as it reflects directly on his company. If Bill Gates for example were to be seen in an interview calling an African-American an n-word, people would associate that action with Microsoft. Calling a woman a bitch, in a society where sexual abuse is very common, is simply not a wise thing to do.

Cain Velasquez is a future top-level HW fighter, and Swick/Saunders is going to be fucking insane. Even if you're not familiar with the names, you'll enjoy that match.

I'm more interested in Swick/Saunders than in Franklin/Silva. Is that weird?

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I don't think so, I'm in the same boat. Franklin and Wanderlei are the big draws, but quite frankly I don't see any of them ever being top contenders again. The Swick/Saunders winner, on the other hand, will be getting a shot at GSP (or Alves :shifty:) before long.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Tito Ortiz would be the first guy to come to mind.

Ehhhhh. I'd rather not use him if I could avoid it, I was hoping for somebody younger.

Nick Diaz, if it doesn't have to be somebody in UFC. Mayhem Miller might work too.

I personally feel that Dana needs to be a bit more tactful in what he says. He has every right to say it, but with every action comes a reaction. If UFC wants to break through, and if he wants to make more money, he has to be more cautious with his public perception as it reflects directly on his company. If Bill Gates for example were to be seen in an interview calling an African-American an n-word, people would associate that action with Microsoft. Calling a woman a bitch, in a society where sexual abuse is very common, is simply not a wise thing to do.

sure maybe, but Lorreta Hunt is a biased, stupid bitch who tries to villefy the UFC and Dana because of a personal vendetta. So what he said was spot on. If anything saying faggot may have been litle excessive, but words are just words, they have no power other then what we give them, no meaning other then what we give them. Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. People who let other peoples opinon of them and other peoples words hurt them or offend them are just weak minded people.

EDIT: Ninja Rua's opponent for Dream has been hurt and Rua has been since taken off of the card. Final card is as follows

Main card:

Sergei Kharitonov (16-3) vs. Jeff Monson (29-8)

Ikuhisa Minowa (41-29-8) vs. Katsuyori Shibata (2-6-1)

Andrews Nakahara (1-1) vs. Shungo Oyama (7-11)

Vitor Ribeiro (19-2) vs. Katsuhiko Nagata (4-4-1)

Welterweight Grand Prix:

Shinya Aoki (20-3) vs. Hayato Sakurai (34-8-2)

Andre Galvao (2-0) vs. John Alessio (24-12)

Yuya Shirai (15-7) vs. Jason High (6-1)

Marius Zaromskis (8-2) vs. Seichi Ikemoto (18-14-5)

Featherweight Grand Prix:

Hideo Tokoro (21-15-1) vs. Daiki Hata (10-5-3)

Edited by I Love Pokemon

Loretta Hunt is a journalist, who did what a lot of journalists do in their articles. She took a point she agreed with, got some quotes, and wrote a story that makes her viewpoint look correct.

Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant. She has every right to print that article, and as far as she's aware, based on her "sources", she reported factual information.

That said, Dana has every right to address it in whatever way he feels best. I back him 100%, and his argument about anonymous sources is right on. I don't personally like it either, but it's been a staple of journalism for decades, and it's not going anywhere.

Every time you post something, I like you a little bit less. You don't have to agree with her, but her attack was aimed at Dana White and the UFC... not at you. All you need do is express support for Dana, state what you did or did not like, and move on. There's really no need for you to go off on a Dana White-lite rant, because just like a Bud Lite, it's nowhere near as good as the real thing.

i just don't like biased journalists, they are fucking annoying and only show one side of the story and often mislead people with half-truths and lies.

And i could care less if anyone likes me, hell i'm not too popular in real life, why would i be on the internet?

That all aside, am i the only one who thinks talking about fighters p4p and ranking them is beyond retarded?

WAR MONSON. I'm a huge Jeff Monson fan, and for him to beat a top guy like Sergei, only cements the fact that Monson is a top HW, i personally think if it had not been for that las at AOW, he'd be considered Top 10. With a few more wins though he'll make it in.

Well be intresting to see if he goes back to the UFC like he said he wanted to. I know he wants to fight in ireland again, and the UFC would give him that oppertunity plus then some, i hope he does come back. Monson is one of my favorite fighters.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I'll admit I pretty much never watch Unleashed, but I've got nothing better to do tonight. The current episode has two Nick Diaz victories - is it normal for them to hype up people who aren't with the company anymore?

Yeah, they always do that. It's odd. They'd always show Randy Couture when he walked out on UFC and that whole deal. They show Tito Ortiz as well. They've shown Nick Diaz several times before. Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia, too. They don't really care it seems. I don't think they've shown Frank Shamrock before, though. So that's at least one guy who works for competition that they haven't shown.