MMA News and Discussion Thread

Pequeno means small.

Well done Pablo.. I mean, little Grasshopper. The next UFC PPV is on Sat. August 29? I saw an add for Couture/Silva with that date but it didn't say UFC 102 or anything like that, it just said UFC on Aug. 29th

I'm fluent in Spanish too and probably older. ;)

That's great you are fluent in Spanish, but Nogueira would speak Portugese and not Spanish. With that said, I believe it's still "small" in Portugese according to Wikipedia and not the online translation. Pick your poison.

So wait, Mousasi was lied to about the money UFC was offering him and to instead go to Strikeforce, right? Yet he only got $2,000 in his fight with Strikeforce...what?

Fertitta confirmed that the UFC was not going to offer him a contract, but did confirm if they signed him after the Affliction thing he'd have got his Affliction wage. They were also considering a cease and desist letter.

However, the story is this: M-1, his management, lied to him about a UFC offer and told him to sign with Strikeforce. He called Fertitta himself after signing with Strikeforce (iirc) to confirm all of this. Under the advisement of his management he inked with Strikeforce without knowing about anything else or entering negotiations with the UFC.

Edited by ACCBiggz

That's great you are fluent in Spanish, but Nogueira would speak Portugese and not Spanish. With that said, I believe it's still "small" in Portugese according to Wikipedia and not the online translation. Pick your poison.

So wait, Mousasi was lied to about the money UFC was offering him and to instead go to Strikeforce, right? Yet he only got $2,000 in his fight with Strikeforce...what?

Fertitta confirmed that the UFC was not going to offer him a contract, but did confirm if they signed him after the Affliction thing he'd have got his Affliction wage. They were also considering a cease and desist letter.

However, the story is this: M-1, his management, lied to him about a UFC offer and told him to sign with Strikeforce. He called Fertitta himself after signing with Strikeforce (iirc) to confirm all of this. Under the advisement of his management he inked with Strikeforce without knowing about anything else or entering negotiations with the UFC.

Clearly this was a better decision though... I mean, just think of the matches!

Mousasi Vs Bobby Southworth

Mousasi Vs Kevin Randleman

Mousasi Vs Babalu II: Die Harder

Don't really need to pick my poison. Portugese adopted a lot of Spanish words into their language.

• Like 1

Are we done with our pissing contest boys?

Onto some actual MMA discussion, yeah?

The NSAC has made three revisions to their rules.

1. No foreign substances may be applied to a fighter...

2. A ref may go to video replay, if available, to determine if the end of a fight was a result of legal or illegal tactics...

3. Non-title fights between "Championship Calibre" fighters may go 5 rounds...

So, discussion... I thought number 1 was already a rule... video replay is a great idea, especially for instances like Cro Cop Vs Al-Turk, but I think more discussion needs to be made. If they see that, the ref rules it a no contest. It's more fair for Al-Turk, as it isn't a loss, but it's a wasted training camp and blackens Cro Cop's record. Personally, I think the fighter who received the illegal shot should be allowed to decide whether to continue, or walk away with a no contest. So Cro Cop looks like he wins by TKO, it gets reviewed, and Al-Turk gets to choose if he can go on, or if he wants to take a no contest and heal up.

Number 3 is interesting, but what are championship calibre fighters? I think it should just be Title Fights and Main Events. Franklin/Wanderlei would have been an awesome five round war... but are either man really "Championship Calibre" fighters right now? They're big names, but could they really win the titles at 185 or 205 right now? The wording is a little odd.

Also, it's been rumored that Lesnar will face Shane Carwin at 106, I believe... and that the Carwin/Cain fight is off because Velasquez, while dominant against Kongo, didn't do anything to show he's ready for Brock, or even Shane.

The 'championship calibre' thing sounds like legal speak to make it the promoters choice whether it's three or five rounds, rather than every main event is five rounds. It also might be wording so that fights that aren't the main event can go five rounds. Video replays can be a great idea if implemented properly.

I don't think Carwin can do much to Lesnar. He'll be dangerous at the start of the round, till he gets taken down and thats it. Would not be surprised to see that end in the first round.

I thought the winner from Nogueira vs Couture was facing Lesnar at UFC 106, but Shane Carwin is undefeated so the fight should be interesting if he has Brock's size.

Dana mentioned post-UFC100 that the winner of Cain vs. Shane would get a shot at Lesnar. However, if Nogueira wins I think the shot is his. I believe it'd be Randy's decision to either fight Brock again or move down to 205 for a Superfight against Anderson Silva, which may happen win or lose.