MMA News and Discussion Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Strikeforce has announced a show on January 30 on Showtime, with Cristiane Cyborg and Herschel Walker fights.

Yet again they waste something (first Cyborg/Gina, now Herschel) on Showtime that could pop a rating on CBS. I don't get it.

They are trying to put together an interim title fight between Carwin and Velasquez at 110 in Australia, but Carwin might not be able to make that as his wife is scheduled to give birth around the time he would have to leave.

Also, Trigg's next fight is against Serra at the Super Bowl weekend 109 card. A loss for either is probably the end of their run in the UFC, but I am sure it'll be Trigg's last fight.

Hope Bisping gets knocked out within ten seconds..I hate that cocky prick.

If Bisping gets hit with the same shot that Kang put him down with, coming from Wanderlei... it will be worse than the Hendo knockout.

Michael Bisping didn't look improved against Denis Kang. His jiu-jitsu defense was outstanding, and props for that, but he left himself wide open to be knocked out again, and smart money says he does the exact same thing against Silva.

• Like 1

I think it could be a bit closer. The answer to Wanderlei's looping punches has always been a stiff straight. Plus Bispings a strong technical striker. I think if he can keep his concentration and not leave openings, he has the potential to beat Wanderlei to the punch and steal a decision.

I'll still be rooting for Silva though.

I think it could be a bit closer. The answer to Wanderlei's looping punches has always been a stiff straight. Plus Bispings a strong technical striker. I think if he can keep his concentration and not leave openings, he has the potential to beat Wanderlei to the punch and steal a decision.

I'll still be rooting for Silva though.

Of course Bisping has the technical striking and skills to defeat Wanderlei... but he doesn't seem to have good concentration or strategy. He walked right into Henderson's punch, and he said that he would come back smarter and better against Kang... and then he walked right into a big shot from Kang that knocked him out, but managed to survive and win the fight. In my opinion, he hasn't learned anything from that loss. He may be better technically know than he was then, but unless he takes him down right away, I would strongly bet on Wanderlei catching him with a big hook right on the button.

• Like 1

Well that's it, the big question of whether or not he's improved since the Henderson fight. I think personally the occasion got the better of him that night and he was tentative in the comeback against Kang, but once he settled down looked a lot sharper. If he's learned from that and can keep a level head he has a good chance of picking him apart. Again I think Wanderlei will win and want him to; but the reaction to this fight (mainly outside of this board) that it's a simple KO is a big exaggeration to me.

Edited by ZJ Penn

I have to agree that I don't think it is so straight forward, I mean looking at Wanderlei's last 6 fights he is 1-5, which included 3 pretty bad knockouts, including one to Dan Henderson when he lost the PRIDE 205 title, Its not like Wanderlei has shown himself to have massive knockout power in every fight recently with the win against Jardine appearing to be the exception rather than the rule. I personally feel that this is a really good match up. Bisping needs a big name fight to move towards a title shot, while Wanderlei needs a good fighter at 185 to prove that he's still got it, I am looking forward to it!

Guest Mr. Potato Head

DREAM and Sengoku are working together for NYE, which I guess could lead to further cooperation between the two and Japan returning to the days of one dominant MMA promotion.

The combined card will include Satoshi Ishii's MMA debut, Minowaman vs. Sokoudjou, some K-1 fights I don't know much about, and I'm sure plenty that hasn't been announced yet.