MMA News and Discussion Thread

Yeh that's the way I saw the draw, I think it's a smart stategy for Strikeforce. Werdum is really the number 1 contender there so thats why he's fighting Overeem, Silva's on a win streak and is fighting Fedor with that being a contendership fight then Stikeforce could get either there Fedor/Werdum II match or Fedor/Overeem match for the title. While on the other side of the bracket your building up a new contender who'll have back to back wins over some good competition.

Keeps the division active, gets your two title fights that really should be happening out of the way, gets Overeem active in Strikeforce, builds up a new contender. Actually surprised strikeforce are actually looking like getting stuff sorted out

Also the backup fights have been announced:

Shane Del Rosario fights Lavar Johnson on Feb. 12 in an alternate Strikeforce heavyweight tournament fight. Will be on the televised card.

and

A matchup between heavyweights Ray Sefo and Valentijn Overeem is targeted for the supporting cast of Strikeforce's recently announced eight-man heavyweight tournament.

Sources close to negotiations today told that contracts have not been signed, but verbal agreements are in place. An announcement on the fight is expected soon.

Really I would have put in Cormier instead of Sefo like but meh.

Some more details I found in an interview with Coker:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/05/scott-coker-discusses-heavyweight-tourney-re-signing-emelianenk/

Lavar vs Del Rosario is the first alternate bout and will determine the first reserve fighter. Sefo Vs Overeem determines a next reserve and there could potentially be a third reserve bout (Cormier anyone?).

As some people mentioned, the reason for the one-side stacked brackets is indeed that every fight with the champ will be for the title. Furthermore, Coker apparently wants all tournament matches to be 5 rounds (a bit strange, but ok...)

Anyway, really stacked tournament. The FightMatrix Heavyweight ranking has 4 guys out of the top 10 NOT in UFC: Werdum (#3 after Velasquez & Lesnar), Emelianenko (#4), Overeem (#8) and Barnett (#10). Silva is #11, Rogers #12, Arlovski #13. So that's the top 7-non-UFC heavyweights according to these mathematical rankings. The only exception in the tournament is Kharitonov who is ranked #23 (mainly due to recent lesser opponents I guess). Better ranked non-UFC fighters are Cole Konrad (the Bellator Champ), Pedro Rizzo, Tim Sylvia (remembering, rankings are mathematical!) and Shamil Abdurahimov (beat Monson & Soukoudjou in Abu Dhabi).

I still think Overeem deserves a better ranking than that and that Lesnar's ranking is not deserving of No. 2. But this would lead to another discussion/argument about rankings and well, let just not get into those.

I'm happy Strikeforce finally agreed on terms with Fedor and M-1 and that this GP is set. Hopefully it doesn't blow up on their face and they give us fans the Heavyweight bouts we've been waiting since 2009 to see.

Apparently Overeem won't be putting his title on the line in any of the matches.

Strikeforce has created a new Strikeforce HW Grand Prix Title.

Is that really necessary? Strikeforce has some nice HW's, but they really need two titles? And they really a champion who could be coming off a loss in the tournament.

Still excited about the tournament, just don't understand that decision.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Apparently Overeem won't be putting his title on the line in any of the matches.

Strikeforce has created a new Strikeforce HW Grand Prix Title.

Is that really necessary? Strikeforce has some nice HW's, but they really need two titles? And they really a champion who could be coming off a loss in the tournament.

Still excited about the tournament, just don't understand that decision.

I don't know about creating a new title (and if you link me to where you saw that so I can laugh at their continual stupidity, that would be great), but having Overeem defend his belt would have led to all kinds of problems. It's not fair to make his fights five rounds and the others three, but in some states a fight can't be five rounds unless it's a title fight.

Horrible. Tasteless. Uninteresting. Just a few works off the top of my head that describe the wanna be Pride move, IMO. I went from being all exciting about Strikeforce finally doing something right with their Heavyweight championship and they have completely ruined it. If Overeem loses the Heavyweight title loses the .01% of credibility it still had left.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Horrible. Tasteless. Uninteresting. Just a few works off the top of my head that describe the wanna be Pride move, IMO. I went from being all exciting about Strikeforce finally doing something right with their Heavyweight championship and they have completely ruined it. If Overeem loses the Heavyweight title loses the .01% of credibility it still had left.

Not nearly that bad. I read it as creating the GP belt was simply a means to ensure the final would be five rounds, and that after that guy fights (or is) Overeem, they'll forget about the GP title entirely.

I don't see why they can't just say "if somebody other than Overeem wins the tournament, of course he'll challenge for the belt, that's just common sense", but this is still better than forcing some fighters into 5-round fights.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

It's a dumb idea that way, yeah.

I feel like their thinking was "we want to give everyone the fights they actually want to see, like overeem vs. werdum and one of them against fedor, we might as well guarantee those fights and have an easy road to building a new star on the other half of the bracket".

They always could have never called the thing a tournament...

Overeem vs. Werdum who deserves a title shot.

Fedor/Silva winner fights the champion.

The other guys try and put together a few wins and earn a shot.

We could have had the dream matches without the tournament making it confusing.

Edited by bill_da_bill
  • Like 2

I don't get the people who are angry at StrikeForce for doing the tournament separate from the title. It's how Pride did their Grand Prix back in the day. Overeem could win and wind up fighting someone he didn't fight (there will be 5 people he won't face, and even eliminating Rogers and Kharitonov as he's fought both before, that's still three new opponents - Arlovski, Bigfoot, Barnett, Fedor...)

It's really not bad at all. It just proves who the top heavyweight is. The StrikeForce HW Title has been pretty meaningless so far anyway. AO won it from Paul Buentello, held it for over two years without a defense, and his only defense was against Brett Rogers who came off a KO loss to Fedor. It means nothing anyway.

I don't get the people who are angry at StrikeForce for doing the tournament separate from the title. It's how Pride did their Grand Prix back in the day. Overeem could win and wind up fighting someone he didn't fight (there will be 5 people he won't face, and even eliminating Rogers and Kharitonov as he's fought both before, that's still three new opponents - Arlovski, Bigfoot, Barnett, Fedor...)

It's really not bad at all. It just proves who the top heavyweight is. The StrikeForce HW Title has been pretty meaningless so far anyway. AO won it from Paul Buentello, held it for over two years without a defense, and his only defense was against Brett Rogers who came off a KO loss to Fedor. It means nothing anyway.

That's part of the problem: you have the HW champion in a HW tournament while he is champion and it's not being defended. The championship is taking the backseat to a make believe title that will have no value or meaning after this series of fights. The title is supposed to be THE crowning jewel of a division.

If someone goes in there and defeats Overeem and wins the Grand Prix title (which will be dissolved after the tournament) then what do they have? A pat on the back? All they will have accomplished is winning a chance to face the champion, whom they just defeated, for the HW championship.

As for the proving who the top heavyweight is, yes I agree. That, however, is supposed to be acknowledged with the championship.

To be fair... Strikeforce wás hoping to make it for the title but then all tournament matches had to be 5 rounds (to make it fair for Overeem). The brackets did make sense at that point (and also don't forget that the fighters do have a say in their matches too... what does Werdum have to win in a match against Kharitonov or Arlovski at the time?)

However, the 5-rounds plan didn't go through so they decided to not make it for the title... They still could've chosen to 'strip' Overeem of the title and crown the winner of the GP the new champ... but ok.

Perhaps next time they'll need to plan more ahead and check if the 5-round thing is possible first... it's small things like that that make the UFC still a much more professional organisation then Strikeforce.

But the most important thing is that we shouldn't let a small negative thing ruin the huge positives: we'll finally get to see Strikeforce (and the non-UFC-world's) best heavyweights battle it out :-). Fedor! Overeem! Werdum! Barnett! Can't wait :-) !!