(Un)Official Metal Thread

RKOwnage

Anybody know how the new Heaven & Hell album is?

have an odd slow pace to them.

....it's Tony Iommi.

Edited by Magskum TA

Stop fagging this topic up with all your gay metal :shifty:

All jokes aside, has anyone heard the new Trigger The Bloodshed, and is it any good?

Also, on the way up to my interview today, had a little listen to the new Samael, and the new Big Business. Both were good, BB especially so. But they are awesome, so its to be expected.

QFE. And also, yes, needs less deathcore and more deathgrind, death metal and what have you. Saying that, I haven't heard Trigger The Bloodshed. What does Big Business do? Sounds like a crap name so please tell me there is awesome inside.

Big Business are the two guys who form part of the percussion aspect of the Melvins. They have a drummer and a guitarist, and basically do rawkous metal with a kinda....I guess sludge leaning.

Here is the song 'Hands Up' from their 2007 album. Not my personal favourite, but gives you a flavour. Check them out.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody can give me the names (and possibly a taste) of some good Power/Melodic Metal Bands. I've just started getting into it, with my intrest being led by the amazing Hammerfall, so I'd like a few other bands to try out. :)

And just to give my dimes worth, I don't know why people are so hyped up for Killswitch Engage. I haven't heard that much of their work, but what I have heard, I've disliked.

Thanks,

D.

Ten awesome albums you should definitely check out:

Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side (epic speed metal - my favourite album of all time)

Angel Dust - Enlighten the Darkness (aggressive power metal - the best metal CD of the 21st century)

Savatage - Wake of Magellan (a rock opera - the best album by the best band ever)

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider (a more thrashy power metal band)

Stratovarius - Visions (a melodic metal masterpiece)

Nightwish - Wishmaster (fast power metal, if you prefer the heavier more epic approach, check out "Once")

Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite (unbelievable infectious song writing - Scorpions on steroids!)

Valley's Eve - Deception of Pain (heavy, fast, powerful, aggressive, catchy)

Gamma Ray - Land of the Free (possibly the greatest pure power metal album ever recorded)

Helloween - Walls of Jericho (thrashy power metal - alternatively check out either of the first two Keepers of the 7 Keys albums to see where the European power metal scene originated from)

Primal Fear - Seven Seals (In their first 5 albums those guys sounded very much like Priest. In Seven Seals they added a lot of melodic elements to their music to make it sound more like traditional Power Metal. It sounds a bit like Gamma Ray (The Primal Fear singer was in Gamma Ray from it's beginning to 1994)).

Masterplan - Masterplan (This album has awesomeness written all over it.)

At Vance - The Evil in You/Only Human (Neoclassical Power Metal. Not as flashy as Malmsteen but still good)

Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory (Italian Epic Power Metal. Not everybody's taste but worth checking out)

Helloween - Gambling with the Devil/The Dark Ride (their best Albums with singer Andi Deris)

Domain - The Last Days of Utopia/Stardawn (They started out as a Hardrock Band in the 80s. In the early 90s they disbanded. Since 2001 they're doung great Power Metal with a Hard Rock edge to it)

Running Wild - Death Or Glory/Blazon Stone/Black Hand Inn (the Inventors of Pirate Metal

Rage - Trapped/XIII/Unity (Trashy Power Metal)

Grave Digger - Tunes of War/Knights of the Cross/Ballads of a Hangman (trashy Power Metal with rough Vocals)

Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow (the early Gamma Ray Albums get way more shit then they deserve)

Edguy - Theater of Salvation/Mandrake/Hellfire Club (These guys were once considered the Next Helloween. Since 2006 they do shitty Heavy Rock)

Kamelot - Karma/Ghost Opera (American Symphonic Power Metal)

Angra - Angel's Cry (Brazilian Power Metal)

Falconer - Falconer/Northwind (Power Metal with Folk Influences. Definitley worth checking out)

....and other bands you may wish to give a whirl could include:

Altaria, Axenstar, Sabaton, Pagan's Mind, Power Quest, Freedom Call, Luca Turilli, Brainstorm, Galneryus.

My two big recommendations would be Dragonforce and Firewind. DF's first album is the closest to traditional power metal that they go, with the following albums increased in speed and adding other elements in. I highly recommend Firewind's The Premonition too.

I've just had a thought guys. Does anyone fancy teaming up to maybe write a kind of 'beginners guide to metal'? I just thought with people sporadically coming in here and asking for pointers into certain sub-genres, it might be worth compiling a list of bands to start with in certain major sub-genres.

Sounds like a great idea. It could define all the main genres and their associated sub-genres, including a bit of history and important/major bands of the genre. Would be pretty useful, since outside of power metal I have a fairly limited knowledge.

As for Edguy now doing 'shitty heavy rock'... eh, Tobi's having fun, leave him alone. :P Check out the Avantasia side-project. The two Metal Opera albums were awesome, and The Scarecrow - while more heavy rock than power metal - is still awesome compared to the Edguy stuff. I have to admit, even as the diehard Tobi Sammet fanboy I am... the new album, other than two songs, is shit. I liked Rocket Ride though!

Also, we forgot to mention Symphony X. We should all be shot. You need Symphony X - Paradise Lost in your CD collection, simple as that. And while you're there, get all the Lande & Allen albums you can find (the lead singers of Masterplan (yay, I can say that again now :wub:) and Symphony X collaborating on several albums. Surprisingly not as good as their respective bands albums, but still needs to be heard. Two of the best power metal vocalists (hell, vocalists full stop) of all time).

If you like some of the more aggressive power metal (Angel Dust, Iced Earth, Valley's Eve), some thrash is definitely worth checking out. At least Belladonna-era Anthrax and maybe some Annihilator and why not Megadeth even.

And Testament. Even I like Testament. :shifty:

Edited by Farmer Reil

About the beginners guide: I could assist when it comes to Power/Speed Metal -

As for Edguy now doing 'shitty heavy rock'... eh, Tobi's having fun, leave him alone. :P Check out the Avantasia side-project. The two Metal Opera albums were awesome, and The Scarecrow - while more heavy rock than power metal - is still awesome compared to the Edguy stuff. I have to admit, even as the diehard Tobi Sammet fanboy I am... the new album, other than two songs, is shit. I liked Rocket Ride though!

But this is exactly what they do. Shitty Heavy Rock. Their last two albums were completly bullshit (exept for Trinidad. You have to love this song). I dunno what is going on with Tobi, but someone has to tell him that he is neiter Bon Jovi nor David Lee Roth. Seriously, with the last 2 albums he made a joke out of Edguy.

Only the last 2? [/token "gay power metal" bashing joke]

YOU ARE GONNA SAAAAAAAAVE MEEEEEEEEE!!!! SOMEHOW I GOT A NOTION!!!! JUST A LITTLE AFFECTION ON THIS COLD AND WINDY ROAD!!!

I'm sorry, that's the only Edguy song I remember/like. :shifty: It's fucking epic and that was on "Rocket Ride".

Edited by YI

I like the more recent Edguy albums. Same with the Avantasia stuff. I don't see anything wrong with them at all... unless you're really hooked on what he used to do, in which case I could see you being a little upset with the switch in direction.

There's gotta be some female metal represented in the guide... Lacuna Coil, Leaves' Eyes, Within Temptation, Evanescence... you know... the usual. :shifty:

If you like some of the more aggressive power metal (Angel Dust, Iced Earth, Valley's Eve), some thrash is definitely worth checking out. At least Belladonna-era Anthrax and maybe some Annihilator and why not Megadeth even.

And Testament. Even I like Testament. :shifty:

And Testament, too, definitely. Especially the early, more technical, Skolnick-era of Testament albums.

As for Tobias Sammet, the Avantasia Metal Operas were both awesome. I kind of enjoy the Scarecrow too, but in a different way. I guess it's the same with the early, power metal Edguy as opposed to the more fun, glam approach they had with Rocket Ride. It's all good to me though.

If there's going to be a heavy metal narration, I think I know 70's (proto-)metal quite well and I'd love to be of assistance. In my opinion, a lot of the subgenres that later evolved were actually innovated in the 70's. The later bands were just more polished, amplified versions of what already existed. Like how Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Nazareth, Rainbow, AC/DC, Alice Cooper, KISS or Black Sabbath weren't actually THAT far apart stylistically, but the followers of each band took some specific qualities and created whole subgenres based on them.

Well, I happen to like glam metal, so I guess that matters, too. Obviously power metal is more 'true', but who cares? In the end it's just about if it's good music or bad music. And I am yet to hear a bad Tobias Sammet album.

Alright I am going to inject some brutal shit into this otherwise power metally (and totally gay) direction this thread has taken. Everyone who is a lover of brutal death metal with a hint of grind and stupidly deep and growly vocals, should go check out Malodorous. Because they are awesome and will make your ears bleed.

Apparently I cant use the link feature for some reason, so you'll have to make good with this http://www.myspace.com/malodorousmetal.