Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Final Fantasy games, pretty much all pre-VII have that failing. The learning curve is absurd, as if you level "naturally" you'll just get slaughtered at one or two points. You pretty much need to grind, but it gives you no indication of that. One of the main failings of IV-VI, with the other being the amount of times the game leaves you in the middle of nowhere with no clue as to what you should do next - I hear VI getting called the worst offender for that quite often, but for me, V was the worst.

VII pulls similar tricks once or twice, too, though.

VII is a dick for that quite often, but it's more of a problem because you don't expect it because every other boss is so damn easy. The Lets Play me, Cloudy and a bunch of other people are reading now is pretty much the prime example of that, where the guy beats 14 bosses in a row before they can even get of their 'signature' attacks. (eg. the robot scorpion raising it's tail).

And yeah, being left in the second version of the world without most of my party and no indicator as to where I'm going or what I'm doing is pretty much the reason I never beat FFVI.

Have you got a link to that LP? I've seen it mentioned a few times, sounds like good stuff, and I've - for whatever reason - been killing a lot of downtime at work by reading up on FFVII stuff lately.

Have you got a link to that LP? I've seen it mentioned a few times, sounds like good stuff, and I've - for whatever reason - been killing a lot of downtime at work by reading up on FFVII stuff lately.

I'd really love to link you to it Skummy, but as me and Cloudy found out last night, you can no longer view Something Awful without being a member, which apparently costs money.

Yeah, the Final Fantasy games, pretty much all pre-VII have that failing. The learning curve is absurd, as if you level "naturally" you'll just get slaughtered at one or two points. You pretty much need to grind, but it gives you no indication of that. One of the main failings of IV-VI, with the other being the amount of times the game leaves you in the middle of nowhere with no clue as to what you should do next - I hear VI getting called the worst offender for that quite often, but for me, V was the worst.

My ultimate gripe with FFV can be summed up with two words. Fork. Tower.

That said I just booted up FFV and will probably do a playthrough over the next few weeks. Been craving a job system and don't have the time to dedicate to FFT right now. Though I am one of the people who enjoyed FFX-2, so I might go for that.

That said I just booted up FFV and will probably do a playthrough over the next few weeks. Been craving a job system and don't have the time to dedicate to FFT right now. Though I am one of the people who enjoyed FFX-2, so I might go for that.

There's more than just me! :w00t:

I was always so alone...

There's more than just me! :w00t:

I was always so alone...

Living in the city with the 2nd biggest anime convention in North America I have to say me liking it is probably skewed somewhat by being a teenage boy in a sea of Rikku cosplayers.

V is fun enough for the job system, and some genuinely light-hearted stuff early on, that belies how totally fucking dark the game gets later on. It sucks for sometimes ditching you on an island in the middle of fucking nowhere with no indication of what you're doing, or something.

V is fun enough for the job system, and some genuinely light-hearted stuff early on, that belies how totally fucking dark the game gets later on. It sucks for sometimes ditching you on an island in the middle of fucking nowhere with no indication of what you're doing, or something.

I remember jumping on GameFAQs a lot last time I played it... probably 10 years ago.

I just liked the New Game Plus and the 100% thing. That was a ton of fun to try and get.

Absolutely my favorite part of it too. I am a huge fan of New Game Plus for a wealth of reasons, the biggest being I should get rewarded if I beat the game and want to play it again to see side stories/side quests.

So, I started Last Story on New Game+. Still brilliant. However, 90% of the reason I wanted to do it was to beat up a particular optional boss (Cave Cougars). They were level 35. I'm not level 70, so figure I could take them. They're one of the few enemies whose level changes on New Game+, so they're now level 81, and absolutely slaughtered me. I will literally never beat them.

Got a Gametop gift card from my aunt for Christmas and snapped up FFXIII-2 today. It'll likely be sitting in the queue behind a multitude of other titles (including FFV since I'm much more in the mood for that anyway) but I have to keep alive my physical FF collection anyway. Only titles I don't own are FFIII, XI, and XIV and I see no reason in getting the latter two.

Spoiler-free advice anyone?