Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VII's shift between "hey, Tifa's locked in a gas chamber" and "CLOUD'S SNOWBOARDING WILL SAVE THE WORLD" is pretty jarring.

That's the absolute best thing about VII. Just the massive jarring mood shifts from "ho ho, date at the Gold Saucer!" to "Barrett's best friend and Marlene's real father has lost his damn mind", or from "destroy the Mako Reactor" to "find the best wig to seduce a pimp".

"Everything you ever believed is wrong", but it's okay, here's "Mog House".

• Like 2

Square Enix has revealed new info about Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. In an interview with 4Gamer, director Motomu Toriyama, producer Yoshinori Kitase, lead designer Yujii Abe and art director Isamu Kamikokuryou explained more about the game’s mechanics, plus why it isn’t called Final Fantasy XIII-3.

According to a translation by Final Fantasy Network, the team believes the entry is unique enough to warrant a different name, “as calling it XIII-3 might give the impression that it would be a direct evolution of Final Fantasy XIII-2.” Kitase referred to the game as “a new experience.”

Toriyama noted that Lightning Returns will be “world-driven,” as opposed to the “story-driven” Final Fantasy XIII and “player-driven” XIII-2. The idea of a “world-driven” game is “to put the player in a world that is constantly shifting and changing — one that doesn’t necessarily revolve around the player.” The world will reportedly run in real time 24 hours a day, giving the player “a sense of time and urgency to experience content that will not always be waiting for them.”

Players will manage the game via Lightning, who will slow down or speed up the world based on her actions. According to Abe, the day and night cycle of the game has not been completed but will be “roughly one to two hours.” Toriyama noted that experiencing everything in Lightning Returns will likely require multiple playthroughs, as with Abe saying that he wants players to think “oh! I didn’t know that event occurred” while on their second time through.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII was originally announced in August. The 4gamer interview reflects comments from Square Enix earlier this year that Lightning Returns encourages multiple playthroughs. Back in September, Toriyama confirmed to IGN that Lightning Returns will be the last Final Fantasy XIII and that some familiar faces will return.

It's like they were worried they might build on the positive aspects of XIII-2.

Personally, I hate the idea of the game playing out in IRL time and being able to miss things. It's stupid that I could miss out on parts of the game because hey, at some point I need to sleep and go to work.

Square Enix has revealed new info about Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. In an interview with 4Gamer, director Motomu Toriyama, producer Yoshinori Kitase, lead designer Yujii Abe and art director Isamu Kamikokuryou explained more about the game's mechanics, plus why it isn't called Final Fantasy XIII-3.

According to a translation by Final Fantasy Network, the team believes the entry is unique enough to warrant a different name, "as calling it XIII-3 might give the impression that it would be a direct evolution of Final Fantasy XIII-2." Kitase referred to the game as "a new experience."

Toriyama noted that Lightning Returns will be "world-driven," as opposed to the "story-driven" Final Fantasy XIII and "player-driven" XIII-2. The idea of a "world-driven" game is "to put the player in a world that is constantly shifting and changing — one that doesn't necessarily revolve around the player." The world will reportedly run in real time 24 hours a day, giving the player "a sense of time and urgency to experience content that will not always be waiting for them."

Players will manage the game via Lightning, who will slow down or speed up the world based on her actions. According to Abe, the day and night cycle of the game has not been completed but will be "roughly one to two hours." Toriyama noted that experiencing everything in Lightning Returns will likely require multiple playthroughs, as with Abe saying that he wants players to think "oh! I didn't know that event occurred" while on their second time through.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII was originally announced in August. The 4gamer interview reflects comments from Square Enix earlier this year that Lightning Returns encourages multiple playthroughs. Back in September, Toriyama confirmed to IGN that Lightning Returns will be the last Final Fantasy XIII and that some familiar faces will return.

It's like they were worried they might build on the positive aspects of XIII-2.

Personally, I hate the idea of the game playing out in IRL time and being able to miss things. It's stupid that I could miss out on parts of the game because hey, at some point I need to sleep and go to work.

I hope that was poorly translated or something, because that would be absolutely horrible.

Also? As awesome as Lightning is...I don't know if I will like her being the only party member :/

But, this is the last XIII game, thankfully. I can't wait until XV on the PS4/Xbox 720. Can we go back to the proper job classes? No commando, no ravager, no sentinel. I want fucking Fighters, Black Mages, White Mages, Red Mages, Dragoons, Monks, Gamblers and everything else!

So... they can re-name XIII-3 because it's different from other FFs, but they couldn't do that for XI through XIII?

This entire thing sounds terrible. I shall be purchasing it second hand to ensure that Squenix does not get sales on continually breaking my heart with the franchise :(

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna try another run through of FFVII over the holidays. Looking forward to getting to disc 2 and quitting because my guys are woefully under-levelled. Again.

I have a list somewhere of the best levelling areas for various things because I've played that game so many damn times. I'll try and find it when I'm at home so you can some resemblance to a well flowing game.

I don't understand how you could underleveled in FF7. Outside of a few bosses the game has really weak enemies. I think there's a few random encounters that're a bitch, but outside of that, it's pretty easy. You don't really face a challenge until Demon Wall. If you keep an FAQ open KONGO, or read that LP that's going around, it'll teach you a bunch of great tricks to being able to blast through the game no problems.