Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. You still have to put in a bunch of work to get the magics to junction that'll really make a difference. You can grind up your magic to get it super high super early, but... I mean, you could do that with most JRPGs? Except instead of just beating enemies, you're drawing magic and then raising its level.

Not really. You still have to put in a bunch of work to get the magics to junction that'll really make a difference. You can grind up your magic to get it super high super early, but... I mean, you could do that with most JRPGs? Except instead of just beating enemies, you're drawing magic and then raising its level.

Before I even entered Ifrit's cave, I had 100 Water on Squall and Quistis ready to junction to things.

Before I even entered Ifrit's cave, I had 100 Water on Squall and Quistis ready to junction to things.

Yeah. Exactly. You were kind of over levelled for Ifrit.

Same way I'd be over levelled for Guard Scorpion if I spent an hour killing random enemies in the first few screens of FF7.

Of course you're going to be a higher level if you grind. The only difference is what you're grinding. :P

I'm not arguing you can't completely break the game in FF8, but I take issue with the idea that Junctioning is what does it. Especially when in a normal play through you're not going to be avoiding gaining levels, so enemies level with you... and you're probably not going to be grinding out Aura's from that one battle you can get them from with Seifer... on disk 3.

Difference is that junctioning doesn't raise your opponents level with you, they remain beatable at the same level unlike other games, meaning that all your foes are at their lowest levels throughout, whereas you are the equivalent of a much higher level because of junctions. It makes a MASSIVE difference.

Yes, but on your average game you're not going to be under leveling yourself and like I said, spending an hour grinding out magic is the same as grinding out levels in any other JRPG. There's plenty of benefits to leveling that make it preferable, which keeps up your enemies power. I don't think I've ever played FF8 without all my characters reaching level 100 without trying.

Again, you can break the game easy, but I've never agreed with the argument that Junctioning is what does it. And even the crazy stuff you can do, it's really no worse than some of the stuff you can do in say, FFX with Mix or FFVI with Gau. I dunno, I just like the Junction system. I'm fully aware that I'm the only one. :P

Yes, but on your average game you're not going to be under leveling yourself and like I said, spending an hour grinding out magic is the same as grinding out levels in any other JRPG. There's plenty of benefits to leveling that make it preferable, which keeps up your enemies power. I don't think I've ever played FF8 without all my characters reaching level 100 without trying.

Again, you can break the game easy, but I've never agreed with the argument that Junctioning is what does it. And even the crazy stuff you can do, it's really no worse than some of the stuff you can do in say, FFX with Mix or FFVI with Gau. I dunno, I just like the Junction system. I'm fully aware that I'm the only one. :P

Pfff. I loved the junctioning system before you were even born!

Although, as much as I loved it....I still think Final Fantasy 9 had the best system.

What don't you like about it? I like that everyone has a clearly defined role, having four party members, plus, learning skills/magic off of weapons is pretty cool and gives you more reason to get a new weapon besides 'bigger numbers.'

I don't like the weapon/armour skill system, because instead of "I should use this new weapon!" it's "Well... I need this magic... but only this crappier weapon has it... god damn." or "Ugh, need to keep this equipped for a while yet before equipping my new thing...". I think I've made it pretty clear that FF9 just doesn't click with me at all. I've never been a big fan of "everyone has their own roles" thing either, I much prefer building my own. For example, in FF7, if I like Tifa more than Barrett, I can play with Tifa and she'll be pretty much as useful thanks to the Materia system. I get that's not for everyone, but that's definitely my preference. I did like how it was done in FFX, but the whole thing of being forced to use certain characters didn't really matter because you used nearly everyone in every battle.

Except Kimahri. Fuck Kimahri.

I don't like the weapon/armour skill system, because instead of "I should use this new weapon!" it's "Well... I need this magic... but only this crappier weapon has it... god damn." or "Ugh, need to keep this equipped for a while yet before equipping my new thing...". I think I've made it pretty clear that FF9 just doesn't click with me at all. I've never been a big fan of "everyone has their own roles" thing either, I much prefer building my own. For example, in FF7, if I like Tifa more than Barrett, I can play with Tifa and she'll be pretty much as useful thanks to the Materia system. I get that's not for everyone, but that's definitely my preference. I did like how it was done in FFX, but the whole thing of being forced to use certain characters didn't really matter because you used nearly everyone in every battle.

Except Kimahri. Fuck Kimahri.

I disagree with everything in your post except this.

You are back in my good books.