Queen's Blood (Final Fantasy Thread)

thuganomic

2 hours ago, Ruki said:

If you're not enjoying it, skip it. It doesn't really add to anything. 

To be honest I am enjoying the side stuff, it's just the endless dead ends in navigating to it that kills me. If they were all like Junon and the first part of Corel I'd be loving all of it.

• Like 1

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

To be honest I am enjoying the side stuff, it's just the endless dead ends in navigating to it that kills me. If they were all like Junon and the first part of Corel I'd be loving all of it.

The jungle killed me. But I went back to doing everything in Cosmo Canyon. Much nicer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

The jungle killed me. But I went back to doing everything in Cosmo Canyon. Much nicer!

I finished the Gongaga ones, and to be honest they felt like the worst side quests too for how long it took to find them. Ended up using YouTube to find out how to get everywhere.

• Like 1

Seen a few complaints about the story and party etc. I've just finished Chapter 11 and although I could obviously change my mind I can't disagree more. It feels like every story beat is perfect and done so well, they've managed to make you care about the full cast of characters and even some of the side characters.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

Seen a few complaints about the story and party etc. I've just finished Chapter 11 and although I could obviously change my mind I can't disagree more. It feels like every story beat is perfect and done so well, they've managed to make you care about the full cast of characters and even some of the side characters.

1000%. The story and characters are top notch. The only thing that drags it down is the open world, and that's all self inflicted! I do appreciate that the last open world area seems to be the smallest in terms of landmass and number of objectives (and has the best chocobo for getting around).

EDIT

Everything since returning to Nibleheim has been great.

Spoiler

Cloud remembering, Cloud unintentionally quoting Sepheroth and Tifa's reaction.

Also, a small X-2 reference! Yuffie wanting to start the "Yuffie Recon Patrol", then shortens it to YPR

• Like 1

Nibel area was great, wish the previous areas had been as fun and easy to get around.

On Chapter 12 just now. 

Spoiler

Wasn't expecting it, but got Red XIII for my date, and as much as I thought I hated the young voice. He's a much more sympathetic character now.

I did not expect a Don Corneo rap performance. 😂

EDIT - Also Fuck Rufus, that's a battle that would put me off hard mode.

I was hoping to be through Remake by now, and I've gotten further than I had before - I'm holding out for going to the Shinra building being something that exceeds expectations - but unless this second part is a SEVERE improvement on things I don't know if I'm going to make it a priority.

I don't personally buy into the way that they do storytelling in Remake - I'm still feeling more padding than expanding. Some characters are better written than others and that's a for sure thing, and Cloud has always been a blank template for the most part - but giving him voice acting and doubling down on the absurdity just makes him lack any connection at all to the situations he's in for me. There feels like there have been a lot of scenes predicated on "we need to do a thing, and it's very important, let's cut-scene for 5 minutes about it instead of actively doing it"

I think what I'm getting out of it is that I hold the initial Midgar section very near and dear because of how into FF7 I was when I got it on PC way back in the day, but the original pacing was WAY more in line with what it needed to be.

26 minutes ago, apsham said:

I was hoping to be through Remake by now, and I've gotten further than I had before - I'm holding out for going to the Shinra building being something that exceeds expectations - but unless this second part is a SEVERE improvement on things I don't know if I'm going to make it a priority.

I don't personally buy into the way that they do storytelling in Remake - I'm still feeling more padding than expanding. Some characters are better written than others and that's a for sure thing, and Cloud has always been a blank template for the most part - but giving him voice acting and doubling down on the absurdity just makes him lack any connection at all to the situations he's in for me. There feels like there have been a lot of scenes predicated on "we need to do a thing, and it's very important, let's cut-scene for 5 minutes about it instead of actively doing it"

I think what I'm getting out of it is that I hold the initial Midgar section very near and dear because of how into FF7 I was when I got it on PC way back in the day, but the original pacing was WAY more in line with what it needed to be.

The storyline pacing in Rebirth feels a lot better actually expanding properly on characters rather than just here is more of the same, it’s just the side stuff that can be a little bit of a slog.

I’ve been grinning ear to ear many more times than I did in Remake. I think Remake will always be held back a bit by everything looking a bit the same for the full game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

The storyline pacing in Rebirth feels a lot better actually expanding properly on characters rather than just here is more of the same, it’s just the side stuff that can be a little bit of a slog.

I’ve been grinning ear to ear many more times than I did in Remake. I think Remake will always be held back a bit by everything looking a bit the same for the full game.

Yeah, I was thinking it over last night and used the Wall Market section for a comparison point.

In the original, you come into the area and it's like nothing you've seen before. That's still on point. But then it kind of goes off the rails from there - in the original, the plan was hatched to get Cloud into the Don's along with Aerith, and everything else you did in Wall Market was kind of leading up to that point - and how you did on various activities ended up meaning you'd get a certain piece of the outfit, so that was quite gameified and engaging.

In Remake, you just did... stuff. And then arbitrarily (well, not really - there are clear points that get you different outfits but none of them are really in a story sense tied into any decisions you've made) the plan comes up that had been hatched entirely away from Cloud, there's a dance mini-game for some reason, and you're in.

I'm still looking forward to Rebirth because there's so much of the rest of the game that I want to see fully realized - but instead of going straight to it like I was planning, it might be a case where I go onto something else and come back when there's a sale on Rebirth or something of that nature.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, apsham said:

Yeah, I was thinking it over last night and used the Wall Market section for a comparison point.

In the original, you come into the area and it's like nothing you've seen before. That's still on point. But then it kind of goes off the rails from there - in the original, the plan was hatched to get Cloud into the Don's along with Aerith, and everything else you did in Wall Market was kind of leading up to that point - and how you did on various activities ended up meaning you'd get a certain piece of the outfit, so that was quite gameified and engaging.

In Remake, you just did... stuff. And then arbitrarily (well, not really - there are clear points that get you different outfits but none of them are really in a story sense tied into any decisions you've made) the plan comes up that had been hatched entirely away from Cloud, there's a dance mini-game for some reason, and you're in.

I'm still looking forward to Rebirth because there's so much of the rest of the game that I want to see fully realized - but instead of going straight to it like I was planning, it might be a case where I go onto something else and come back when there's a sale on Rebirth or something of that nature.

With the length of the games I would 100% take a break, they're just too long and you'll get burned out and stop enjoying it as I did with Rebirth. Just on the final boss now and in terms of the issues with story in Remake I think they definitely solve most of them in Rebirth.

I think both games although fantastic can be a big of a slog and it's worth having another game to go to when you feel like FF7 is wearing thin.

If you don't buy day 1, I don't think there's ever much point in not waiting for a sale now anyway! 

1 hour ago, DragonCore said:

Does this include FF 14 talk?  Trying to get into the MMO.  Just finished ARR.

At the start of COVID I was super into 14. Got through the base game and first expansion before I moved to playing D&D for my socializing fix.

But I did start up a new trial account about a month ago to scratch an itch that was growing. I am leveling a rogue before going Red Mage at level 50. Got a ways to go, only defeated Ifrit last night.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ruki said:

At the start of COVID I was super into 14. Got through the base game and first expansion before I moved to playing D&D for my socializing fix.

But I did start up a new trial account about a month ago to scratch an itch that was growing. I am leveling a rogue before going Red Mage at level 50. Got a ways to go, only defeated Ifrit last night.

I wonder if we could get a group together. I guess it depends on time zones and stuff.

I run some TTRPG games as well. Call of Cthulhu right now. Super rad.