Football Manager 2008

Dan

FM is dirt hard. :( Playing as Newcastle in a sort of trial game (I've never played an FM game before, so I'm just trialing and erroring before I really launch myself into a proper game). I'm currently 19th in the league after 4 games, having lost to Liverpool 3-1, Chelsea 4-1, Middlesborough 2-0 and drawing 1-1 at Bolton. I've also managed to lose friendlies to Milwall and Oldham. Despite this, I managed to beat Milan 2-1.

I am an awful manager. :(

Id say give it a bit more time. Playing as someone on the level of Newcastle, I usually don't expect much out of games against Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd & Arsenal.

And friendlies really don't mean shit. I won the Championship with Doncaster on one of my games this week, and started the season with friendly defeats to Tranmere, Rotherham and a draw with Retford ( o_O ). Although I did beat Bolton 2-1.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone interested?

FM is dirt hard. :( Playing as Newcastle in a sort of trial game (I've never played an FM game before, so I'm just trialing and erroring before I really launch myself into a proper game). I'm currently 19th in the league after 4 games, having lost to Liverpool 3-1, Chelsea 4-1, Middlesborough 2-0 and drawing 1-1 at Bolton. I've also managed to lose friendlies to Milwall and Oldham. Despite this, I managed to beat Milan 2-1.

I am an awful manager. :(

Thats about standard for Newcastle :shifty:

Edited by Stickaforkinhim! He's Ian!

lol yeah.

Few games on my Villa game where i batter people who i don't expect to batter and just play crap against the crap teams.

Really starting to miss Arshavin on my game as my up front just ain't scoring any more and to shock even more my top goalscorer is none other than Martin Laursen who is joint 3rd in the Prem on Goals Scored with 9 goals...All together in all comps he is my top goalscorer as well. I can say i've got good players in Van Der Vaart and Ashley Young with VDV topping Prem assists with 8 and Young joint 3rd with Giggs with 6.

GK: Neuer

DL: Bouma

DR: De Silvestri

DC: Laursen

DC: Mellberg

ML: Young

MR: Petrov

MC: Barry

MC: Van Der Vaart

ST: Carew

ST: Maloney

Atleast i'm still 4th after 12 games a point ahead of Man.U and 4 pts behind Everton who are in 3rd.

Update on results:

Wins over:

Pompey Away- 1-0

Liverpool Away- 4-2

Wigan Home- 3-0

Man City Away- 3-1

Spurs Home- 2-1

Middlesbrough Home- 4-0

Derby Away- 3-2

West Ham Home- 4-2

Drawn 0

Lost:

Blackburn Home- 2-1

Newcastle Home- 3-1

Chelsea Away- 2-0

Everton Away- 2-1

Next 7 Fixtures up to 1st January 2008:

Bolton Home

Birmingham Away

Man Utd Home

Fulham Home

Arsenal Away

Sunderland Away

Reading Home

Bolton, Birmingham, Sunderland, Reading and Fulham really i should win but i said that about Blackburn and Newcastle yet ended up loosing. I need to win most of those 7 to keep up my challenge for Uefa Cup Spot hell even possibility of Champions League but i doubt it. Atleast i only gotta worry about FA Cup and Prem now

Edited by davidmarrio

Corner cheat, eh?

1. 8.0.2 patch
  2. Set corners to six yard box
  3. Set your strikers to 'forward' instead of near post flick on and whatever the other one is
  4. Set your player with the best jumping and heading skills (usually a centreback) to 'Attack GK' and you're guaranteed 1-2 goals a game from corners.
  5. Realise that your a dirty cheating, game exploiting bastard.

Ahhh! I never read that far up :shifty:

I stopped using it too when Steven Taylor had 16 goals in 10 games, though one was a 25 yard screamer from open play.

lol at the people thinking i'm using this corner cheat. Pathetic some people on here.

Just because a defender scores goals doesn't mean that the person is using a cheat.

In all my years of playing FM, I realised I had never really gotten into a game with any team in the Championship. When Im in England I always usually manage Rovers or a Prem team. So I thought I'd give it a go with Preston.

First season was great, brought in a couple of good Prem players on loan (Paul Gallagher & Andy Carroll notably) and managed to come 2nd in a good promotion race, only a few points behind Watford and about two clear of Sheff Utd in third. Stepping up to the Prem is tough, but I think Im holding my own so far. Though Im only five games in. My strongest starting line-up is:

GK: Charles Itandje (Loan)

RB: Alan Tate

CB: Youl Mawene

CB: Paul McShane

LB: Ludovic Magnin

RM: Paul Gallacher

CM: Billy Jones

CM: Alex Song (Loan)

LM: Danny Pugh

ST: Collins John

ST: Neil Mellor

I'm quite proud of the fact that squad includes more players who played for me last season that players that didn't. Got lucky on the transfer market-Fulham were relegated and John turned down a new deal there, he's already got 4 goals in the first 5 games, Magnin was also free from Stuttgart, McShane came cheap from Sunderland, and Ive no idea how I got Song on loan. Im up to deadline day and currently am awaiting acceptance of a contract from Joe Ledley of Cardiff, as Pugh is my only left midfielder.

Lost away at Villa 3-0 on the opening day. Not a good start, but it was a complete turnaround in my first home game-managed to thrash Spurs 4-0, two of the goals from set pieces and the other two from fantastic counter attacks. Followed that up with a strong showing but defeat at Everton, 2-1, and then lost 3-1 at home to Liverpool, who were just too good. Just now battled to beat Man City 2-1, after Collins John injured Micah Richards in the run-up to his goal. I also survived a huge error from Magnin in the 85th minute, he squared the ball across our own box straight into the path of Rafael Van Der Vaart, who promptly smashed the ball into the crowd from 8 yards.

In all my years of playing FM, I realised I had never really gotten into a game with any team in the Championship. When Im in England I always usually manage Rovers or a Prem team. So I thought I'd give it a go with Preston.

First season was great, brought in a couple of good Prem players on loan (Paul Gallagher & Andy Carroll notably) and managed to come 2nd in a good promotion race, only a few points behind Watford and about two clear of Sheff Utd in third. Stepping up to the Prem is tough, but I think Im holding my own so far. Though Im only five games in. My strongest starting line-up is:

GK: Charles Itandje (Loan)

RB: Alan Tate

CB: Youl Mawene

CB: Paul McShane

LB: Ludovic Magnin

RM: Paul Gallacher

CM: Billy Jones

CM: Alex Song (Loan)

LM: Danny Pugh

ST: Collins John

ST: Neil Mellor

I'm quite proud of the fact that squad includes more players who played for me last season that players that didn't. Got lucky on the transfer market-Fulham were relegated and John turned down a new deal there, he's already got 4 goals in the first 5 games, Magnin was also free from Stuttgart, McShane came cheap from Sunderland, and Ive no idea how I got Song on loan. Im up to deadline day and currently am awaiting acceptance of a contract from Joe Ledley of Cardiff, as Pugh is my only left midfielder.

Lost away at Villa 3-0 on the opening day. Not a good start, but it was a complete turnaround in my first home game-managed to thrash Spurs 4-0, two of the goals from set pieces and the other two from fantastic counter attacks. Followed that up with a strong showing but defeat at Everton, 2-1, and then lost 3-1 at home to Liverpool, who were just too good. Just now battled to beat Man City 2-1, after Collins John injured Micah Richards in the run-up to his goal. I also survived a huge error from Magnin in the 85th minute, he squared the ball across our own box straight into the path of Rafael Van Der Vaart, who promptly smashed the ball into the crowd from 8 yards.

I hear you that's why I started my Stoke game and got them in after the first season, the August 2008 window is just now about to close and my strongest squad consists of...

GK- Erick Delgado (Got in my first season for 1.9 million pounds from Sporting Cristal)

LB- Benoit Assou-Ekotto (Bought in July 2008 for 2 million pounds from Tottenham)

CB- Sylvain Monsoreau (Bought in July 2008 for 3.3 million pounds from Monaco)

CB- Ryan Shawcross

RB- Stephen Wright (Got in first season for 130,000 pounds from Sunderland)

LM- Romaric (Bought in July 2008 for 4.7 million pounds from Le Mans)

CM- Salif Diao

CM- Anthony Obodai (Got in first season for 1.4 million pounds from RKC)

RM- Liam Lawrence

ST- Victor Anichebe (Loan from Everton)

ST- Marius Niculae (Bought from Caley for 900,000 pounds in August 2008)

--------

Bench: Antti Niemi (Fulham for 140,000), Brynyar Gunnarsson (Reading for 190,000), Leon Cort, Peter Kopteff (Utrecht for 20,000), Rory Delap, Richard Cresswell, Ched Evans (Loan from Man City)

We're doing fuck all so far, one win from 4 but hopefully we can turn it around.

Ugh, fuck off Sevilla, played them over 2 legs in Super Cup (I'm Real Madrid) and over both games, they injured 3 of my players.

I usually play 4 - 2 - 3 - 1, but they gone and injured:

Defour - 1 month

Raul - 5 months

Guti - 1 month

so I got Van Der Vaart playing CM with Gago, due to Sniejder being injured when I start (using update) I also sent De La Red and Javi Garcia out on loan, so not got much cover for Centre Mid, oh well, when all are back, we'll kick ass. >_<

EDIT:

Sergio Ramos out now for a month :crying:

Edited by Sick N Twisted

lol at the people thinking i'm using this corner cheat. Pathetic some people on here.

Just because a defender scores goals doesn't mean that the person is using a cheat.

Weren't you the one using FM Scout? So there is some precedence.

I don't really care, I was just clarifying for someone else.

I decided to get Miami to sack me rather than resign just for the fun of it. Although for some reason I've noticed that the Dutch national team is not fully unlocked (they have one real player a 20 year old keeper) yet the German team is.

1-0 win at Old Trafford with Leicester City, the amount of injury time was ABSURD and in the 97th minute(jeez)Ryan Smith struck a free kick which deflected off O Shea and into the net. Very inconsistent performances from the team but we are scoring goals and should be able to stay up and If the team gets consistent towards the end of the season might even make a charge for the UEFA Cup places.