Carling Cup Tonight

new_era

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ringmaster

So, if Chelsea make it to the final and assuming they will finish in the top 4, do Spurs get an automatic UEFA cup spot just for making it to the final should Chelsea make it as well? If so come on the blues :shifty:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...nal/7204144.stm

Adebayor sorry for Bendtner clash

Arsenal strikers Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Adebayor

Tempers flared between Bendtner and Adebayor

Emmanuel Adebayor has apologised for his altercation with Arsenal team-mate Nicklas Bendtner during Tuesday's 5-1 Carling Cup defeat at Tottenham.

With seven minutes left of the match, the pair squared up to each other and Bendtner appeared to suffer a cut nose.

The Football Association has requested video footage of the incident and could decide to take disciplinary action.

Adebayor told the club's website: "We are both passionate about this club, but it was a mistake. I am sorry."

Interview: Tottenham assistant coach Gus Poyet

Interview: Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

Arsenal were 4-1 down when the incident happened, and substitute Adebayor had been on the pitch for only 21 minutes.

The Togo international had made an impact on the game within eight minutes of his arrival when he scored Arsenal's only goal.

However, frustrations later boiled over and tempers flared within the Arsenal team as Tottenham romped to their first win over their north London rivals in nine years.

"We should have been more calm during the game and although I was pleased to get a goal back for the team when I came on, I am sorry for the disagreement with my team-mate Nicklas," said Adebayor.

Gunners skipper William Gallas and referee Howard Webb intervened, but the match official did not see the entire incident.

606: DEBATE

It was violent conduct and the referee bottled sending them off

Pearlsaswinger

Broadcasters have been asked to provide the FA with any relevant television footage, which will be shown to Webb for his opinion.

Should he indicate action would have been taken on the night had he witnessed it, the FA can then retrospectively issue charges against any individuals.

Gunners skipper Gallas said: "I don't know exactly what happened [between Adebayor and Bendtner].

"They know they made a mistake and maybe they will have to go to the boss and explain why they did that. They are young and they have to understand that."

The incident was also seen by Matthieu Flamini, who shouted pleas to his team-mates to calm down from the substitutes bench.

But Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insisted: "I did not know anything about it. I didn't see it."

It is not the first time that team-mates have been involved in an altercation on the pitch.

Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer were sent off after brawling at St James' Park in 2005 when they were playing for Newcastle, who had fallen 3-0 behind to Aston Villa.

Seven years ago Bradford's Stuart McCall had to have stitches in a facial wound after Andy Myers struck him just before half-time of the 6-1 defeat to Leeds.

And in 1995, Blackburn team-mates David Batty and Graeme Le Saux came to blows during a Champions League match against Spartak Moscow.

Either man would be a great signing for any Premiership club if it comes to the point that one has to leave...

I'd like to see Man U go and get Bendtner. He strikes me as a quality bench player (ala Ole Gunnar) and could be useful towards the end of the season...

Is there a release date for the DVD yet?

February 2nd :shifty:

Do you blame them?!

It's rare enough that we beat the Gooners, let alone 5-1....And no, it wasn't a team full of "kids", it was a team full of full internationals with a few first teamers, including a few more when Wenger panicked and started chucking them on.

It's easy for Arsenal fans to look down on us and scoff at us getting a DVD of the game but you beat us every season, at your place at least, but for us in these leans years it's different.

So we're gonna enjoy the 5-1 victory that puts us in our first major final in five years.

• 4 weeks later...

1418: FULL TEAM LINE-UPS

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Carvalho, Terry, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Essien, Lampard, Mikel, Anelka, Drogba.

Tottenham: Robinson, Hutton, Woodgate, King, Chimbonda, Lennon, Jenas, Zokora, Malbranque, Berbatov, Keane

You just knew Terry and Lampard would start.

I don't know whether I want to watch this match or not. I can't remember the last time I watched a Chelsea match (on TV or in person) where I didn't want to kill myself from the dreariness.

I'll support you lads, all right, just so long as I don't have to watch you play. :shifty: