THE RESULTS: EWB's 100 Favourite Bands

YI

:wub:

I love her so much. She's only 16 too so she's off limits to most of you lot ¬_¬

What state is she a native of? She'd be legal in NC.

BTW, I think we can start a drinking game here. One shot for everytime someone in this topic used "overrated" or "tripe".

I must have missed that period in which Marvin Gaye hooked up with a series of influential hip hop artists and producers.

Meh, I just find it funny that elitists tend to bash both of these acts, and yet this guy is completely killing one while praising the other - despite the music made by the one he's bashing takes quite a bit more skill.

Right, so because "elitists" bash one act and not the other, he's not allowed to have his own opinions on either? "Elitism" isn't a pre-set mission statement, you are allowed your own thoughts and feelings.

And "skill" is subjective here, I feel. Personally, I think it would be a whole lot easier to write a Linkin Park song than a Justin Timberlake one.

Guest tiarnantman

Well, if it was Ev, my next choice would have been Muse. Blink 182 basically put a dark shadow over the top 10, but apart from them it was good.

Coincidentally, I'm listening to Falling Down right now - the best Muse song. :)

I must have missed that period in which Marvin Gaye hooked up with a series of influential hip hop artists and producers.

Meh, I just find it funny that elitists tend to bash both of these acts, and yet this guy is completely killing one while praising the other - despite the music made by the one he's bashing takes quite a bit more skill.

Guest EWR 4.2

Muse at No1? Suprising, to me anyway. I'm amazed that Queen weren't ranked higher than 10. Especially with Blink182 at No7. I'm pleased that Metallica are in the top 10 but No2 I think is a bit much. The Chilli's being at No6 I think is a fair result, because I was never that amazed by their songs. Finally, I had a horrible feeling that Oasis may slip in front of The Beatles but I'm glad they didn't.

Kudos on the list EWB. Few suprises and questionable decisions but overall fairly good.

I don't buy into the "you're not talented if you don't write your own material" argument; Elvis never wrote his own songs, Sinatra didn't write his own material, hundreds of generations of folk singers get by singing what they didn't write, anyone playing classical music isn't playing something they wrote, some of the greatest singles ever released have been cover versions....do I need to go on?

If the music's good, I couldn't give a fuck if they wrote it or not.

Case in point, using your examples: Linkin Park are dreadful, but they play their own instruments and write their own songs. Justin Timberlake doesn't write his own songs (he might do for all I know, I haven't a clue) or "play his own instruments" (again, I've no idea if that's true or not), but (when he's not trying to be a hip hop or rap artist) makes perfectly listenable pop music.

EDIT: A quick Wikipedia would suggest that Justin Timberlake at least co-writes plenty of his own songs, so that argument's pointless anyway then, isn't it?

Edited by Skummy

I don't buy into the "you're not talented if you don't write your own material" argument; Elvis never wrote his own songs, Sinatra didn't write his own material, hundreds of generations of folk singers get by singing what they didn't write, anyone playing classical music isn't playing something they wrote, some of the greatest singles ever released have been cover versions....do I need to go on?

If the music's good, I couldn't give a fuck if they wrote it or not.

Case in point, using your examples: Linkin Park are dreadful, but they play their own instruments and write their own songs. Justin Timberlake doesn't write his own songs (he might do for all I know, I haven't a clue) or "play his own instruments" (again, I've no idea if that's true or not), but (when he's not trying to be a hip hop or rap artist) makes perfectly listenable pop music.

EDIT: A quick Wikipedia would suggest that Justin Timberlake at least co-writes plenty of his own songs, so that argument's pointless anyway then, isn't it?

ahahahahahahaha

Linkin Park...

...Skill...

ahahahahahahaha

Guest tiarnantman

Plenty of great singers, groups and bands don't make their own music. Claiming that not writing it makes you untalented and a bad musician is codswallop. It's ignorance.

Sure, song writing can be one of the things that makes a musician awesome (see Amy Lee and Evanescence if you want an example), but the American Idol winners are all super-talented as well - look at the level of competition they beat. Even if they don't write their own lyrics, they're still great singers.

Plenty of great singers, groups and bands don't make their own music. Claiming that not writing it makes you untalented and a bad musician is codswallop. It's ignorance.

Sure, song writing can be one of the things that makes a musician awesome (see Amy Lee and Evanescence if you want an example), but the American Idol winners are all super-talented as well - look at the level of competition they beat. Even if they don't write their own lyrics, they're still great singers.

Jesus fucking Christ we get it you like Evanescence, now go listen to them in the corner and shut up talking about them all the time before I force you to watch me and the rest of EWB gang rape Amy Lee's mouth until her vocal chords bleed.

'kay, I'm done.

Jesus fucking Christ we get it you like Evanescence, now go listen to them in the corner and shut up talking about them all the time before I force you to watch me and the rest of EWB gang rape Amy Lee's mouth until her vocal chords bleed.

I actually think we should just do that anyway. In the interest of, uh, science. And stuff.

I'll even take sloppy seconds.

I actually think we should just do that anyway. In the interest of, uh, science. And stuff.

I'll even take sloppy seconds.

Pah you'd take sloppy seconds from tiarnantman. :pervert:

Wait, that didn't really work...Oh well... :ohwell:

Pah you'd take sloppy seconds from tiarnantman. :pervert:

Wait, that didn't really work...Oh well... :ohwell:

I'm not saying I would, but then again I'm not saying I wouldn't :shifty: