Nickelback

SeanDMan

It seems like the in thing to do is to make topics about shit artists. We have one for Evanescense and one for Britney Spears. Since Nickelback are also shit and rediculously overplayed, I felt they deserved a thread too.

So yeah. Do you think Nickelback sucked more, or less, after their second album? I always thought when I heard their first song that I had heard the pinnacle of ass, but they always managed to up the awful ante with each subsequent single. They also butchered Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, but since they're owned part and parcel by the Canadian government, I am forced to hear that song about a thousand times a year. I wish that a better Canadian artist would cover it so that the cheapfucks at CBC would use their cover instead, because hearing Chad whatshisface screaming "SATURDAY" is enough to make me consider a Kurt Cobain lobotomy.

Anyway, Hero was decent the first four times I heard it. And Never Again wasn't bad the first three times. Everything else sucks hard.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I like the fact that the song Kroeger and Santana do with the chorus of "oh ay-oh ay-oh ay-oh" is the closest to anything resembling music Kroeger's been in about four years.

Is it normal not to be able to discern the difference in songs? I swear every "new" single they have sounds exactly like the last one.

I thought their first CD was pretty alright. I also liked Hero. Other than that, I'm not too bothered by them. If people like listening to their crap, good for them.

They are such a grating band that I'm amazed people actually can enjoy them after one listen much less 30857303853052 listens. Then again, they also get hate from me because Hinder is of the same sort of vibe. Annoying pissy cock-rock where one second, they want you to fuck them ("Get Stoned" and "Animals" are one in the same in the "let's do dangerous and cool shit and fuck" variety) and then the next second, before the girl is repulsed and thinking that she obviously has a shit boyfriend, they try a tender ballad about how the girl is saving them. ("Savin' Me" and "Better Than Me") And sadly, the "Saturday Night..." cover was probably their high point with me because at least the writing wasn't slipshod and silly because it didn't have the option to be.

Is it normal not to be able to discern the difference in songs? I swear every "new" single they have sounds exactly like the last one.

Very, very normal.

The bass player had this to say in defence: "I think that's remarkable for someone to notice that there is a hit quality. If all hits sound the same, then sorry. When you are a band that has a distinct style such as us or AC/DC, that happens. When you have a distinct style, you run the risk of sounding similar."

I hate them too. I even hate the way they look.

nickelback.jpg

Chad Kroeger looks so gormless in this picture.

I don't mind Nickelback, though that might be cause that's all my mother listens to...

"The State" wasn't a bad CD, though. I liked "Old Enough" and their single "Leader of Men" wasn't bad at all. With their stuff after the first CD, though, I tend to be very picky. I like "Animals", "Because of You", "Figured You Out", "Side of a Bullet", "Never Again", you know, the slightly less-poppy music that they put out.

I can't stand stuff like "If Everyone Cared", "How You Remind Me", "Photograph", and "Savin' Me".

I used to listen to "Rock Star" all the time, but then it started getting played on pop radio, and the way they edited that so not to offend the censors turned me off of that song.

I think "Hero" was good because of Josey Scott, although some people hate Saliva as much as Nickelback, which I don't understand.

I want to post in the Nickelback thread how there's nothing wrong with putting out songs that get airplay, plus sell records as a result. I get the feeling though I'd get attacked by people living in a magical scarf wearing, badges on manbags world where money is evil and musicians should only aspire to playing rundown clubs with a 500 person capacity because sticking to your roots is everything.
Anonymity is ahold hnyah! Until someone comes out and says who they are, and allows me to say that they're right, I like music, I like money, I didn't sell out, I'd just to listen to catchy tunes and make moolah from something I and many others enjoy.

I want to post in the Nickelback thread how there's nothing wrong with putting out songs that get airplay, plus sell records as a result. I get the feeling though I'd get attacked by people living in a magical scarf wearing, badges on manbags world where money is evil and musicians should only aspire to playing rundown clubs with a 500 person capacity because sticking to your roots is everything.
Anonymity is ahold hnyah! Until someone comes out and says who they are, and allows me to say that they're right, I like music, I like money, I didn't sell out, I'd just to listen to catchy tunes and make moolah from something I and many others enjoy.

I knew someone would do that. Arsehole! :P

Guest tiarnantman

What has this board got against good bands? Nickelback are very good!

My favourite songs they've done include...

- How You Remind Me

- Far Away

- Savin' Me

- Someday

- Rockstar (the chorus is pretty good)

- If Everyone Cared

- Photograph.

I don't really like the heavier stuff though, like Hold Out Your Hand and Animals.

They're not great, they're not awful, they're very samey and they tend to grate after a while because they get played so often. I got the Silver Side Up album when it came out, and quite liked it, haven't listened to it in ages though. I actually quite like Rock Star, although the amount of times the video's getting shown on the music channels should change that for me by the end of the week.

Put it this way, I wouldn't go out of my way to hear them, I wouldn't go to a gig, but there's far worse that could end up as background music in a bar or whatever.

Edited by ROC

Really? There is no more generic 'bitch rock' band than Nickelback. Every song sounds the fucking same, which wouldn't even be an issue to me, because fuck knows I like HIM, but its the same mid 90s 'my parents like this shit' rock. I guess I really shouldn't be talking, because, as I told GoGo, the band most likely to be named by me as my favorite band is KoRn, and fuck knows they have their flaws, but seriously? NICKELBACK?

And since when is 'they're popular and sell records' a legitimate arguement for a band being 'good'? I mean, yeah, they're good at making money, but that dosen't mean the music is any good? Shit, just look at modern hip-hop radio.

And fuck, tiarantman, you just don't learn. You're either a gimmick, or an idiot. The next thing I expect to hear from you is that Linkin Park isn't good.