The Anime Thread

Ruki

DBZ or DBZ Kai? I kinda prefer Kai unill Goku shows up on Namek. Then it's alllllll about that Faulconor music.

Oh yeah, speaking of DBZ dubs I found this. It compares Funimation's first two in-house dubs. I've only ever seen the 2nd dub compared to the Kai redub or the old Ocean dub. In all Funimation has had DBZ dubbed four times. They farmed it out to get the Ocean dub, they did it in-house, then redid it to make things more consistent and to redo some lines and then redid it again for Kai to go along with the work that was done on the animation.

A thing to note about the video though. Whoever put to clips of the 2nd dub online chose to use the Japanese sounding score. If I recall correctly the DVD set the second dub comes from allowed people to chose between that and the Faulconer score. It would have been a better comparison if they both used the Faulconer score. Here are two clips of the same scene using the same score from two different dubs.

First Funi Dub
Second Funi Dub

Edited by Kirkland

DBZ makes really solid binge watching.  The characters are so much fun.

It really does, and I love that you can have it on in the background because things are stretched so much, you rarely ever miss something big happening.

Goku starts charging a Genki-Dama.

3 episodes later. Has he thrown it yet?

My semi-regular attempt to check out anime might be upon me once more.

So once again, I ask the question - where is the best place to look for anime?

I seem to remember a forum of some sort that someone pointed me in the direction of, but I can't quite remember.

1) Correct. You just get 480p streaming instead of HD and have to deal with ads (if you lack an ad blocker)

2) My Love Story (romance/comedy...I only watched on episode, but it's great), Attack On Titan (action adventure, everyone loves it), Kill La Kill (over the top action, amazing story...fan service is meh), Gurren Lagann (over the top action, amazing story, amazing music, amazing everything), Madoka Magika (magical girl...but drama), Kokoro Connect (slice of life mixed with some sci-fi twists), Tower of DRUAGA (action adventure)...and I'd suggest Full Metal Alchemist, but I think you already watched it.

Funimation also has a streaming app and platform on their site.  Both are working at adding in a lot of the older titles as licenses are acquired for them.  There isn't a lot left of the anime boom of the early 2000s in terms of companies so do try to support CR and Funi if you can.  I refuse to buy physical media now, so streaming platforms are basically what I have to resort to.  Subscriptions for both puts me in at a little over $100/yr which is a steal.

Oh yeah CR also has scans of the Attack on Titan manga which I'm sure you'll want to catch up on.

1) Correct. You just get 480p streaming instead of HD and have to deal with ads (if you lack an ad blocker)

2) My Love Story (romance/comedy...I only watched on episode, but it's great), Attack On Titan (action adventure, everyone loves it), Kill La Kill (over the top action, amazing story...fan service is meh), Gurren Lagann (over the top action, amazing story, amazing music, amazing everything), Madoka Magika (magical girl...but drama), Kokoro Connect (slice of life mixed with some sci-fi twists), Tower of DRUAGA (action adventure)...and I'd suggest Full Metal Alchemist, but I think you already watched it.

Cheers. I've not actually seen FMA - is it better to watch that or Brotherhood? ..or even both, I guess?

Brotherhood's better but they're both good. Brotherhood more closely follows the storyline presented in the manga, whereas the original FMA series has its own original storyline.

Brotherhood's better but they're both good. Brotherhood more closely follows the storyline presented in the manga, whereas the original FMA series has its own original storyline.

So they are quite different then? Was a bit confused when I was reading about them last night.

Funimation looks like it has a bigger selection of some 'name' animes - might have to subscribe to one. Subscriptions are a bit of a bugger, as they add up across the month - just cancelled Marvel Unlimited, but have subscriptions to WWE Network and PROGRESS which add up over time.