The Anime Thread

Ruki

Stokerino, explain why filler episodes of InuYasha are more entertaining than the other episodes in under a paragraph GO!

Filler episodes of InuYasha are more entertaining than other episodes because the implication is that the other episodes contain plot, which is not something that Ms. Rumiko Takahashi does particularly well. I say "does", but that would also be to imply that she ever really tries to construct either a middle or an end of a plot. Instead she merely sets characters up in either a romantic (read: mild bickering) or dramatic (read: OH NOES NARAKU) scenario and then leaves them there for a couple of hundred episodes until she gets bored and moves on to another series. Any attempted progression of these plots invariably results in a frustrating swerve or reversal at the end that leaves you virtually right where you started, only a lot more annoyed. By comparison, the filler episodes can at least provide light and inoffensive entertainment, though it is not recommended to watch more than 3 in a row lest your brain begin to melt.

This is fun. :shifty:

Ah, Rumiko Takahashi. One of the most frustrating things about Ranma 1/2 is that she put together a fantastic cast of characters and then proceeded to not develop any of them in lieu of RANMA/AKANE/RYOUGA/KUNO/GENMA/MOUSSE/SHAMPOO GETS A MAGICAL (INSERT ITEM HERE) WHAT SHENANIGANS WILL ENSUE?

Also, Ruki, I have no clue what that is. Presumably you'll get a handbook or somesuch with the schedule and descriptions of what those actually are.

That paragraph does of course apply equally well to Ranma 1/2, only replacing the one specific phrase of "OH NOES NARAKU" with "This week's martial arts nemesis will fight you with the gimmick of...RIBBONS". But still Ranma > InuYasha, if only because the subject matter of demons and/or Feudal Japan wears thin on me very quickly.

Edited by stokeriño

Regarding Rumiko Takahashi, anyone ever read One Pound Gospel?

I read the first volume and enjoyed it, but that was years ago. I should try to find it again to see how it holds up.

Presumably you should check one of the Gurren Lagann episodes you've got to see if it is the same French pack before you delete it all. Probably is though.

I've got some individual episode torrents on download at home, but since they're the early episodes they were slow as hell when I left this morning. A pity they're .mkv too, because I don't know if I can convert .mkv into .mp4 for my PSP the way I can with .avi.

So yeah, I left the Nyoro~n versions of episodes 2, 3, 4 and 5 (couldn't find a #1) downloading while I went to work today. Having returned 11 hours later, what progress is there to be seen?

Ep 2: 17.7Mb downloaded (5.3%)

Ep 3: 0.0Mb downloaded (0.0%)

Ep 4: 44.5Mb downloaded (13.2%)

Ep 5: 278Kb downloaded (0.1%)

Norro? HEEEEELP. >_

We moved on. And fast.

I went to see 'Tales From Earthsea' at the cinema last night which, as you are likely to be unaware, is the latest Ghibli movie and Goro Miyazaki's (the son of the famous Miyazaki) first film. My opinion...meh. I don't know whether the original novels are to blame, but I spent a lot of the film finding it very difficult to care. It wasn't in any way offensive, but if someone asked me if it were worth their bother to see it, I'd struggle to say yes. The only character I actually liked was the sneaky captain of Cob's guard who wore the gold helmet. The rest were all typically "strong, serious, and DULL" or, in the case of Cob himself, "a freaky skinny guy with an odd-shaped head and a lot of make-up". Euww.

So yeah, if you're going to see it then you don't need to commit suicide as a way to get out of it, but I wouldn't actively seek it out.

Keep in mind: Shinsen usually stops their subs when the show's licensed in the United States (as Code Geass is)- hence, you'll have to go somewhere else for the last two episodes.

Well if you haven't seen them, watch them there then hunt down the rest.

I do this. I have all the episodes, instead of watching them in moderation I just get hooked and watch one after another. It's such good stuff, I love it.

OH HEY GUYS I THINK NORRO IS PUTTING TOGETHER A PACK OF GURREN LAGANN EPISODES 1 THROUGH 19 SINCE HE DOWNLOADED 19 EARLIER IN LIKE 10 MINUTES AND HE'S GONNA UPLOAD IT TO MEGAUPLOAD AND POST A LINK FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL MAYBE TONIGHT PERHAPS

HOLY SHIT WHAT A SWELL GUY HE IS