The Anime Thread

Ruki

I still think Gunslinger Girl is average at best. The fact that I've never liked the "little girls with guns" genre obviously doesn't help.

Then you missed the point of the series, or it might be that the manga's just better. I found GG to be incredibly sad.

Also, I recently got my hands on the first two books of "Vinland Saga", from the creator of "Planetes". Planetes is probably my favourite "hard sci-fi" series/manga ever, and from what I read Vinland Saga seems to keep up the attention to details, great graphics and a feeling of realism that I loved about Planetes. Definitively recommended: its got vikings in it n' shit! :pervert:

I'm not saying it's the Noir kind of "lol, look how cool we can be" Girls-With-Guns type - but nonetheless, it really does irk me. There's something about putting a pistol into a young girl's hands and placing her in a serious setting that makes me think "oh, fuck off". I'm not exactly certain why.

As far as Robster's post about English dubs goes, the following ones I like:

- Neon Genesis Evangelion (generally well done, not to mention that Asuka is far better in English than Japanese - even her seiyuu does get supreme badass points for being the Battle Royale training video girl)

- Fruits Basket (a lot of the voices aren't great, but fuck - I hate how they haven't tried to make Yuki sound even *slightly* male in his Japanese voice. When I first watch an episode in Japanese, I had to rewatch it to remember the plot, because I'd spent the whole time going "It has a boy's uniform...but the voice is SO GIRLY...but...if...or...ahhhh!")

- Full Metal Panic (though oddly enough, only the original series. Not the subsequent two).

The drawings are just immense, some of the best I've ever seen and probably ever will.

First, go away and watch 'The Place Promised In Our Early Days' by Makoto Shinkai, or even his 'Byousoku 5 Centimeter' OVA if you can find it. Then watch some of the Ghibli movies to boot. After that you can come back and try saying that sentence again. <_>

Edited by stokeriño

I'm not doubting that there are others as good if not better. But all I'm saying is I think, and it seems virtually every person whose reviewed the anime or commented on it etc. also believes the same.

It's more the fact they go to extreme lengths just to put in the most trivial of little drawings. Not to mention when watch the anime I just can't help but think there is something amazingly beautiful about it all.

Not far enough. :@

I'm finding it quite difficult to find the time to watch anime episodes nowadays apart from on the tube on the way to/from work. Since Gurren Lagann refuses to work there, it's a bit of a problem...

Oh and:

I'd advise checking out Midori No Hibi if its still on Veoh.

Midori no Hibi: most fucked-up-anime-concept-that-ended-up-somehow-being-quite-a-good-series ever. :lol:

Edited by stokeriño

Well which episode are you on? I can probably find the time at some point to host a Megaupload for you or something of some of the legal subs.

Still only downloaded the first three and watched the first one. :(

It's been a bad week for anime watching. When I'm feeling okay, I've been trying to write. When I'm not feeling okay, I've been trying to sleep.

No point uploading any right now since I'm going away from Friday to Monday, and the Kamina subs might be half decent anyway. However a non-Quite Messy Fansubs version of episode one would be appreciated. >_>

I got all Nyoro~n subs from Episode 1 to Episode 11, and then 12 and on are Anon and Anon/BSS Subs.

All of them work perfect, look great, read well... yeah. I know where to look :P

Actually, here: if this isn't allowed to be posted (I wouldn't know why, it's links to fansubs; I'll have to say "don't use it for anything illegal" though to warrant my posting it >_>)

There was once useful resourceful links here leading the way to what you seek. Want to find those links? Hit me up.

Those are the sites I get all my Gurren Lagann from. They keep fairly up-to-date with all the releases. Typically, the .RAW of the episode is released long before the .ass of it, so you can at least preview it in Japanese before getting the subtitles :P

Edited by The Mask of Norro

Stokerino, explain why filler episodes of InuYasha are more entertaining than the other episodes in under a paragraph GO!

Stokerino, explain why filler episodes of InuYasha are more entertaining than the other episodes in under a paragraph GO!

Filler episodes of InuYasha are more entertaining than other episodes because the implication is that the other episodes contain plot, which is not something that Ms. Rumiko Takahashi does particularly well. I say "does", but that would also be to imply that she ever really tries to construct either a middle or an end of a plot. Instead she merely sets characters up in either a romantic (read: mild bickering) or dramatic (read: OH NOES NARAKU) scenario and then leaves them there for a couple of hundred episodes until she gets bored and moves on to another series. Any attempted progression of these plots invariably results in a frustrating swerve or reversal at the end that leaves you virtually right where you started, only a lot more annoyed. By comparison, the filler episodes can at least provide light and inoffensive entertainment, though it is not recommended to watch more than 3 in a row lest your brain begin to melt.

This is fun. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño
  • Like 1

Well said. I usually keep Adult Swim on behind me while I'm tooling around and I've never taken the time to turn around and watch InuYasha the four times it comes on, but last night there was a particularly amusing filler with Miroku being imitated by that raccoon dog thing.

Alright, edited. Anyone else want the links... get in touch.

It's not illegal or anything, but I guess yeah, it could be considered 'risky' due to what else you'd be able to find on the sites.

Be sure to post your reactions leading up to Episode 11, Stok. Like I said, after episode 7, the series kicks into overdrive and surpasses everything I expected out of Gainax.

Edited by The Mask of Norro