The Anime Thread

Ruki

On 3/7/2018 at 11:47, Lars Kuyt said:

So, this made me think. What actually is my top ten? So I made a list.

1.Kodocha

2.Dragonball (All of it, even GT)

3.Rurouni Kenshin

4.Evangelion

5.Slayers

6.My Hero Academia

7.Inuyasha

8.Serial Experiments Lain

9.FLCL

10.Big O

• Like 1

Maybe Dragon Ball going dormant again for a year or so after the next movie will get Toei the fuck off Team Four Star's backs.

6 hours ago, Mick said:

Yeah, but then you can start GT :shifty: 

I'm actually watching that and... it's pretty darn shit to be honest. The light-hearted adventure stuff just doesn't work after DBZ, it made sense when Goku was a (real) kid and not as ungodly strong yet, but this is set after him having become the strongest being in the universe (not counting Super because it didn't exist back then). They're fucking about when they could just as easily just zip in and curbstomp the enemies, and whilst that's kinda the hallmark of Dragon Ball it becomes farcical in GT.

Even when it gets serious and the stakes are raised, it still stays utterly silly but not in a good way.

It's more Dragon ball, but it just lacks the charm of DB, and it lacks the grunt of DBZ. And with Super existing now, it's just terrible.

11 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I'm actually watching that and... it's pretty darn shit to be honest. The light-hearted adventure stuff just doesn't work after DBZ, it made sense when Goku was a (real) kid and not as ungodly strong yet, but this is set after him having become the strongest being in the universe (not counting Super because it didn't exist back then). They're fucking about when they could just as easily just zip in and curbstomp the enemies, and whilst that's kinda the hallmark of Dragon Ball it becomes farcical in GT.

Even when it gets serious and the stakes are raised, it still stays utterly silly but not in a good way.

It's more Dragon ball, but it just lacks the charm of DB, and it lacks the grunt of DBZ. And with Super existing now, it's just terrible.

Yeah; I know Toriyama wasn't involved much with it, and that most of GT is basically disregarded as a result.

The fanbase seemed to be more divided back then with half being DB fans and half being DBZ fans. If you were a DBZ fan you were an uncultured newbie to anime. If you were a DB fan you were a pretentious hipster.  GT tried to appeal to both sides and it failed. With people being less shit today Super was able to blend DB comedy back in in a far more effective way. One thing I will say that GT did far better than Super was

GT spoilers

Spoiler

Vegeta's character. AT the end of DBZ Vegeta's character comes full circle and he accepts that Goku is better and he'll never catch up and he's fine with it. He's a changed man. Super completely ignores this and he's the same old Vegeta because the writers wanted that dynamic between the two. In GT Vegeta has moved on and doesn't care about being as strong or stronger than Goku. Training is a hobby at that point and his real purpose is to take care of his family. When he gets presented with a way to be on level he's happy about it and into it but he wasn't  tortured and twisted up about it in the meantime. He only gets his competitive streak back after all the fights woke something in him and even then he laughs off a fight with Goku because Goku's stomach is growling.

Is MHA one of the shows that gets Simulcast or am I gonna be waiting a while for the dub?

21 hours ago, =BK= said:

Maybe Dragon Ball going dormant again for a year or so after the next movie will get Toei the fuck off Team Four Star's backs.

Only one more episode of Abridged most likely.

They've been going back and forth on the idea of doing Buu for years now. I'll never count it out even if they take a year away. Toei is the problem so they may very well not do any DB content besides the games until Toei isn't looking again.

On 3/19/2018 at 00:55, Lars Kuyt said:

I have no clue, I only watch the sub.

I remembered to look into it.

• Like 1

I wonder how many people out there seriously love One Punch Man without realizing it's a joke.

DBS Finale

Well, it kinda went as I expected with Universe 7 pulling it off, and most likely 17 winning and doing just that. 

It was nice seeing Jiren's heart grow two sizes that day. 

Really, I do like how many doors this opens with the restoration of the universes, potential team ups (Think Goku, Hit and Jiren taking on some big bad in an overly long arc in the future), more expansion on the other universes. 

Only thing I didn't like was that Frost was brought back <_< . HE SPECIFICALLY SAID UNIVERSES THAT WERE ERASED, NOT ASSHOLES >:(  . Still, maybe he'll turn over a new leaf, or....well, come to think of it, he probably won't team up with Freeza. IDK. 

Still, can't wait till December. Guess now the only thing left fresh for my Dragon Ball fix is GT :( . 

DBS

Spoiler

That was a beautiful episode. The animation was amazing as was the tail end of the fight. Seeing Goku and Frieza fighting together was something I never knew I wanted to see.

I do find it funny that everyone acts like 17 made some sacrifice in asking the dragon to restore the universes. Anyone with half a heart would do that. 17 can just ask Shenron for the wish he originally wanted.

OI think they could have done a much, much better job establishing Jiren's character earlier in the arc. The stuff about him being cold and distant didn't really come across till it was spelled out. He just always seemed stoic, not adverse to having friends at all. It would have made him getting back up a better moment for his character.

1 minute ago, Jasonmufc said:

Not the DBS finale, but this week's dub episode. Spoilered because it's ridiculous.

Hide contents

Spoiler

They...they didn't even have to match lip flaps. Trunks was off screen! He could have just said "Stop! He's not who you think he is!"