Everybody Loves Fall Out Boy

YI

For what it is worth, I think that Patrick Stump has an amazing voice... I mean I don't think Fall Out Boy would be as catchy without it. He's guested on a whole slew of other bands songs, and that's a good thing... because he usually adds something good (see; New Found Glory's version of "King Of Wishful Thinking" and maybe even October Fall's "Second Chances" just to hear how he can own an entire song just by his little portion). I can't even put my finger on a single trait that makes the voice so unique... I think it has something to do with how he changes pitch so easily.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really understood/don't understand the problems people have with FOB and MCR as far as music goes, they're inoffensive, catchy pop punk, the sort of stuff that years after they're gone people are still gonna be listening to them and going "Oh, catchy 00's music is my guilty pleasure" the same way people are with 80's and 90's pop music. Yeah, they aren't lyrical geniuses and they're not going to revolutionize music but they still have the ability to connect with people. While it's great when music conveys a message or does wind up revolutionizing music, not all groups have to.

Here is the thing though. With hindsight we can definitely say bands from the 80's were guilty pleasures band. But we can't really jump into the future and see how history will look at them. Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. Bu't I think given the fact that both Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance had critical acclaim for their new albums, moreso My Chemical Romance, leads me to believe that these guys might be around for a little longer and may have a more favourable influence on history than you'd think. Heck, I'd say that the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance is way more than catchy pop punk. In my opinion, and I'm guessing in the opinion of a lot of people including members of this board but of the musical community, is that the Black Parade sounded less like pop-punk and more like the classic rock we've all come to love. I mean, music journalists have put them in the same sentences as Nirvana, The Smith, Pixies and Queen. I'm not saying they are, but I'm just saying that the viewpoint is necessarily right or wrong, just some people tend to view these bands as a little more than disposable pop. But really, only time will tell, so there is no point of argiuing about it.

Cloud and Ace win the thread.

Especially for Cloudy's 'inoffensive pop-punk' rant. Because that's what they are. The fans can be tedious as fuck, but the music itself doesn't really deserve the backlash just purely for the music, because it is pretty inoffensive. I'm not a huge fan, but I've heard tonnes better than them, but I've heard tonnes worse.

Oh, and Ace was right with the whole 'changing sound' thing. Its not like they are marketed on one sound which they've stuck with, they've changed it up.

You say it's inoffensive but I find it to be offensive, simply because it hogs the airwaves of bands that I would rather listen to.

It'd be different if they were more of an obscure band that didn't get a lot of play or something, but them, MCR, etc. saturate the market with their music and it annoys the hell out of me. Same reason why Hoobastank annoys the hell out of me and the same why Linkin Park annoys the hell out of me.

Their music becomes tiresome (and worse) the more and more it's played on MTV, etc.

Don't watch MTV then, dumbass. Seriously, you know what you're getitng with music channels, don't complain, just go somewhere that your shit gets played on. There's a reason obscure stuff is obscure, for every person that hates FOB or MR, there's probably about 10-25 that hates whatever new underground band you're listening to.

I just don't understand how you can come out and state that Jesus of Suburbia is 3 songs strung together and really shouldn't be one song, like its some sort of fact. You THINK its really just separate songs that they strung together, and a being an ass about that opinon. Its one song, get over it, sorry you've run into people who blow it out of proportion as the greatest song ever written, but no one on here is doing it, so get over it.

That's funny, I don't remember saying that all I listen to was underground stuff. I was making a point that, if Fall Out Boy were underground, I probably wouldn't dislike them as much because their music isn't overplayed. But seeing as how it is overplayed and every 13 year old seems to love them, I find them quite annoying.

And I can complain, that's the beauty of this country. If I don't like something, I have the right to complain and guess what? I could find a bunch of people that agree with me, but I suppose they're wrong too for being fed up with the fact that the network that calls themselves the Music Television Network, 1. doesn't play really any music anymore and 2. the music they do play, is the same shit over and over and over again.

But I guess wanting to listen to a song that I hadn't just heard an hour ago makes me a dumbass, right?

Edited by Livid

May be the fact that you're thousands of miles away from me, but I don't hear Fall Out Boy nearly as much as you're describing. And they're pretty big in the UK as they're seen as a band to play when a 'rock song' is wanted.

Not to mention I don't really know many people who cream themselves over them, then again I don't really run into many 13 year old girls these days.

They get moderate play out here in England, and when they do I'm always willing to listen, since they're a good band.

OH MY FUCKING GOD!! THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH 'ARGUEMENT'!!

IAceI...I'm leaving everything that happens in this thread in your charge (you're doing a damn fine job :wub::shifty:), I don't want to get banned. And it's highly fucking likely.

Edited by YI

saturate the market with their music

A) Music saturation is inherent to the business. Its the way things work, always has worked that way.

B) Music saturation, especially on the radio, is NOTHING compared to what it used to be in the past. Top 40 stations used to play just that. Only the songs that were on the top 40. They played NOTHING else. At least these days they play things new and old, and spice it up a bit.

C) They aren' saturating anything. The music business is really the nature of the beast thats the problem you are ranting about. Does My Chemical Romance go to radio stations and force them to play their songs? They make the songs, other people promote them and play them.

D) Aren't there like... dozens and dozens of more pressing issues in the music business besides Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance to get up in arms about?

That's funny, I don't remember saying that all I listen to was underground stuff. I was making a point that, if Fall Out Boy were underground, I probably wouldn't dislike them as much because their music isn't overplayed. But seeing as how it is overplayed and every 13 year old seems to love them, I find them quite annoying.

And I can complain, that's the beauty of this country. If I don't like something, I have the right to complain and guess what? I could find a bunch of people that agree with me, but I suppose they're wrong too for being fed up with the fact that the network that calls themselves the Music Television Network, 1. doesn't play really any music anymore and 2. the music they do play, is the same shit over and over and over again.

But I guess wanting to listen to a song that I hadn't just heard an hour ago makes me a dumbass, right?

MTV changed with the times. When they first started, what was popular? Devo, Genesis, David Bowie, Cyndi Lauper. 90s? Nirvana, Marilyn Manson, N'Sync, Britney Spears, Limp Bizkit, Korn. Granted in the mid to late 90s, MTV started switching things up and putting non-music related programming on the air (Undressed, Daria). Now, in the 00s, reality television is THE fad. So, obviously, MTV is going to put alot of fucking dating shows and shit on the air. Atleast BET does things right and makes the dating show formula so much more awesome (Hell Date).

I don't know what I'm trying to say, but PRP makes a good point. Gerard Way or Patrick Stump don't hold a gun to MTV, VH1 or any radio station CEOs and force them to play the music.

Besides, FOB's new album is alright. "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs" is awesome.

Don't watch MTV then, dumbass. Seriously, you know what you're getitng with music channels, don't complain, just go somewhere that your shit gets played on. There's a reason obscure stuff is obscure, for every person that hates FOB or MR, there's probably about 10-25 that hates whatever new underground band you're listening to.

I just don't understand how you can come out and state that Jesus of Suburbia is 3 songs strung together and really shouldn't be one song, like its some sort of fact. You THINK its really just separate songs that they strung together, and a being an ass about that opinon. Its one song, get over it, sorry you've run into people who blow it out of proportion as the greatest song ever written, but no one on here is doing it, so get over it.

I view it as one song with different chapters. That'd be like saying any book that names its chapters is separate books melded together.

Jesus of Suburbia chronicles the evolution of the J character into this idea of being the Jesus of Suburbia. Just like at the end, Homecoming is the fall of the character, where he reverts back into his J persona.

You say it's inoffensive but I find it to be offensive, simply because it hogs the airwaves of bands that I would rather listen to.

It'd be different if they were more of an obscure band that didn't get a lot of play or something, but them, MCR, etc. saturate the market with their music and it annoys the hell out of me. Same reason why Hoobastank annoys the hell out of me and the same why Linkin Park annoys the hell out of me.

Their music becomes tiresome (and worse) the more and more it's played on MTV, etc.

Out of curiousity, what bands would you rather hear on the radio or see on MTV?