Everybody Loves Fall Out Boy

YI

Pre-American Idiot Green Day were fabtastic.

Now they're utter bollocks. Really despise that album with a passion. It's, horrid, for lack of a better word really. Holiday was instantly the stand out track for me when I first heard it - when it was first released - but even thats a bit grating now and just not as interesting. Bollocks album.

Walking Contradiction w/ video > anything on American Idiot combined.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Day are literally one of those bands where I can't actually register why people like them so much. Along with Foo Fighters. They just seem so bland. I just can't comprehend it.
Edited by Livid

You can't believe they're popular? Do you have any idea how life works?

If they were a fucking gregorian chant band I'd understand that comment, but they're essentially a pop-punk band with the dynamic of having an (apparently) 'attractive' frontman, whose not actually the vocalist, but the vocalist covers another 'niche' in that he's the 'quirky' looking, average joe kind of guy who probably got bullied to shit at school.

If I were to be perfectly honest. There's a strong chance they wouldn't make a cut of my favourite 200 artists (Actually....they wouldn't). But fuck. I admit to enjoying some songs and could listen to a couple of their albums basically from top to bottom (maybe 1 or 2 skips).

Edited by YI

Yeah, at the risk of sounding really hyperbolic, if you can't understand why Fall Out Boy are popular I have to question if you get how pop music works at all. I don't even like them and I can see that immediately.

As for that Green Day thing? Isn't it kind of just a medley, all things considered? I mean, I haven't heard it in three years or so, but it never struck me as being much beyond that in terms of OMGREVOLUTIONARY stuff. Fuck, The Beatles did a medley forty years ago, though they split them up into individual tracks instead of making them one long massive thing.

Green Day are literally one of those bands where I can't actually register why people like them so much. Along with Foo Fighters. They just seem so bland. I just can't comprehend it.

That's the feeling I get from people claiming that Fall Out Boy is great.

I can't believe that this band is even popular; I don't understand it.

Alright, I should've chosen my words better.

I understand why they're popular, but I don't, in any sense of the imagination, agree with it. I find them to be a band designed to sell to the current generation of teenagers. I view them and the likes of My Chemical Romance to be the boy bands of the current era; theyr'e just actually playing instruments now instead of just singing.

Having said that, I would easily listen to two apparent "bland" bands than the great and popular, Fall Out Boy.

Edited by Livid

Actually (at least where I'm from) people stop liking Fall Out Boy/My Chemical Romance when they hit 13/14. I'm pretty much the only person left that enjoys both bands.

Although I do seem to have the worst taste in music according to this thread. Enjoying (Pre-American Idiot) Green Day, Muse and Foo Fighters. So anything I say should really be disregarded.

And with what YI said about listening to all their albums straight through, this thread made me do just that. I've only had to skip Dance, Dance.

Every single band mentioned in this thread sucks a massive cock.

Go listen to Weezer.

Current Weezer is just as awful as current Green Day and Fall Out Boy.

EDIT: In fact, they might be WORSE. Green Day wrote some horrible songs in American Idiot but "We Are All on Drugs" is like a monumental achievement in fucking stupid music.

Edited by GoGo Scorpio

What I love is that they've done virtually a song in every conceivable rock style since Take This To Your Grave, yet people hate every single one of their songs.

Their earlier stuff was much more straight up, catchy, raw and heavier and more shout-y. Their stuff from From Under The Cork Tree was very much catchy, more poppy and yes, more mainstream. Then Infinity on High seems to have varying styles, they've experimented with different sounds and clearly had a different approach to it. Yet they're "a boy band designed to sell albums"

Guess everyone has their own opinions though.

I understand why they're popular, but I don't, in any sense of the imagination, agree with it. I find them to be a band designed to sell to the current generation of teenagers. I view them and the likes of My Chemical Romance to be the boy bands of the current era; theyr'e just actually playing instruments now instead of just singing.
Edited by YI

I'm gonna have to share the Fall Out Boy love, Take This To Your Grave, My Heart Will Always Be the B-Side to My Tongue EP and From Under The Cork Tree are simply superb apart from the cover of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart...' is fucking awful, it kind of annoyed me in a way but it's a cover, their interpretation of the song so I let it slide.

Alright, I should've chosen my words better.

Having said that, I would easily listen to two apparent "bland" bands than the great and popular, Fall Out Boy.

You know, maybe a few years ago the band were different, but they aren't anymore. The exact same thing happened with N Sync and BSB. Yeah, they started off sounding similar, but as they progressed, both bands ended up sounding totally different. Example; N Sync's song Girlfriend with Nelly off their last album. There isn't a single Backstreet Boy song that sounds REMOTELY like it. At all. These bands hit it big making similarish songs and than they develop new influences. Really, the only thing that relates MCR and Fall Out Boy at this stage is that they may or may not have a similar fan base and that they kinda/sorta sounded similar years ago. Fall Out Boy and MCR are like... ages apart in terms of sound. I don't even know why anyone would put them in the same sentence.

The comment about them being designed to sell to the current generation of teenagers is funny. Newsflash - thats what major record labels do. Indies do it to a certain extent as well, but its less transparent. They try to sell their CDs to different generations, the biggest being young kids. Linkin Park, Green Day, Limp Bizkit, blink-182-, the White Stripes, Nirvanva, Pearl Jam, Elvis Presley, The Beatles... the list goes on and on and on.

It's awesome when Be insults people. Surprised there was no claim of a particular band of your liking being infinitely so much better.

And Patrick Stump is spectacularly awesome. It's essentially the cool thing to hate Fall Out Boy, and from Take This To Your Grave through From Under The Cork Tree and into Infinity on High they've produced different sounds all the time, and yet still managed to make it great. They get way too much against them than what they deserve, they make fantastic music, are popular for it and as far as I'm concerned are possibly one of the best mainstream acts on the go at the minute in their field.

But I guess if Be says they're faggots - they're faggots right?

It's awesome when Be insults people. Surprised there was no claim of a particular band of your liking being infinitely so much better.

And Patrick Stump is spectacularly awesome. It's essentially the cool thing to hate Fall Out Boy, and from Take This To Your Grave through From Under The Cork Tree and into Infinity on High they've produced different sounds all the time, and yet still managed to make it great. They get way too much against them than what they deserve, they make fantastic music, are popular for it and as far as I'm concerned are possibly one of the best mainstream acts on the go at the minute in their field.

But I guess if Be says they're faggots - they're faggots right?

The singer is, right?

I just don't understand how you can come out and state that Jesus of Suburbia is 3 songs strung together and really shouldn't be one song, like its some sort of fact. You THINK its really just separate songs that they strung together, and a being an ass about that opinon. Its one song, get over it, sorry you've run into people who blow it out of proportion as the greatest song ever written, but no one on here is doing it, so get over it.

I view it as one song with different chapters. That'd be like saying any book that names its chapters is separate books melded together.

Jesus of Suburbia chronicles the evolution of the J character into this idea of being the Jesus of Suburbia. Just like at the end, Homecoming is the fall of the character, where he reverts back into his J persona.

Edited by Maxx

I never really understood/don't understand the problems people have with FOB and MCR as far as music goes, they're inoffensive, catchy pop punk, the sort of stuff that years after they're gone people are still gonna be listening to them and going "Oh, catchy 00's music is my guilty pleasure" the same way people are with 80's and 90's pop music. Yeah, they aren't lyrical geniuses and they're not going to revolutionize music but they still have the ability to connect with people. While it's great when music conveys a message or does wind up revolutionizing music, not all groups have to.

If anything, the overzealous fans who take these groups uber-seriously are the worst part about them but that's as simple as not associating with those types of fans.

I can still get why people wouldn't like the music because, y'know, different strokes and all that, but I think a lot of the backlash FOB and similar groups get is due moreso to the scene surrounding it and their gooberheaded fans more than the music itself.

That may not make sense, but fuck it, I don't care. Someone's bound to get what I'm going for here.