WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2009

Vilge Duin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you mean in-store since they're website says £35? I got it for £30 so I could've saved 7 quid, but my next trip into town won't be for another week or so and they'd probably be sold out then. Meh.

So I just started on Batista/Mysterio's RTW as Batista and...

God damn is that Royal Rumble annoying. So all you have to do is be whipped into the ropes and you're over? And then if a second person joins in pushing then you're definitely toast and there's nothing you can do about it? That sucks. Took me about 15 tries to actually do the damn thing. One time I was getting pushed over by Kennedy, then Rey hits the ring... and joins in! What a prick!

So yeah, a little frustrating. Shame, I was looking forward to that match type too and I can't see myself having much fun with it in other modes if it's gonna be like that.

And they provide 5 saves slots for 6 RTW storylines. Great idea.

If you're close enough to the ropes when being whipped towards them you'll go onto the apron, but if there's only one person trying to push you off it should be pretty easy to stay on by mashing the buttons. Hell, I usually avoid even that by just reversing when they go to grapple me while I'm on the apron.

Thing is there's very rarely ever just one person trying to push you off. One person will start and then someone else will almost always join in. But yeah, if it is just one person then staying in isn't a problem. Maybe I just need more practice at reversing, but it seems every time I helped someone push another person out I have to run away immediately otherwise I'll get grappled and whipped so fast I can't do anything about it.

• Admin

The Royal Rumble mechanic is definately something they need to look at for next year - the elimination meters need work, and some custom animations wouldn't go amiss. Instead of irish-whipping someone onto the apron (which rarely happens in real-life), why not have people trying to lever people over the ropes, whilst the other hangs onto the top. Even some backdrops / clotheslines over the top thrown in for when people are in red health. Just the little things.

I think their best bet would be to treat the Rumble like they did with the Inferno Match. Use grapples to drag your guy over to the ropes and make it that they have to take a certain amount of damage before they can be easily eliminated. They also need to figure out a way for the occasional surprise elimination since that's the nature of the match, but right now it's just way too simple as a whole.

Maybe they could make it so you build up an 'elimination move' instead of finishers in the Rumble match that you can use to try and eliminate people in a 'surprise' or 'quick' fashion. Obviously it'd be reversible like an ordinary finishing move would be. Something like that anyway.

If anyone wants a pretty good way to play Smackdown, try the Tournament Mode. I've just played through an entire 8 man tournament in one go. I was attempting to get William Regal to win, and of course he got DESTROYED in the second round by Kennedy. Vary the styles, and you end up with some really interesting matches.

I had Punk vs MVP, me playing as Punk, and MVP beat the crap out of me until eventually he hit the Player's Boot for the win.

I had Rey vs Kendrick, with me playing as Rey, and Kendrick came DAMN close to winning in a really fast paced match, until I caught him with a roll up.

There was just some really good matches, and I tried not to pre-plan anything, eg: Hoping it would be a Kennedy/MVP final, and just went with the flow. A great way to kill half an hour. Still pissed MVP won. Bastard. Unbeatable bastard.

I'm assuming you mean in-store since they're website says £35? I got it for £30 so I could've saved 7 quid, but my next trip into town won't be for another week or so and they'd probably be sold out then. Meh.

So I just started on Batista/Mysterio's RTW as Batista and...

God damn is that Royal Rumble annoying. So all you have to do is be whipped into the ropes and you're over? And then if a second person joins in pushing then you're definitely toast and there's nothing you can do about it? That sucks. Took me about 15 tries to actually do the damn thing. One time I was getting pushed over by Kennedy, then Rey hits the ring... and joins in! What a prick!

So yeah, a little frustrating. Shame, I was looking forward to that match type too and I can't see myself having much fun with it in other modes if it's gonna be like that.

And they provide 5 saves slots for 6 RTW storylines. Great idea.

Yeah, same price on PS3 too. Online is a totally seperate company though, not actually HMV the shop, hence the dif prices (and the fact hmv the online company is based in guernsey so don't pay taxes)

So I finished Batista and Rey's RTW. Meh, nothing special. I imagine the appeal is to be playing with a second player as the other guy.

But I couldn't do one of the optional goals...

How the hell do you spear Edge? I've read you get your momentum up to full and then run at him and press Y, but every single time I do that HE spears ME.

And is it just me or are your partners completely retarded? If Rey's starting the match, I'm pressing A immediately to get him to tag out.

One last thing - when did Michael Cole have a moustache like that by itself? Didn't he have a soul patch or a beard with it or something? JR and King look nothing like real life, Coach is the closest so far on the announcing front.

So I finished Batista and Rey's RTW. Meh, nothing special. I imagine the appeal is to be playing with a second player as the other guy.

But I couldn't do one of the optional goals...

How the hell do you spear Edge? I've read you get your momentum up to full and then run at him and press Y, but every single time I do that HE spears ME.

And is it just me or are your partners completely retarded? If Rey's starting the match, I'm pressing A immediately to get him to tag out.

One last thing - when did Michael Cole have a moustache like that by itself? Didn't he have a soul patch or a beard with it or something? JR and King look nothing like real life, Coach is the closest so far on the announcing front.

You have to spear Edge with Batista. I thought it was by stealing Edge's finisher, but you just need to run against Edge and press the grab button/direction. Quite simple, really. It's one of Batista's running moves.

You have to spear Edge with Batista. I thought it was by stealing Edge's finisher, but you just need to run against Edge and press the grab button/direction. Quite simple, really. It's one of Batista's running moves.

No. Batista's spear is a signature move. You have your momentum filled, and then STORE it, then you run at him and press Y.

Edited by Ghost of Christmas Kaney

I got a 360 this week along with Smackdown, GTA and Mirrors Edge, but Smackdown is the game i've played most by far. From the RTW stories I've done HHH (but need to go through it again to go through the other path), Taker (amusing stuff), Punk, and Reys path of the Batista/Rey story. Next up I'll probably do Cena's, then play thru HHH's again, then do the other half of the last one (Batista).

Overall its an improvement on last years,i like the new tag team stuff, but there are still times where you feel you dont just FEEL like you are playing SvR08, you ARE playing SvR08! Will probably take a break from the RTW's now and try out a few of the big names i havent played as yet (Cena, Kofi, MVP). Also havent really looked at the Create-a-Finisher yet so will tinker around and see what I can do.

No. Batista's spear is a signature move. You have your momentum filled, and then STORE it, then you run at him and press Y.

It is? I thought it was a regular move. Been a while since I've done it, so... My mistake.

THE SvR09 TOURNAMENT TO CONQUER TCD'S BORDEM

Fucking lonely Saturday nights. :crying:

Anyway, I've coped with organizing a tournament in game (ala Hutch). The winner will get an Intercontinental title shot against Cody Rhodes~! It's been pretty entertaining so far and I've only had three matches (of a 16 man tournament).

Finlay defeated Kane by DQ. Much like the current IC tournament, I played as Kane as the psycho heel who doesn't really care if he wins or not. The match was pretty even with me dominating early on but Finlay got on a role. I kipped up, nailed a chokeslam and a tombstone yet, somehow, this fucker wouldn't stay down. Again, as psycho Kane, I grabbed the steel steps and smashed him over the head with it allowing him to luxury of moving on.

Shawn Michaels defeated Carlito with the premise being that HBK came out earlier in the night on ECW and proclaimed that he had finally come to wrestle on ECW and eventually, win the IC title back (God knows why he would but stick with it, it's a video game). Carlito comes out, wonders why HBK would think he was superior to ECW. Match follows with Carlito just taking HBK to the extreme and eventually, the HBK comeback.

Jeff Hardy defeats Santino Marella which was supposed to be a joke match but I almost lost to Santino! It was unbelievable. He reversed everything. The Swanton shut him up though.

Still have Holly vs. Umaga (MOTY?), Miz vs. Matt Hardy, Yang vs. Big Daddy V, Morrison vs. Kofi, and Punk vs. MVP. Should be a fun little tournament.