Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

Apparently he played for New Zealand in 1999 which'd make him 20-22 depending on when his birthday is and when the game was and he was playing in the US college leagues before that, so it's not like he was playing sunday league... more Blue Square South <_<

Yeah I know that, but saying "he didn't start playing until he was 24" even if he was just referring to professionally is a bit deceptive since he was playing for his national side and presumably against some decentish opponents once every so often.

Yeah I know that, but saying "he didn't start playing until he was 24" even if he was just referring to professionally is a bit deceptive since he was playing for his national side and presumably against some decentish opponents once every so often.

In Oceania? >_>

It is a bit mis-leading but not many players entering the pro game after the age of 20 go on to play at the highest level which makes Nelsen's acheivements even more impressive.

Robinson was excellent today, THAT'S the keeper we bought and if he keeps that up we will be okay next season. And RW, if you think Benni is a pie eater just look at Jason Brown. >_>

He's been good this season, not "PFA winning" good, but still good. It seems like they just gave it to him because he so should have won it way before now anyway.

God bless Ashley Young winning PFA Young Player of the Year. Thankfully he finally scored in 2009 to make it not look as ridiculous. This does set the precedent though that even if Stevie Ireland snaps his leg in half around February next year, he'll still be a lock to win the title.

Edited by Big Red Fury

Ugh apparently Giggs won the PFA award, what bullshit. He hasn't even done anything, if he was 27 he wouldn't have even anywhere near nominated.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I hate Man Utd but love Giggs, and I think he deserves an award for his amazing contribution to the game, outstanding loyalty and exemplary professionalism. He's hardly been a lame duck this season either. He's been excellent for such an old man.

And anyway, given his previous performances, it's farsical that he hasn't already won it.

Giggs should have won it a few times in his career before this point but he does NOT deserve it for this season. In fact when the nominations were chosen around Christmas, hadn't Giggs been used pretty sparingly? It's only since then that he's played more.

Still, I knew he'd win it as soon as Ferguson came out telling everyone that he "strongly expected" Giggs to win. What he says, goes. <_<

Apparently by nomination time, Giggs had started 9 matches. So not much at all. I'm still glad he won it though. :)

Then again Torres played like ten minutes and they still put him in their team of the season.

Oh and I don't get why Alex Ferguson is supposed to be so scary. He has a speech impediment!

Edited by aluminiumman!

Mix of anticipation and nerves for tonight's game. A win would take us within a point of Hull and a draw would take us above 'Boro. The Derby looks like it's going to be crucial. I have high hopes, but I've got Portsmouth down to win 2-1 at the bookies.