Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I hope Burnley come up, just for something different. I've only seen Sheffield United in the Premier League for one season, and incidentally that was the only time I got to see an actual Premier League game live (anyone remember the game that Kazim-Richards scored from about 30 yards against Bolton? That was it) but I really don't wanna lose our local derbies with them, my favourite game of the season was our 1-0 win at Bramall Lane. Plus I just can't see Blackwell as a Premier League manager, and Burnley deserve it after playing 61 games this season, that is mental how well they've done playing all that. Alexander deserves a Premier League outing just for playing in the lot too.

From the bbc website

Newcastle manager Alan Shearer is refusing to contemplate the thought of relegation as he looks to inspire his side to a final-day escape.

The Magpies travel to Aston Villa for their last game of the season on Sunday a point adrift of safety.

They are face the prospect of slipping out of the top flight for the first time since the 1988-1989 season.

:huh:

That would be 1992-1993 First Division (now Championship) champions Newcastle United, right?

EDIT: Slightly lower down in the article

Defeat at Villa Park would confirm Newcastle's relegation to the second tier after 16 seasons in the Premier League.

It's 2005!!! :w00t::shifty:

Edited by (Gazz)

Not that it matters, we're going back tomorrow.

Confidence FTW! (Y)

Edited by (Gazz)

yeah gazz, there's nothing wrong with that article. Newcastle were relegated in 88-89, then won promotion in 92-93. Also They have been in the prem since 1993-94 with is OMG 16 season ago! They should have put that in their article!

Oh yeah, THEY DID.

Also they mean they will be relegated to the second tier, not from the second tier

Edited by Hugobombski

Tension and nerves are starting to creep in slowly from the start of the day. All the media hype, the fact I'm going to be in another city keeping up with results via mobile internet/texts/people nearby.

I want to be confident. Everyone else seems confident in us staying up but being a fan I'm just being extremely nervous, people are assuring me Sunderland won't go down barring something special, but man, come 5:45 I'm going to be either extremely sad because we've gone down and Newcastle have stayed up, very very sad because we've gone down, extremely happy because we've stayed up, absolutely fucking delirious because we've stayed up and Newcastle have gone down.

Fingers crossed for the latter.