Family Guy or South Park?

Baddar

94 members have voted

1. 1. Family Guy or South Park?

• Family Guy
    • South Park

The first time I ever watched an episode of Family Guy, I thought "This has nothing on South Park. I didn't laugh once."

Every one I've watched since though has been very funny and entertaining. And I know that I've watched South Park many times and thought some of the episodes were a bit "meh," so I was wondering; Which show does EWB Prefer?

It's not mandatory, but if you vote, I'd prefer it if you gave a reason/reasons why. And don't just vote Family Guy because "the animations are better," take everything into account. From the amount of times they have you laughing to the general entertainment and storylines in each episode.

My vote goes to Family Guy.

Not only do I actually like more than 2 characters (I mean, I only really like Timmy and Cartman in South Park) and I think as a whole, the episode by episode stories are better.

You might not think it's fair to compare Family Guy with South Park. To be honest, I would've done Family Guy and The Simpsons if I didn't think Family Guy would get raped badly in the voting. :shifty:

I love both shows, though South Park moreso than Family Guy.

Early Family Guy stuff is pretty fantastic, the pilot episode is amazing and I never get tired of watching it. The cutaway gags are largely hit and miss in recent years, partly because i'm not always fully aware of what they are, what with pop culture references that only Americans are likely to understand (Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Conway Twitty). The stories have become a little to off the wall and crazy along with Peter (The Simpsons is the same) and it's ususally the Brian/Stewie side stories that steal the show. Though they have made what were once subtle hints to Stewie's sexuality rather blatant and in your face which isn't as good. It's still a pretty good show to watch and you'll ususally get a few bright spots in an episode that are memorable and quotable.

Perhaps putting Family Guy in a negative light for being off the wall and crazy is a little wrong given some of the stories on South Park but South Park does have the ability to satire current events with its quick turn around. Again, recently not so great but for every few episodes that aren't they pull off something great like Night Of The Living Homless, Major Logging or Make Love, Not Warcraft.

South Park; Family Guy is too limited in its scope and humour, and too reliant on anecdotes (e.g. "like this one time..."); that is not to say it doesn't have its moments, but for all South Park's profanity and irreverent humour, it still has something more to 'say' and has for the most part got stronger as it's gone on.

I really like Simpsons, Family Guy and Futurama in equal amounts but rarely enjoy South Park. It's purely a matter of what you find funny, I don't like how South Park seems to take a very obvious point and then repeat it over and over and over again. It has something to say about the likes of smoking weed, but watching episodes like the homeless one and the stem cell research one I'm just not sure what point they're trying to make.

It's true that Family Guy relies totally on juxtapositions of situation - cartoon characters chatting away in normal voices and getting parking tickets or whatever - but an episode of South Park like the homeless one takes an idea of homeless people in a zombie film and then just does it to death and adds nothing.

I hate trying to explain why I find things funny, it's like having an argument over why you find a girl hot, it's just opinion.

Family Guy.

I kinda lost interest in South Park by about series three, though I'm told the quality has picked back up since.

I am, admittedly a Family guy fanboy (DVD's, figures, t-shirts etc. etc.) but even I am not blind to the fact it has gone downhill in recent series and is dangerously close to 'jumping the shark'.

Schindler's List is funnier than Family Guy. So, South Park wins by default.

I was forced to sit through two episodes of Family Guy the other night. I laughed only once, because they did a proper joke that was related to something that had happened earlier in the show. Not some stupid, 'remember that time when I was Mr. T in the A-Team' crap.

My argument is mainly a summary of Cartoon Wars South Park episodes. How Family Guy has the cheek to call other comedies unfunny is beyond me.

• Like 1

I started off watching Family guy and thought it was pretty much the best TV show around that knocked the socks off the Simpsons. I made a habit of watching every single South Park episode + movies and couldn't get enough.

After realising there wasn't really anything left to watch I started to look into South Park, which thanks to my.. erm.. 'sources' ended up with all episodes being in alphabetical order rather than chronological. Luckily it didn't matter because an episode from Season One still holds its own with something from Season 10 or more.

South Park pretty much blew my socks off with awesomeness, after getting over the whole poor animation (which isn't as bad as most point out, it just takes an episode or two to get into the animation) it just seemed to be better. It was funny, but also seemed like the episode was focused on a story rather than everyday life in Family Guy. Maybe it's the animation that makes the writers so focused, they don't take long to write and produce an episode so they dont really lose the creative flow.

There's also a character thing, even though almost ALL of the parents in South Park are dumb -as opposed to the different kinda "characters" in Family Guy- every now and again an episode focus' on one of the "dumb" characters and adds a whole new edge to their character.

Then after watching a few South Park episodes I saw Blue Harvest, the most unfunny thing I've ever watched which had around two minutes of footage that made me chuckle, the rest was groan inducing.

It's fair to say that yeah Family guy can have some really hilarious moments, but only if you haven't seen the episode before... otherwise it'll just seem like a trainwreck waiting to happen as you already know the random stuff. With South Park I can really see myself watching loads of episodes again and again at some points, Scott Tennerman Must Die is easily one of the best and puts Family Guy to shame, but it's one I would genuinely watch again. With Family Guy it's more likely to be "oh I remember that episode with the Steven Hawking skit i'll watch that again" before realising second time viewing isn't that funny anymore.

The South Park episodes with Mohammed pretty much sum up how Family Guy is, it's just punchline after punchline that doesn't take any episode anywhere and only serves as some sort of point because the writer can't fill a single 20 min episode with a well thought out hilarious plot.

I didn't find Blue Harvest funny either and I love all Family Guy. It seemed like they were taking the piss out of Star Wars frame-by-frame and I don't particularly like Star Wars so didn't appreciate most of the jokes.

I like Family Guy. I like it. I don't love it. It has gone from good to average over the last couple of series. However, I've only ever actually watched a single South Park episode and don't really feel inclined to watch any more. Therefore, Family Guy wins by default.

I thought Blue Harvest was pretty good actually. I enjoy both shows, although I've not seen as many South Park episodes, I think that's the more consistent show. Early Family Guy is great, and there's a few episodes since that are pretty good, but it's just gone a bit stupid with the anecdotes that really only Americans get (fair enough, it's an American show), like Ellis said.

I thought Blue Harvest was pretty good actually. I enjoy both shows, although I've not seen as many South Park episodes, I think that's the more consistent show. Early Family Guy is great, and there's a few episodes since that are pretty good, but it's just gone a bit stupid with the anecdotes that really only Americans get (fair enough, it's an American show), like Ellis said.

Weirdly enough, I voted South Park, but I also own and have seen more Family Guy episodes. Keep meaning to get around to buying South Park on DVD, but Family Guy was always cheaper.

I think South Park is terrible, scatological, sophomoric humor and whenever they try to make social commentaries they hammer the point home so much that it's annoying.

Family Guy, I haven't seen in years. But it's pretty much punchline, flashback, punchline, piss-take of old TV show. I have series one and three on DVD, but I don't like watching it because after one or two viewings I don't find it half as funny.

South Park may get annoyingly preachy at points and I don't watch it anymore and haven't for years, but at least it attempts to make commentaries on things and not rest on bits like "hi I'm Seth McFarlane did you know that I love showtunes here have a showtune shit I forgot to write a joke."

I am a gigantic fan of South Park. I own every season up to 10 on DVD and plan on getting 11 as soon as it is released. South Park continues to be funny and they continue to come up with original concepts and ideas for the show, even after so many episodes.

Family Guy is funny, but I enjoy South Park more. As said before, there are too many moments where it is like "It's like that one time I was a watermelon!", and those are only occasionally funny.

Both shows have their weak points and strong points, but South Park is betterm in my opinion.

I love both, though admittedly haven't watched much family guy in the last couple years, but it doesn't even come close to South Park. SP is the funniest show on television today and has been consistently hilarious for its entire 11 year run.