Games that are fun, but have a pain in the ass component

GhostMachine

He is a bastard, and I did stop playing for a while when I couldnt kill him (and came back to find him dead), but on a second time through I loved that battle so much it's almost as fun as beating sniper wolf with nikita missiles >_>.

The FFVIII Draw System, Junction had so much potential, but the Draw system was fucking stupid and the rest of the game is great.

Don't even get me started on how much I disliked the Draw system....

Speaking of bad stuff like that, I wasn't too thrilled with Xenosaga II's dual tech attacks. Most weren't even worth the bother. (The first game had the best combat system of the 3 games, with II's being the worst)

God of War - Spinning blade tower

Echoing Guitar Hero 3 for turning the game into more of a chore than a fun casual game.

And Battletoads in general. I want to love that game, but goddamn it is the most annoyingly frustrating thing ever assembled.

At risk of going seriously off-topic, why was the draw system broken? I haven't played the game in years but wasn't it basically just stealing spells from enemies?

Gran Turismo's asinine rule that if your tires left the track for a millisecond you would fail the license tests. Way to make sure that the vast majority of the people who buy the games cannot complete more than half of them without breaking a controller or three. If the object is to cross the finish line in X amount of time, just let the clock run. I'm not auditioning for a job in NASCAR, F1 or IRL, I'm playing a fucking video game.

At risk of going seriously off-topic, why was the draw system broken? I haven't played the game in years but wasn't it basically just stealing spells from enemies?

Spending an age drawing a spell from an enemy so you got a half decent stat boost, especially later in the game is just not my idea of fun, would've been better just having materia-style magic and junctioning it that way by the AP or something to that effect. All RPG's have an element of grinding, but FFVIII took that away a fair bit by 'matching' levels with the enemy, then shoved it right back in (only without the fun of actually hitting the enemy) with the draw system.

Funny you should mention that game, since I never beat the game thanks to the mission appropriately named "Life's a Beach."

I nominate God of War's insane button mashing, you need to do it for practically everything.

Edited by Jaze

Nobunaga's Ambition on the NES.

The game had some things that just made it very difficult to complete with select daimyos; there was this one guy, Saito...It seemed that within 3 turns from the start, if not on THE first turn, either somebody would invade and kill him or the people would riot/revolt, and he'd be out of there.

It was pretty much the utlimate challenge to try to win with him.

Megaman 2. The 4th boss in Dr Wily's castle. These little bastard drones that shoot shit at you are protected by walls that can only be destroyed by Crash Man's weapon. Ok. The only problem is the damn weapon has like five shots at the most, and there's more than five walls. Oh, and if you miss, forget it, you're fucked.

I'm also not a fan in the old side scrolling game where going down means DEATH. Take Castlevania one. If you go up stairs, and decide to go back down, sorry Chet, you're shit out of luck.

I'll agree with the licensing part in Gran Turismo; because of that crap, I was pretty much stuck doing street races. Not that I didn't mind them, but they did get annoying.

Also annoying; if you've played any of the NASCAR Thunder games, it's when innocent things make the other drivers really hate you. I mean, as soon as a damn race in season or career mode gets underway, the pricks try to wreck you. And of course, they NEVER get flagged. :(

The original Karate Kid on NES....Well I guess this doesn't count because this game isn't fun....One of the most frustrating games I've ever played. God damn typhoon with your wind birds and sticks and getting hit falling into a hole almost every time. They should kill whoever made that game.

UMK3 for DS having the most ridonkulously steep rise in difficulty i've ever seen.

Agreed. I got it for Christmas and had to trade it in soon after for something I might actually stand a chance of beating. They did it so well too, it was just way too fucking hard.