UEFA Champions League 08/09

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a terrible game. Liverpool had a horrible game, the referee was equally horrible. Arbeloa and Aurelio had the worst games I'd ever seen them have. I'd hope when Torres comes back it'll lift the squad which is looking a bit flaccid right now.

That "foul" on Gerrard reminds me of the one last season (?) in the Chelsea/Liverpool match where Malouda ran into the Liverpool player and got given the spot kick. Gerrard jumped into the Atletico player and goes down like he's been snipered. Embaressing, if I was a Liverpool fan, I'd be embaressed after that.

That "foul" on Gerrard reminds me of the one last season (?) in the Chelsea/Liverpool match where Malouda ran into the Liverpool player and got given the spot kick. Gerrard jumped into the Atletico player and goes down like he's been snipered. Embaressing, if I was a Liverpool fan, I'd be embaressed after that.

Yeah, that was August last year.

I've not seen this Gerrard one, but if it's anywhere close to Malouda's, then it's comically awful.

I kinda feel it was one of those "I fucked up so I'll make up for it now" deals from the referee. He'd not given Liverpool a penalty when Pernea (?) handled it. So I'm assuming he tried to redeem himself but only continued on a downward spiral of ineptitude.

Ellis wondered why on the FM demo I asked Gerrard to stop taking long shots and it's for games like this where that is what happens. I absolutely hate that Liverpool have this tendency (it's mostly Gerrard and Alonso) to shoot long range when they could very well try and create goals for the forwards. Or our wingers lapse into crossing from far out when they could cross from deep which has benefitted us this season and could've tonight too if N'Gog wasn't the one on the end of it. I think some of the players were still bummed about losing to Spurs or something. Torres should be back soon and that will probably give them a lift.

Funny though, on RTE commentary Ray Houghton said Liverpool lacked depth and quality, whereas I think a couple of weeks ago I'd been hearing the opposite from pundits. Although still playing I think as poorly as we did, still drew (though had we had more cutting edge we'd have gotten several goals). Drawing with Atletico isn't a bad thing really considering they're the only real challenge in the group.

Haha, that penalty was such a bad decision. Liverpool looked decidedly average for me today, barring Xabi Alonso. I challenge anyone to find a better passer of the ball in the Premier League. Frank Lampard is probably the closest I can think of.

Fabregas. :)

That's a good shout, but I'd still say Alonso. Fabregas is a better player probably, but Alonso seems to be able to just pull out the most amazing passes at any time.

As he did tonight for the Robbie Keane chance.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

You get used to it. He's not a habitual diver like Ronaldo or Drogba were at their worst, most of the time he stays on his feet but if we're struggling to break teams down then he has no problem taking a tumble in the box.

That being said, it made up for the referee bottling it with the handball earlier in the half.