UEFA Champions League 08/09

The thing about Mascherano is that, if he plays, the fullbacks will be more likely to push forward and offer width, because there is the security of having Mascherano back covering.

The team also looks better when Babel and El Zhar have been on the pitch, as opposed to Kuyt and Benayoun (I thought Benayoun was dreadful tonight - no that anyone was exactly magnificent, but Benayoun was the worst of the lot).

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with Mascherano back, plus the signing of Albert Riera (which I really hope goes through) we will see an upturn in Liverpool's performance. They've got the job done in the end in both Premier league games so far, just need to keep that going.

No-one else questions a midfielder winning European STRIKER of the Year. Damn European strikers must be shite.....

Anyway, the Champions League group stage draw in full:

Group A: CHELSEA, AS Roma, Bordeaux, Cluj

Group B: Inter, Werder, Panathinaikos, Anorthosis

Group C: Barcelona, Sporting, FC Basel, Shakhtar

Group D: LIVERPOOL, PSV, Marseille, Atletico

Group E: MAN UTD, Villarreal, CELTIC, Aalborg

Group F: Lyon, Bayern, Steaua, Fiorentina

Group G: ARSENAL, FC Porto, Fenerbahce, Dinamo Kiev

Group H: Real Madrid, Juventus, Zenit, Bate

No-one else questions a midfielder winning European STRIKER of the Year. Damn European strikers must be shite.....

They call it "Forward" not striker, but I get your point.

Anyway, the guy on Eurosport said Chelsea have got the toughest Group out of the English teams. He's correct...

...Behind Liverpool and Arsenal.

Hmm good draws, i think Liverpool need to improve quickly if they want to qualify from that group. Arsenal have probably got the toughest group imo.

I didn't want to be the first one to say it - but Liverpool and Arsenal definately have harder groups than Man Utd and Chelsea. If Liverpool don't up their game drastically from last night, they're out. Pure and simple. Overall, I think Arsenal have a slightly harder group, but I'd be expecting all four English teams to qualify, and I reckon Celtic could sneak past Villareal if they play well throughout the six games. It usually takes them a while to get going though....

Liverpool have the harder group in that I think all four teams will be able to take something off each other.

I don't necessarily think Kiev or Fenerbache will be too tough for Arsenal to beat, as long as they play well. Kiev may prove a difficult place to go, but I remember Man Utd went and dominated them not long ago and I'd expect Arsenal to do the same.

Zenit drawn with Real Mardid and Juventus? Ouch. Double ouch for BATE.

I'm actually quite glad we've got a group made up of good, well-known teams that we've faced recently (Marseille, PSV) or that we'll know plenty about (Atletico). We won't play as badly as we did last night against Liege against any of those teams, and hopefully we'll go through top of the group.

If Fenerbahce play anywhere like how they played in the Champs League last season i think they will prove a tough team for Arsenal especially at home. Porto are a top team. And Kiev, yeah i think they will be hard to break down at home, if you look at how Arsenal played against Fulham they need to improve. They will prove me wrong though as Arsenal always does when i doubt them. Liverpool are a proven team in european, was the only reason i chose Arsenal struggling more over them.

Atletico. Fucking typical.

These were exactly my thoughts. Though more likely to beat them than if we gotten Anorthosis.