UEFA Champions League 08/09

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, nobody is surprised to see the Cyprus team looking at a very real shot at making the Group stages?

No, because Chelsea will draw them (along with Barcelona (if it's even possible anymore, which I don't think it is) and some other side) anyway. >_>

Edited by Baddar~!

• 2 weeks later...
NASRI!

Bye bye Macca.

GALLAS!

WALCOTT!

BENDTNER!

Bye bye Macca even more.

Great game from Walcott especially. Bendtner had a bit of a shocker and it was only a great bit of skill from Denilson that got him a goal. Great to have Fabregas back, and the team playing some really good passing, flowing, fast football.

Pot 1

+Chelsea

+Liverpool

+Barcelona

+Arsenal

+Manchester United

+Olympique Lyon

+Inter Mailand

+Real Madrid

Pot 2

+Bayern München

+PSV Eindhoven

+Villarreal

+AS Rom

+FC Porto

+Werder Bremen

+Sporting Lissabon

+Juventus Turin

Pot 3

+Olympique Marseille

+Zenit St. Petersburg

+Steaua Bukarest

+Panathinaikos Athen

+Girondins Bordeaux

+Celtic Glasgow

+FC Basel

+Fenerbahce

Pot 4

+Shachtjor Donezk

+AC Florenz

+Atletico Madrid

+Dynamo Kiew

+CFR Cluj

+AaB Aalborg

+Anorthosis Famagusta

+BATE Borisov

Getting Florenz or Atletico out of pot 4 will be hell. (ok Donezk might be aswell - they are going Chelskie on Europe (they scored Bremens first choise of striker :-( ), Kiew always is)

I´ed like to see bremen face liverpool or Man U, these would be the onl toteams i have not seen live against bremen out of pot 1.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Don't know why anyone expects any different with Gerrard and Alonso in the centre of midfield. No bite, Gerrard has absolutely no composure, and Alonso's been consistent only in his inconsistency for two seasons. With both of them it's one decent pass followed by two wayward ones at the moment. If we'd have had Mascherano or Lucas in there, which would have also allowed Gerrard to go into the front three playing behind Torres, we'd have been much more comfortable.

I can agree with that, Mascharano is a missing part of the midfield at the moment.

Although I am forever frustrated by the constant cutting inside and running to the byline to cross balls in. But that comes from having players like Yossi Benayoun and Dirk Kuyt on the wing. Pennant does it but he's not good enough. Babel can do it sometimes, but other times he cuts in and it leaves full backs to cross from the edge of the area which I don't think is as effective. Liverpool's narrowness was part of the problem against Liege, because they just created a wall and blocked us off.

I think the narrowness again comes down to having Gerrard and Alonso in midfield. Aurelio (Dossena for the last few games) and Arbeloa look reluctant to go forward because they know that neither Gerrard or Alonso will fill the gap. With Masch there, and it's a massive part of the reason we tried to sign Barry as well, they know that if they go forward and the attack breaks down then the flank won't be completely exposed.