Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

I have a journeyman game, but think I need a little something else to keep me going.

I was going to do a diary but can't be bothered with the hassle.

So some people suggest me some good ideas for games and maybe give me little rules/goals to try and implement. No international management off the bat (I may take a job through at some point.)

Just gimme a team (or selection), some nations I should load and give me a task. Give a few if you like, and I'll see what I like and give it a go :)

What about starting in the second division of Spain for a change? You could go with the big names like Celta de Vigo, Zaragoza and Real Sociedad and try to take them back to the top of Spain or go with Rayo Vallecano because they have an awesome name :pervert: I remember I did a game with Alaves with FM 07 and had lots of fun.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got this game last week, tried to not play FM for a whole year but failed...

Started as Leicester, got them promoted as champions in the first season, got to the Championship play-offs in the next but missed out, beaten by Wolves in the semi-final. This season I'm strolling the league, should get promoted easy.

I'm one of those people who only ever has one save game on FM through the whole season so I think I'll do another season with Leicester, try and establish them as a Premier League side, then I'll be off to somewhere else, possibly Nottingham Forest as they're somehow languishing in the middle of League 2 after back-to-back relegations. Actually I might just make that my aim, try and restore the Midlands sides to their former glory... Derby are in League One so that'd be a challenge too.

Pretty good game anyway, I feel it's much better than last year. Not a fan of the 3d match engine, mind.

How fucking awesome is this season going to get?

Norwegian Cup champions (that one eluded me last year), Champions of Norway for the second year running, Super Cup winners and now, after a 2-2 draw with Bayern and an epic 2-1 win in Athens, I've actually qualified second in my group and am in the 2nd Group Stage (remember when the CL had a second group stage?).

Aberdeen (?!)

Atalanta

Dortmund

Viking

Aberdeen... how the hell did they get there? They're 9th in the SPL at the moment, which isn't too promising. Their group was by far the easiest 1st Phase group, Juventus, Nurnburg and Kobenhavn.

Atalanta are some kind of superpower in this game. I can't remember them being THAT good in the early 00's, but they were undefeated in the first stage (PSG, Liverpool and some crap Polish team).

Dortmund I've already beaten in the Super Cup, but to be fair they were missing all three of their star players that day.

Edit: Woo, drew 1-1 with Atalanta in Italy, thanks to a Ben Wright goal. That'll be his 44th, then. That's gotta be European Golden Boot-worthy, surely? Also, mighty awesome conquering of Bayern Munich was slightly lessened by them being dumped out of the UEFA Cup to Perugia. :(

Grrr. So Birmingham's average Norwegian striker gets Norwegian Player Of The Year for scoring 7 goals in Division One, while Ben Wright gets left out for scoring 44 in 47. My goalkeepers came 1st and 2nd in Norwegian Goalkeeper of the year though (Mikklesen first). None of my defenders get anything, whilst Jon Inge Holland (a DMC) gets runner up for both defender of the year and midfielder of the year... while Odegaard and Berre, who've got 22 goals between them, are both ignored. Aarsheim's 8 MoM awards apparently also carry little meaning...

At least the fans love Mr. Wright. Fans Player of the Year for the second year running.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Atalanta started with an excellent team on CM 01/02. Luciano Zauri is an excellent player and they usually make something in the region of £30 million for him. Alex Pinardi and Cristiano Doni are often Italy regulars as well.

If I knew as much about Law as I did about CM 01/02 I would not need to be studying right now. :(

I'm being very restless in this game. Left TFC, after two season. Then spent end of a season and the begining of another with Banfield. Now I'm at The Revs and I've brought in lots of players, but I don't want to be manager of an MLS side anymore. Nor do I want to start a new game.

Just had quite possibly my greatest achievement as manager in this game.

Took my Andorra side to 2 wins in the European Championship Qualifying Group Stage. First we beat Israel 1-0 and then we fought back against Croatia to win 3-2. Those wins rocketed Andorra up to 60th in the world rankings

Started as Leicester, got them promoted as champions in the first season, got to the Championship play-offs in the next but missed out, beaten by Wolves in the semi-final. This season I'm strolling the league, should get promoted easy.

Finished 10th in my first Prem season and got to the FA Cup final but lost (that's 5 FA Cup Finals for Leicester and 5 runner-up medals...)

Left them for Notts Forest who were bottom of League 1... the side is a shambles. Have got them playing decently though and I'm 3 points behind safety with 16 games to go, so should be fine. Only problem is the board want me to finish in the play-offs... very reasonable considering I took over after 14 games of the season and they were already 10 points adrift :mellow:

I have signed an ageining Ronaldinho for Reading in a 900,000 pound deal!.

I have been a bit ambitious and told the board I am going to try and challenge for the title, I think I can do it as my squad is just as good as Chelsea's. Arsenal have sold several key players and not bought in good replacements whereas Manchester United have gone tumbling down after replacing me with Gary Neville as their manager. He's sold exciting players who I signed to be the future of the club for peanuts and just like every save I have they are about to start their slide down to mid-table obscurity

Liverpool have the best squad out of all of them but Benitez makes some daft decisions at times..I played a match against them where Gerrard was playing right back with Arbeola on the bench whilst some random Ukrainian guy was playing central mid

So in my Braintree game I managed to get promoted yet again, winning the League One playoff final 5-1 against Plymouth, taking me to four straight promotions :D

Finished 4th in the regular season, thanks mainly to Liam Dickinson who I managed to sign on deadline day, and he scored the vast majority of my team's goals. The Championship will be rock hard though, in any game I have where I take a lower league team up, I always ALWAYS do shite in the Championship. Got beat off Hull 3-0 away on the opening day. I signed a ton of old, experienced players over the summer, my new centre back pairing of Martin Laursen and Danny Higginbotham has a combined age of 68. Score. Got Jason Scotland and Marlon King up front to hopefully score enough to at least keep me in the division, but it'll be tough.

So in the European Super Cup..me as Reading vs Lyon.

They get two goals(Juninho still playing for them and STILL scoring free kicks)but Aaron Lennon scores a beauty of a goal, he teases three or four players with some fancy footwork on the edge of the box before suddenly releasing Kevin Doyle down the left flank he then charges into the box to meet the ball with a good header.

The team starts pushing on from their with Dunne hitting the crossbar with a header so in the 85th minute I give Ronaldinho his debut and he latches onto a flick on from Doyle and puts it away to give me the equalizer!.

Ended up winning on penalties(Ronaldinho,Ignasevich,Lennon)on target

Odd path in this game 2008-2010 was spent at TFC. 2010 I was at Banfield in Argentina, resigned, then from late 2010 to early 2011 I was at New England. Started pretty well, but I lost interest and resigned. I have learned that I do not like to take teams from the end of one season, through another and then start a new season.

Which is why I now am at Cologne, it is late June and they finished 9th in the Bundesliga the season before. In one of my stranger moments, I've signed Billy Jones from Preston. Why? I don't really know. I don't know why I signed Nene and Johan Elmander either. :shifty: