Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm right bored with playing the Premier League and the A-League. The latter, in particular, is ridiculously boring in FM.

I was toying with the idea of finding a way to move the Australian clubs to a different league with promotion/relegation and less of a constrictive salary cap. Has anybody been able to successfully transplant leagues? If so, how did you do it and what league did you transfer into?

I tried this with Turkey in 08 and it crashed as soon as a cup competition started. Doing it with Indonesia this time causes it to crash before it loads.

Is it possible? Or would a game like FIFA be better for that?

I have seen somewhere that someone has done this but with the Dutch league, and more teams included, such as the NSW premier league teams.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you're selecting your squad for the UEFA Cup or the Champions League, with how you have to have a certain number of players who have been at the club for 3 (?) seasons between the age of 17-21... if someone was out on loan for a couple of seasons will that screw it up?

I have seen somewhere that someone has done this but with the Dutch league, and more teams included, such as the NSW premier league teams.

Any idea how they went about it beyond swapping teams?

So I definitely like managing in the lower leagues more than in the top leagues. I've started 5 games in the last 2 days all with Premiership teams, and I can't keep an interest after 5 games. So I've started a Wycombe game again, I resigned in my prior game and could never really get anything else going. I think the problem is that I can get them promoted fairly easy, it seems to me that with 2 or 3 really good players you can pretty much steam roll past all the teams in the lower league and even the Championship. This time I'm going to take a slow and steady approach.

If I have a bad season this year I may do the honourable thing and step down so the club can progress. I've spent a lot of money and I haven't really won much, besides the FA Cup. I don't wanna do what I did with my last long game on FM07 and just stay at the same club for ages, and I'd like to play with real players for as long as possible.

This, very much this.

I had a copy of 07 thanks to my old college roomie. I played with Coventry City and after getting them promoted, thanks to the shock return of Keane :rolleyes:, I managed to do nothing over the next 10yrs except collect FA/Carling Cup trophies. Outside of that I think my best finish was 3rd, but that season had 6 teams going into the last game with a shot at it. Thanks to Keane and company though my GD was easily the best of the bunch.

I spent a ton of money but no League silverware for it. There were hardly enough real names floating around (for me), and my regens weren't very good at all.

Over the last few days I REALLY want to get back into this, but I also would like to keep my soul. Decisions, decisions.

If I have a bad season this year I may do the honourable thing and step down so the club can progress. I've spent a lot of money and I haven't really won much, besides the FA Cup. I don't wanna do what I did with my last long game on FM07 and just stay at the same club for ages, and I'd like to play with real players for as long as possible.

This, very much this.

I had a copy of 07 thanks to my old college roomie. I played with Coventry City and after getting them promoted, thanks to the shock return of Keane :rolleyes:, I managed to do nothing over the next 10yrs except collect FA/Carling Cup trophies. Outside of that I think my best finish was 3rd, but that season had 6 teams going into the last game with a shot at it. Thanks to Keane and company though my GD was easily the best of the bunch.

I spent a ton of money but no League silverware for it. There were hardly enough real names floating around (for me), and my regens weren't very good at all.

Over the last few days I REALLY want to get back into this, but I also would like to keep my soul. Decisions, decisions.

I think the reason for this is that 07 had shitty regens and 08 had them as well. This year you can just count on an amazing regen taking a position in your starting line-up after a mere 2 seasons, sometimes the good ones even pop up after 1 season.

I prefer top-ish teams over teams like Wycombe because I want to buy talented players. I can't be arsed having to play with shitty ass players that will never get anywhere. I want to be at the top, I want to be winning shit, become a national coach (which comes after success at your club), I want to be in the Champions League, I want to be able to get all the good regens etc... I have had games with lower clubs like Alaves in the second league of Spain and I promoted in my first season, also games with Crystal Palace and Carlisle with reasonable success but I always end up going back to my Ajax game. Right now I'm playing with Valencia, also a pretty big team, they have an interesting team :blush:

Playing as Antwerp I let Man United send me Gibson,Possebon,Fabio for the first season in the Belgian Second Division.

I got promoted via play-offs and then for the next season they sent me Rafael and Manucho, I also got Antwerp out of debt by selling my star player Adao Coulibally to Zenit for about 8 million so I have a bit more money to use now.

Finished 9th in the Belgian Premiership(which has really weird rules, the top 6 teams go into some sort of tournament in the end to decide the winner, whilst the relegated teams face the teams that earned the most points in the second division).

Now getting Antwerp promoted and doing well got my reputation up a fair bit(up to Popular Manager)which was enough for me to land the Ivory Coast job in the middle of the world cup!.

I drew with Scotland and Argentina and beat Australia which was enough to send me into the second round.

I beat USA 6-4in the second round!, Nigeria 1-0 in the quarter finals and Portugal on penalties in the semi.

I was only expecting to get as far as the second round so I was extremely excited that I got to the final, moreso then any other time I have played FM.

beat Spain 2-1 to win the World Cup and my reputation flew up to continental. I nearly accepted the FC Twente job but decided against it...this is my last season at Antwerp and I am going to try and win the league before moving on.

You know, there comes a stage in the semi-final of a pre-season friendly tournament when you think "Can't I just give up and go home? I don't care THAT much about progressing...".

Like here. :/

Shootout.jpg

You know, there comes a stage in the semi-final of a pre-season friendly tournament when you think "Can't I just give up and go home? I don't care THAT much about progressing...".

Like here. :/

Shootout.jpg

Just imagine them all taking trickshots instead. Then Cobian trying to score with a header from the spot and failing. :)

So finished my 4th season with Man City, and won the league! Given my results during the last four games I'm shocked I managed it, but relentless Arsenal let up enough for me to snatch the title. Got to the FA Cup Final as well, but Arsenal beat me 2-1. I'm not really bothered about that.

Now the very finest players in the world want to come to me, which is nice. I'm not sure what aspects of my team there are that I can actually improve, but Benzema seems to work awesomely as a left winger so I may play him there when Santa Cruz is fit, sell SWP and replace him with Gonzalo Higuain (:wub:) who can do the same job as SWP (but probably better) and cover for the strikers as well. Choosing four from Santa Cruz, Benzema, Higuain, Ribery, Ben Arfa, Fernandez and Arango sounds like bliss. I have a couple of other attacking midfielders, Luca Tremoldi and Lucas Trecarichi, who are just about ready to join the first team but won't because this is a circus, not a football club! Hopefully I can get some loan moves for them, as well as promising striker Tim Collins.

In terms of the two CMs I play with, I'm not sure what I can do. Lucho Gonzalez and Flamini are two of the finest CMs in the world and I doubt they can be improved upon. Michael Johnson is good backup who won't complain about sitting on the bench or ask for a transfer like that bitch Veloso did. I need another player beyond Johnson who's happy almost never playing, and I thought I had that in Gavin McCann but even he wanted to play sometimes. So I'll give Andy Maloney (awesome regen I stole from Liverpool) a shot at being fourth-choice.

My defence doesn't seem to improve regardless of who I sign but who cares, I win matches by out-scoring other teams and that's why the fans love me! Richards is my Captain and the defensive rock; he's fine. Bruno Alves and Richard Dunne are two adequate options to partner him. Beyond them I'll look to include Alistair Howson who's set to become something special. Srna is good at RB and Balzaretti will do at LB - hopefully I can give Colin Brookes and William Massari, their respective deputies, some playing time.

Akinfeev is great in goal and I'll continue my trend of signing past-it Italian goalies as backup by allowing Cudicini to warm the bench this season. Hopefully I can get a loan move for Ashley Wright so that he gets good and a club is willing to buy him.

Aiming to do better in the CL next season. It definitely doesn't help being seeded 3rd all the time since I have to deal with two massive sides in the group. I just about managed to finish second in my group to Real last season and then Inter humiliated me in the First Knockout Round.

I currently have five season career going, I started at Barcelona, winning the title in my first season and maintaining an unbeaten run in the league until mid-way through my second.

However after that it all went down hill, losing semi finalists in the Spanish cup and the Champions league, as well as blowing a massive lead at the top of La Liga.

My third season wasn't much better, we finished 2nd to Valencia in both the league and cup.

My final season at Barca brought us the Spanish Super cup aginst Real Madrid but a completely underwhelming start to the season cost us bad, finishing an unacceptable 3rd and beaten semi finalist in both the Cup and Champions league.

My Barca Team after four seasons;

GK-Victor Valdes/Sergio Asenjo

DR-Daniel Alves/Jose Vicente

DL-Emilano Insua/Thiago Carleto

DC-Charles Puyol/Gabriel Milito

DC-Gerard Pique/Daniel Carricio

DM-Ever Banega/Seydou Keita

CM-Mathiu Flamini/David Beckham

CM-Xavi/Gareth Barry

RW-Leo Messi/Xabi Prieto

LW-Gai Assulin/Daniel Aquino

ST-Bojan Kirkic/Sergio Aguero

After that third unsuccessful season I resigned and took up the England job which is going well so far.

I joined Hercules in the Spanish second division for about a month before being offered the Real Socidad job.

Edited by Hunter Hearst Hetfield

After 2 years as manager of France, I somehow managed to stumble my way to the Euro finals, and whallop Italy 4-0, something which I thought would never happen since I had scraped my way in. After that triumph, and a lot press stories saying "proud day for the fans" etc etc, I decided I needed to repay them by returning to Italy, this time as national team manager.

Interestingly enough, this is the second time I have moved into a job after Mourinho vacated it, first time at Inter. Anyway, time to fill the national team with the Inter kids I had been nurturing.

Got bored taking Bangor City to the Welsh league title. We were sitting 2nd, and were of course to win both cups. Newcastle job came up, I left and applied. Didn't get it sadly.

Now I'm just floating around trying to grab a job, 2011 just starting. Not even Zimbabwe want me. :(

started an all Britian game (plus Ireland), started in Wales with Caersws. Expected go down, got rid of a few high earning uselss tosser and brought in some freebies (included 46 year old Peter Hinds who has 2 goals in four league games). Sitting 13th thus far so not bad.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Just started a game as Fleetwood at 9 to 5's suggestion. Wanted a Blue Square N/S club. I started out over my wage budget, so I have to somehow get my crappy players off the books before I can bring anyone in. :(