What Did You Read Today?

RoyWill Rumble

That Mick Farren book sounds pretty damn cool Skummy, sounds like something I would enjoy quite a bit. Kind of surprised I haven't heard of him or the Deviants until right now, but that's good, something new for me to explore.

Unfortunately, I don't find time to read much anymore. I'm halfway through a book called Generation Kill, the book that the HBO miniseries was based on. Basically a dude from Rolling Stone goes on a series of missions with the First Recon Marines when the Iraq war initially began in 03. It's an interesting look at my generations first real action in combat, and the personalities they have that probably differ greatly than their fathers and grandfathers.

I still have Brave New World (have had it for a year and not started) as well as 1491 which is just a history of North America, specifically the United States prior to Columbus arriving.

I've been feeling rather southern Gothic horror/weird cult stuff in general since watching True Detective and I've already scouted out:

- Galveston

- Necronomicon: HP Lovecraft Collection

- The King In Yellow

- I Hate To See The Evening Sun Go Down & Other Short Stories

- Child of God

Any other suggestions?

The Corner is pretty harrowing, but superb stuff - have you read Homicide?

Not yet. I keep meaning to reserve it from the library, but then get other books instead. Once I finish Connections (which is about linking advances in technology and inventions together throughout history, like 'this leads to this leads to that leads to the cellphone' type stuff) and Guns, Germs, and Steel, I'm going to pick it up.

I just finished The Guns of August, which was superb. I'm a huge history nerd, but I'd never really been overly interested in WWI, but this was very cool. It's basically about the very beginning of the war, this first month, which set up the next three-four years. It was very enlightening to see how the first battles of the war were so different than the trench warfare nightmare that was to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading Jacob Holdt's American Pictures, after seeing a lecture of his. It really challenged me, even though I am consider myself not at all racist or oppressive towards anyone, he really opened my eyes to a lot of stuff. So I immediately bought his book (and he even signed it). And the book is every bit as interesting, inspirational and thought-provoking as I had hoped.

• 3 weeks later...

Read Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets and finished off the Hunger Games trilogy last week. Read World War Z yesterday. All three were good, though I wasn't completely happy with Mockingjay, mostly because fuck Peeta. World War Z made me wish the movie had been an actual mockumentary, but also made me happy, because, fuck yeah, California survives.

Gonna read Moneyball over the next few days. I find that I'm going through books quicker and quicker lately.

• 1 month later...

Wigrum by Daniel Canty is a fantastic book. Just finished it today.

t’s October 1944. During a brief respite from the aerial bombardment of London, Sebastian Wigrum absconds from his small flat and disappears into the fog for a walk in the Unreal City. This is our first and only encounter with the enigmatic man we come to discover decades later through more than one hundred everyday objects he has left behind. Wigrum’s bequest is a meticulously catalogued collection of the profoundly ordinary: a camera, some loose teeth, candies and keys, soap, bits of string, hazelnuts, and a handkerchief. Moving through the inventory artifact to artifact, story to story, we become immersed in a dreamlike narrative bricolagedetermined as much by the objects’ museological presentation as by the tender and idiosyncratic mania of Wigrum’s impulse to collect them.

Basically, the novel consists of little mini-narratives of all this massive inventory Wigrum left behind, and the reader slowly pieces together how everything connects. It's so, so, so well written. And it's not a traditional narrative, which I love.

Speaking of non-traditional narratives, go read Air Carnation by Guadalupe Muro and I Don't Know How to Behave by Michael Blouin.

Also, I know it's from March, but The Sound and the Fury is god-damned fantastic. The first chapter alone is some of the best characterization I've ever read.

Now I'm going to read some more CanLit, because that is what I do. Polyamorous Love Song by Jacob Wren is next on the list, because BookThug is awesome.

• 1 month later...

I've been reading lots recently.

After finishing The Stand by Stevie King (really good, really long) I started The 100 Year Old Man Who something something.. it was alright. I struggled to finish it.

Then I read Gone Girl. Which was really good. The ending surprised me.

And I just finished The Maze Runner, which was quite good. I read it fast so I guess I enjoyed it. Two sequels and a prequel seems a bit much to get through now - mind. Young adult dystopia is popular these days. If you liked The Hunger Games (I did), you'll like this. I was much more into The Hunger Games though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got really bugged about the fact that I don't read anymore, and I tried to on my phone but.. fuck e-books really.

So after some office discussion and some big reccomendations, I went out and picked up the first three books (collected) in the Legend of Drizzt series along with a few other mostly fantasy themed novels.

e-books are wonderful if you have an E-reader. Phones are not meant for books.

nook.jpg

That's the Nook I have. Pages look just like a book.

Just finished Ready Player One. So good wish I could read it all over again for the first time.

No idea what to read now.

Anyone else pick up the new Jericho book? Just broke down and got it on my Kindle and i'm loving it so far. Especially the Vince stuff. It's gold!

I read this before Ready Player One. Really enjoyed it. Gave me a whole new love for Jericho.