The 2008-09 FA Cup Thread

Matt

• Admin

Sunderland away is the perfect draw for us. We haven't lost in the North-East for years. Even Incey managed to beat Sunderland & Newcastle on his travels up that way.

Ah, here it is: Rover's North-East Record:

2008-09:

Sunderland 1-2 Rovers

Newcastle 1-2 Rovers

2007-08:

Newcastle 0-1 Rovers

Sunderland 1-2 Rovers

Boro 1-2 Rovers

2006-07:

Boro 0-1 Rovers

Newcastle 0-2 Rovers

2005-06:

Boro 0-1 Rovers

Boro 0-2 Rovers

Newcastle 0-1 Rovers

Sunderland 0-1 Rovers

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have liked a lower league team for a laugh, as we never seem to get a decent draw. But we also have the backing knowing that it's just a Cup, if we lose we lose and it doesn't reflect too badly on the team because we lost to a Premiership side. Then we can focus on staying up, so I guess it's win-win for us.

Of course we currently stand at W1 D1 L1 this season between us - and I can't say I fancy having lost to Blackburn twice this season :-\ Fortunately we haven't lost to them where it counts.

I don't think you can blame the linesman too much for not spotting that Welbeck was offside for the first goal. The penalty decision was a bit iffy though. The replays were inconclusive though, it looked to me that it hit him on the very top of the arm, but the player and commentator were convinced it was on the head. He shouldn't have raised his arm like that either way.

As for the sending off, I didn't think it was too bad at first but on seeing the replay it looked a right nasty tackle. You can't go stabbing into a tackle studs first like that.

Gotta give props to Davis. Granted he let in 3 goals but he did make some excellent saves.

edit: Oh yeah, and I was really hoping Anderson would get off the mark. From the highlights he was looking really good for a goal, but still he hasn't got one yet.

• Admin
I love the way you're all assuming Blackburn are getting through. Blyth are knocking you out. Then they'll beat Sunderland away, too. :P

If Blyth were in any other part of the country, I'd be a little worried. But they're North East, so we're fine :P

I'm still hoping they get knocked out!

We're in the draw for the first time since the eighties, but we haven't actually played our 3rd round tie yet.

I'm expecting an away trip to somebody mediocre like Hartlepool or Torquay, or somebody I've already seen this season in the league like Nottingham Forest or Charlton/Norwich.

Torquay are 2 divisions below us ¬_¬

I know, maybe I should've said 'undesirable' rather than 'mediocre'. What I meant was that I was expecting a tie which I wasn't likely to go to and we weren't likely to get excited over.

Well, it just looks crap, especially at a stadium's like Blyth's. They had the Blyth manager will the full headphone and mic combo with him able to hear the commentator's questions and I thought "huh, maybe Setanta have got a deal with lower league clubs or something". Then a few minutes later they've got the touchline reporter interviewing Sam Allerdyce. Half time interview? Sure. Full time interview? Obviously. Just don't go speaking to them when the game is in full flow and they've got enough to worry about. Not to mention we'd rather be watching the game than someone sticking a mic in Big Sam's face.

EDIT: Or do what Sky do and just get Geoff Shreeves to report back every so often if there's something important that needs mentioning.

Edited by Scott McFly