The single best gig you've ever been at.

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

No "hmm this or this", no "honourable mentions". I just wanna hear the best ever gig you've had the pleasure of attending.

Mine is my first ever Polysics gig which was a few years ago at Bar Academy in Birmingham. About 20/30 folk were there and we struggled through a few extremely average warm-up acts. Each group doing a good job of hyping Polysics up and then they came on and sent the room totally crazy with their amazingly chirpy Japanese Devoesque shenanigans. I had a massive smile on my face for two hours and was jumping up and down, dancing on one of the couches. I think it was their first trip over to England. I went to see them when they came back the year after and then I believe they went back to England again this summer but it's too far to travel :P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best gig I've been to is probably one of the last ones I went to. Weirdly enough, not really involving any bands I love, but it was Turisas, supported by Norther and Alestorm. Got there at the start, and Alestorm were a complete laugh, and I'd just got into them, so was good to know the songs they were playing. Anyone who sports a keytar is pretty awesome by my books >_> Didn't watch much of Norther, as they were pretty good, but nothing exciting compared to what was on offer with Alestorm and Turisas. A fair few beers later, Turisas was on, and they are the perfect beer and music band. Even my girlfriend, who had moaned at going to see the gig considering what the bands do, was won over. There wasn't a hell of a lot of people there, but the atmosphere and vibe was good, and Turisas were awesome. Singalong metal, and a great time.

I've seen better individual bands live, but as for a whole gig, it has to go to this one.

The Libertines at The Forum.

Gearing up for the release of the second album Libertines' gigs could be something unpredictable, even by their standards. I saw two gigs in quick succession, this and one at Brixton. At Brixton Pete smashed up some equipment, walked off stage during Can't Stand Me Now and slashed his chest at open. At The Forum, things went well. The set list drew mainly from the first album, although songs from the second had long since been around online and picked up their own familiarity. The whole thing concluded with a stage invasion during the closer 'I Get Along', which can be seen on the official video for 'Can't Stand Me Now', although I didn't make the cut of that. Nights like that made it difficult to take when the band called it a day not long after.

The best gig I've been to is probably one of the last ones I went to. Weirdly enough, not really involving any bands I love, but it was Turisas, supported by Norther and Alestorm. Got there at the start, and Alestorm were a complete laugh, and I'd just got into them, so was good to know the songs they were playing. Anyone who sports a keytar is pretty awesome by my books >_> Didn't watch much of Norther, as they were pretty good, but nothing exciting compared to what was on offer with Alestorm and Turisas. A fair few beers later, Turisas was on, and they are the perfect beer and music band. Even my girlfriend, who had moaned at going to see the gig considering what the bands do, was won over. There wasn't a hell of a lot of people there, but the atmosphere and vibe was good, and Turisas were awesome. Singalong metal, and a great time.

I've seen better individual bands live, but as for a whole gig, it has to go to this one.

I think I may have to agree with this. I've seen the odd better individual performance, but that grouping was nothing short of amazing.

I knew a little of Alestorm and a fair bit of Turisas before hand. 'd heard one crappy live video of Norther's and weren't impressed at that time. I went with a couple of friends who went on the premise it was cheap and there were pirates. One of them wasn't feeling well at all, but she was so impressed by each band she stayed until the very end.

Alestorm were shit hot and possibly the best opening band I've ever seen. Norther were a great follow up as they gave you somewhat of a respite from the comical antics and just played great melodic death metal. That live video I watched just hadn't done them justice and I'm not a big fan of theirs. And Turisas OWNED.

So, yeah, I'll probably have to agree with this. Which venue did you see them at? I was at The Corporation, Sheffield.

Norther fucked that gig up. They're shit. Not "not very good, but they're ok with a few beers", they're actually terrible. Alestorm are pretty much the epitome of "awesome opening act". They are THE best opening act ever. What they really, really, really didn't need on that tour was Norther absolutely slaying the crowd's interest and good mood right before Turisas. Maybe it was different in Sheffield (can't have been that much different, unless Norther were kidnapped prior to the gig and replaced with a good band ¬_¬).

So yeah, that's not my best ever gig. Paganfest might've been, if I'd been able to go (Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, Eluveitie, and Tyr), but I couldn't, so fuck Paganfest. Got to see Korpiklaani in the Bierkeller in Bristol a few months before that though. One of theee tiniest venues ever. It was awesome.

My best ever gig would have to be Dragonforce supported by Edguy and Sabaton at the Mean Fiddler in London. Back when Dragonforce were good. It was Fred LeClerq's first tour with them (his second gig, I believe), and you'd never have noticed. They were awesome, and in time, and in tune, and everything. Ah, the good ol' days... Then there was Edguy. I really don't need to go into details on that one. They were Edguy.

The only negative thing about the gig was that everywhere else in Europe, Dragonforce were supporting Edguy. But in England it was the other way around. :(

Oh, and it was also awesome because Keith was there.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I have to go with Turisas, as many others. Saw them at Nummirock this summer and they absolutely tore the house down. Not only was it the perfect way to end the festival but it was the perfect concert also. Everyone was into it, and if they weren't they got into it. Turisas are really one of the greatest live bands I have ever seen.

Norther fucked that gig up. They're shit. Not "not very good, but they're ok with a few beers", they're actually terrible. Alestorm are pretty much the epitome of "awesome opening act". They are THE best opening act ever. What they really, really, really didn't need on that tour was Norther absolutely slaying the crowd's interest and good mood right before Turisas. Maybe it was different in Sheffield (can't have been that much different, unless Norther were kidnapped prior to the gig and replaced with a good band ¬_¬).

So yeah, that's not my best ever gig. Paganfest might've been, if I'd been able to go (Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Moonsorrow, Eluveitie, and Tyr), but I couldn't, so fuck Paganfest. Got to see Korpiklaani in the Bierkeller in Bristol a few months before that though. One of theee tiniest venues ever. It was awesome.

My best ever gig would have to be Dragonforce supported by Edguy and Sabaton at the Mean Fiddler in London. Back when Dragonforce were good. It was Fred LeClerq's first tour with them (his second gig, I believe), and you'd never have noticed. They were awesome, and in time, and in tune, and everything. Ah, the good ol' days... Then there was Edguy. I really don't need to go into details on that one. They were Edguy.

The only negative thing about the gig was that everywhere else in Europe, Dragonforce were supporting Edguy. But in England it was the other way around. :(

Oh, and it was also awesome because Keith was there.

I'm guessing Norther just weren't to your taste as I couldn't fault them really. Most of the crowd got into them in a kind of 'this is a pretty good inbetween the two better bands band' kind of way. And my friend liked them, and she doesn't usually like anything to do with death vocals - melodic or otherwise.

Also, the 'normality' of Norther worked well in getting the crowd ready for Turisas. We'd had the gimmicky, but awesome, opening. We'd had the 'calm-down' act. Now we were ready for the main event (to use a wrestling vernacular). And boy did Turisas bring it.

I'm still gutted I couldn't get to see the Dragonforce + Turisas tour as that would've owned.

I also pray for the day Turisas tour with Amon Amarth and/or Wintersun. I may actually die of glee if that happened.

...I started right...as I couldn't figure it out...having a little write up of gigs I'd class as "close to the top" (I know it was said...no 'near mentions' and stuff, but whatever)...I've got about 20 gigs (most from this year...but when I've seen; A Wilhelm Scream, Frank Turner (x2), Ignite, The Gaslight Anthem, Strung Out, Ben Folds, The Weakerthans, Stars Of The Lid...yadda yadda, it isn't that surprising :shifty:)...I'll finish shit off and post later. :shifty:

Damn, this is a tough, tough one.

Here are some of the possibilities;

Iron Maiden...w/Funeral For A Friend [2003]

Now I wasn't, and am still not the biggest Maiden fan. I went as I was massively into FFAF, it was just after the release of "Casually Dressed" and I got a free ticket from a friend. FFAF got a bit of shit, but it generally wasn't that bad and they rocked it. And Maiden, damn, what a fucking live show. I knew the 'obvious' songs, and just happily rocked out to the rest. Maiden such amazing showmen. It's part of the reason I never particularly checked them out, as I don't think on record it will stand up to how it felt live. They are some bands that just 'bring it' and Maiden did. Was such a solid bill, support and headline, that it's going to definitely be up there.

Alkaline Trio...w/Hot Water Music [2003]

I will never forgive myself about this show. I missed all of HWM, bar 2 songs...because I was in the pub. At the time, not a big deal, I had fuck all idea who they were, well I'd heard the name knocked about, and thought it 'sounded silly' so never checked them out. Alk3 were fucking awesome though. Mixing in a bunch of old stuff with the stuff from the recently released "Good Mourning". Killer band, so much fun. Also an epic 'social' gig, kind of like Blink that followed. In that there was a group of us there, it felt great.

Dillinger Escape Plan...@Leeds Festival [2004]

FUCKING...INSANE!

Blink 182...w/Sugarcult, The Kinisons [2004]

Say what you want, Blink were a HUGE band for our generation. I was 2nd year college (I think :shifty:) at this time, and I know, out of my maths class of 13 people...12 went to this gig. Even if people didn't like them at that time, they were a big part of growing up, and seeing them on their farewell tour was a huge thing. However, it was Sugarcult who stole the show with an epic set, with a bunch of ridiculously catchy tunes. Unfortunately they didn't transfer across that well to CD, where they sound a little boring. Also, there was The Kinisons, who were so ridiculously AWFUL they got a load of crap thrown at them...I love Newcastle. :) Strangely, this was the gig that got me to check out Death Cab, as they were originally going to be a support act. Thank god they got cut, as I HATED them (not what I was expecting)...however only a month or so later "A Movie Script Ending" came on random, and I fell in love with them.

Pennywise...w/Stretch Arm Strong, Waterdown, Fire Apple Red [2005]

The other day, on a forum I go to, Fire Apple Red got brought up and it was such a nostalgic moment. This was a period where the UK punk-rock scene was pretty much in the shits, and there was this one band, who were bordering on the AWS/Whippersnapper style sound, Fire Apple Red, who I don't know if I'm looking back through rose tinted glasses, but they were awesome. What the fuck happened to all these support bands? What the fuck's going on with Stretch Arm Strong, I haven't heard of them since...well...this show pretty much, they were fucking amazing. Waterdown were pretty cool too, I still remember vividly they had two vocalists, a MASSIVE fat guy and a tiny guy...the tiny guy did all the shouts and screams while the fatty sang, still makes me laugh thinking about it. Pennywise were, well, Pennywise...fucking amazing!

Break The Silence...w/...fuck knows :shifty: [2005]

While it was a proper rocking gig, I honestly wouldn't put it near the best...although I did get to have a quick chat and shake Dan Precision's (88 Fingers Louie, Rise Against, Break The Silence, Zero To Sixty) hand...godly.

Bad Religion...w/'some band I don't remember', Fire Apple Red [2005]

More from the almighty Fire Apple Red! Bad Religion rocked it. The other band...well...didn't make that much of an impression. Bad Religion put on a really fun live show, chock full of classics.

Death Cab For Cutie...w/John Vanderslice [2006]

I was so psyched for this gig and Death Cab most certainly didn't dissapoint. John Vanderslice sounded really quite good too, but me and my mates went upstairs and played pool for a while about halfway through his set. I bought one of his CD's and he signed it, had a bit banter, he seemed a nice bloke. Quite a nice set, played a bunch of my favourites "Lightness", "Company Calls", "Brothers On A Hotel Bed", "We Laugh Indoors" etc.

A Wilhelm Scream...w/No Trigger [2007]

This could have been so much better. I mean, I had no idea No Trigger were supporting and at that moment in time was all over their album "Canyoneer". However, I was originally meant to go with my girlfriend (but broke up beforehand) so just 'drafted in' a friend to go with me...it really wasn't his kind of thing. So basically...I didn't get as much into it as I could. Two of my favourite punk-rock acts, and I just stood around...meh. Still, what you going to do? They were still absolutely fucking awesome. This was also the tour AWS debuted "5 To 9", it was NUTS!

Brand New...w/MeWithoutYou [2007]

If it was for individual 'set', Brand New would be head and shoulders above most bands on this list. Originally support was to be provided by former Sunny Day Real Estate frontman, Jeremy Enigk! Now this put me on a MASSIVE downer. I LOOOOVE Enigk, from SDRE, his solo stuff, everything. I was so gutted when he pulled out, but if anything, it led to a much more epic Brand New performance. MeWithoutYou were absolute gash. The singer had an accordion, but that couldn't hide the fact they were absolutely shit. But Brand New were fucking AMAZING! They split their set up into 3 sections, playing their material chronologically ("...Favourite Weapon" -> "Deja Entendu" -> "...Devil & God..."). Starting with a one man "Jude Law..." straight into a full band "Seventy Times 7" (causing the place to go FUCKING MENTAL!) they played for 2 hours, basically doing the entirety of "Deja Entendu" (I think they skipped one song). I got a black eye during this gig, but fuck, it was amazing. Plus the final visual of Jesse Lacey hanging 20-foot from a pile of speakers, screaming the end of "You Wont Know" down at us was fucking brilliant.

Babyshambles...w/Dizzee Rascal, Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong [2007]

The arena tour may have financially been a flop, but Pete was clean and the bands performance was breathtaking. I missed Rascal/Joe Lean as I was getting high, but fuck Babyshambles were so fucking good. Could have done with maybe more first album songs, but their material is all so strong it wasn't that big of a deal. The tease of not doing "Fuck Forever", only for Pete to nod to the guitarist at the end of the encore ("Back From The Dead" if I remember right) and go straight into it, was nicely done. Was kind of upset that the set at Leeds was basically exactly the same (order and everything), sans a few songs. I was hoping for one of the new songs, but we didn't get one. :( They were still great at Leeds too though.

A Wilhelm Scream...w/Failsafe, All Idols Fall [2008]

This gig I actually went to with my ex, it was a lot more fun than last time. All Idols Fall were rocking, not to the standard of No Trigger, but were great, their EP's really good. Failsafe are shit. And the fat bassist stole my standing space, leaning against a wall, when I went to the bar...arsehole, I'll never forgive him for that. AWS were fucking INSANE! New guitarist, new album, it just fit together so perfectly. Totally insane. I made Nuno laugh too, good night allround.

Stars Of The Lid...w/d_rradio, Mariposa [2008]

A gig in a church, was fucking beautiful. I'd have never dreamed about going to a gig like this, but given my 'year of gigs', I sucked it up and went by myself (although I managed to convince a high friend to come with me, SUCCESS!). Mariposa were pretty good, a man and woman duo, using guitar loops and "Ah's" while she rattled and banged things. d_rradio were another local band, brought a more electronic twinge to the style, were really good. Their album is cracking too. Stars Of The Lid were breathtaking. They say they prefer these kind of shows to 'club' shows, and I understand why. The atmosphere was just right. They had a string quartet, projections and stuff. Was just so beautiful. I think a quote from my friend sums it up the best; "I have no fucking idea what I just saw. But it were brilliant!" One of those gigs that it's really difficult to put into words, was just an 'experience'.

Ignite...w/Death Before Dishonor, BurnThe8Track, 1000 Hertz [2008]

The bullshit I went through to finally see Ignite, fucking hell. "Our Darkest Days" is one of my favourite punk-rock albums of all time, and hands down my favourite release of 2006. They toured in 2007 (or it may have been 2006), playing a local venue for £4! I didn't find out about it, until afterwards, and missed the show. I waited and waited for them to come back. 2008 they did, playing another show local to me (more expensive this time :(), only they cancelled it literally 2 days beforehand. Pissed off, I book myself down to London for an extended weekend (Weakerthans on the Monday)...and it was well worth it. Missed 1000 Hertz. BurnThe8Track were canny good. DBD were canny wank. But Ignite, hearing those songs live, made all the hassle and wait worth it. Zoli Teglas is a fucking well built bastard too. Wish they'd stop being overly political though. They didn't need to interrupt the gig to have some knobhead come on and talk about global warming and shit.

The Weakerthans...w/Dawn Landes, Christine Fellows [2008]

John K Sampson could do better than Fellows, at least she doesn't look like a tranny in person though. Fellows played some cute numbers. Landes was really, really good and has a boney bum I just want to chew on for days. The Weakerthans, absolutely fucking perfect. Ran over the gig curfew, had 2 encores, just absolutely beautiful. So much fun to watch too, which I really didn't think they would be the kind of band who would be. Up there with Brand New as one of my favourite performances.

Ben Folds...w/Corn Mo [2008]

I tagged along with a couple, and I only decided to buy a ticket the day of the thing, but all 'awkwardness' at 'couple-fest 08' soon went away once the gig started. Corn Mo was absolutely amazing. Andrew WK with an accordion, what's not to love. Busting out funny songs about 'school days' and stuff, just brilliant. Ben Folds was absolutely breathtaking. Mixing in some Ben Folds Five stuff as well as new songs that were going to be on "Way To Normal". This one's a definite possibility. Folds really brought it, and Mo did his job and getting everyone psyched up so well.

Death Cab For Cutie...w/Styrofoam [2008]

Give Styrofoam another half hour, and this would have been the best gig I ever went to. However, with only about 20/25 minutes, he churned out 6-songs, all from the new album, and the disappointment at no "Couches In Alleys" (YOU HAD BEN GIBBARD THERE DAMNIT!!!) which is one of my favourite EVER songs, sucked it out of me a bit. That being said, Styrofoam were really, really good. The girl who is part of the live band is sexy, and has a great voice. "After Sunset" is a killer tune, but with her doing the harmonies (especially when she went high in the last chorus, amazing) it's even better. Death Cab really brought it too. Sticking to the stronger songs from "Narrow Stairs" (How huge is "I Will Possess Your Heart" live? "FUCKING HUGE!" is the answer) and a bunch of older stuff to keep people happy. Also there was a pretty big amount of variation from the last time I saw them which was really cool. "Expo '86" = :wub:

Frank Turner...@Leeds Festival [2008]

I saw Frank earlier in the year, just as "Love Ire & Song", his second solo album was going to be released. However, I had no idea about that album, and whilst I thought his performance was amazing, I was a little 'out of touch' with some of the songs he played. Here I was well and truly caught up, the tent was totally packed and EVERYONE was singing along. Absolutely nuts. Brilliant set.

H2O...@Leeds Festival [2008]

What a band. How a band can mix catchy and power so well, I have no idea. They just produce amazing live tunes, that you just want to rock out to. But this was another case, like Iron Maiden, where it was the 'showmanship' that really won me over, they made me LOVE the idea of circle pits. A few songs into their set, the singer hops off stage, gets into the crowd, into the circle pit and proceeds to sing the rest of the set in there. FUCKING INSANE! LOVE IT! Also hilarious for the little girls there at the start wanting to see them H Two O f/Platnum guys, and getting the everloving shit scared out of them, and flattened once blistering punk-rock kicks off. Finishing with "What Happened?" slowed things down a bit, but it's a proper good singalong ender, my favourite from the new album. "DRESS CODE! FUCK NO!"...booyah!

The Gaslight Anthem...@Leeds Festival [2008]

They were the band I wanted to see. They were the band, when they were announced, I went absolutely fucking APESHIT about. My excitement was made even greater when Set Your Goals (I think) pulled out, and Gaslight Anthem were given another 10-minutes on their set time. Sunday rolled around, the moment they stepped on stage it was nuts. A great set for a band with so many strong songs, playing a bunch of my favourites; "Angry Johnny & The Radio", "Great Expectations", "I'Da Called You Woody Joe", "Wooderson", "Casanova, Baby!" and "Say I Wont (Recognize)". Really gutted I couldn't make it down to see them in Manchester for a full set a few days later. Also, it doesn't look likely that I'll get down to see them in London next month either. :(

Strung Out...w/Pure Graft, Chief [2008]

I missed Chief, proper downer. I wish Pure Graft would die in a house fire. Strung Out were...well..Strung Out!!! FUCKING AMAZING!!! Although, they didn't really play any of my favourite songs. So...a little disappointing, although I wasn't particularly disappointed, but you get what I'm saying. Gutted I missed Chief.

Now...what wins? Brand New, Ben Folds and The Weakerthans are definately up there as far as 'best sets' go. Looks at the bills, I'd say Pennywise had the strongest. However, when I thought of 'best gig I've been too', while it was awesome, I didn't really think of that. Maiden/Folds also had great bills from top to bottom. Although the fact I'm not massively into Maiden knocks them down a peg. DCFC/Styrofoam was AMAZING, but Styrofoam's set was too short. Stars of The Lid was amazing top to bottom. I was really surprised by d_rradio and the atmosphere was great too...however...The Weakerthans w/Dawn Landes, Christine Fellows gets the 'victory', and quite easily. Even though I completely crashed and burned with a breathtakingly beautiful blonde girl, the gig was just so good. The chills I got, unbelievable. After the first 5 songs I was seriously standing there like "Holy shit, they can't top this!" and then bang straight into "The Reasons" and they did, the entire gig continued at that level, two encores, over the curfew...I had to sprint to St Pancras (thankfully the gig was at Scala, so close) and JUST caught my train...amazing!

I waffle on far too much. :shifty:

Edited by YI

My Bloody Valentine at the Apollo in Manchester. Firstly, I only got tickets about two days before the gig. I paid like three quid to my mate who got four from E-Bay. We got completely blindsided. I had, pretty much coincidentally, been listening the fuck out of them for the past week. They're just a good summer band. I didn't even know they were on tour until my mate who lives in Norwich mentioned that he was going to see them in London. I presumed I would've missed out on tickets for any reachable venue; apparently not.

The actual gig was just perfect. Almost the exact set-list that I would've wanted (I would've substituted 'Soft as Snow...' in for 'Cigarette in Your Bed', but I didn't really expect to hear 'Soft...' because seemingly no-one likes that song). Gorgeous ethereal quality to it. The first time that I've been to a gig with video or some kind of visual effect (or any kind of non-aural accompaniment) and thought 'yeah... this gig would be sub-optimal without this...'. Dancing, head-nodding, accidentally twatting the girl next to me whilst busting a move too many to 'Soon'. Ah...

The nice thing about going to see MBV is that you can really believe that it's no different to how seeing them in the 90s would've been. They have no new material to try to crowbar in around songs that are actually, you know, good. They don't really have a mystique/aura/oftheirtimeishness to have rubbed off (c.f. seeing Gang of Four and the Undertones in the Noughties). It's 'all about the music, man'. One of the best experiences of my life. I could quite happily spend the remainder of my existence just going to that gig over and over again on repeat until I die.

EDIT: I'd also recently split up with my ex in circumstances that Kevin Shields appears to have cribbed (using a time machine, I suppose, the crafty Mick bastard) precisely for the lyrics to 'You Never Should'. So I was able to convince myself that they were tacitly dedicating that song to me.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

Three different answers for three different reasons.

For just music appreciation? No doubt SARStock, especially because I went for free. It was worth it for The Stones alone, even if they're all old and decrepid. Sam Roberts was great, and even if I don't much like their music, The Flaming Lips put on a fucking rad show. Even my hatred for Rush and Blue Rodeo couldn't stop me from having a good time, because I just wandered about with my friend when they played. Plus, AC/DC, who I fucking despise weren't as terrible as I expected them to be, and Justin Timberlake got pelted with muffins. Good times.

Most fun live was probably Alexisonfire. Sure, most of the crowd were complete cocks, but it was still incredibly fun. It was another show I went to for free (thanks other people for bailing on my friend!) which was by no means the best show ever, but probably the most fun overall show. The opening two acts sucked, but the crowd absolutely fucking ripped on them and it was hilarious. The first band was some standard indie band who was passable, while the next was some terrible fucking Tool/Nirvana-esque band who got booed off the fucking stage. People in front of us were grinding to it, too, which made it that much more hilarious when they left the stage and everyone around them was booing. I really would have enjoyed it a fuckload more if they played stuff from their first album, since I'm not particularly fond of anything after aside from a few songs on 'Watch Out!', Alexisonfire still puts on a fucking awesome show live. That was this year.

Finally, I was the whitest fucking person ever, but the Rock the Bells concert back in 2007 was fucking epic. EPPPPPICCCCCC. It was all the way in New York, but this concert could not be passed up by a few friends and me, so we went on a fucking road trip. The show was absolutely amazing. Wu-Tang Clan, Rage Against the Machine, The Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, fucking Public Enemy, so on, so forth. Plus, there was a lot of memorable shit on the way there. I nearly got killed probably, but it was still fun as fuck. This was worth it for the roadtrip alone, but holy fuck was the concert insane. In fact, I think this ties with SARStock. This was the only concert I've had to pay for aside a Metric concert and a few local shows really, but this was definitely worth the insane amount of money.

Edited by Will.

Rock The Bells in 2007. I was at the stop near Boston/Providence, not the even bigger ones in NYC, but it was just still epic. The entire show was nuts (Talib Kweli, Cypress Hill, and Nas (and others on the lower card) already performed), and then came Wu Tang after 7 plus hours... it was energy draining but still kept going. Crazy.

Tiesto had a show last year in downtown Hartford I saw, outdoors. That was pretty crazy too.

Oh, and for any fellow Shields/Butcher boosters, the night was nicely capped off by a drunken MSN conversation when I got in that involved coming up with 'much less cool' names for MBV songs. We got:

'When You Have a Kip', 'Don't Do That', 'Lots of Ladies', 'Where are We Going?', 'Not That Deep', 'Oh, I See', 'Let's Tongue Wrestle!', 'Shortly', 'You are Drunk', 'That's Enough, Thanks', 'I'm Winded!', 'My Fingers Have Fallen Off', 'Arrive on Your Tod', 'Every Now and Then', 'Not so Fast' and, lastly, 'Run Me Over in a Car'.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

That was my only complaint, that I missed out on Nas. However, Mos Def, Cypress Hill, RATM, The Roots, Talib Kweli, etc. made up for it. That shit can't be described in words.

New York def. had the better card between the two cities. I was surprised Nas was not at New York though, considering he was on the tour off-and-on before and after those dates.

God knows...living in a backwater island as I do, I've not seen nearly as many gigs as I would like to, but the majority of gigs I've gone out of my way to go to have been bloody fantastic...

...for sheer impact, though, can't go wrong with SunnO))) at All Tomorrow's Parties last year. I've enjoyed gigs more, but no one gig has ever affected me in the same way as SunnO))) - I left feeling genuinely altered, and somewhat uneasy. The most genuinely intense, difficult and troubling (yes, those are things I look for in music) band I've ever seen, and it's up against some stiff competition. Just for the fact that no band has ever inspired any emotions as powerfully as that, means SunnO))) probably win.

That said, Chrome Hoof at the same festival were probably the nearest I'll ever come to a religious experience.

If festivals don't count, then it's between Art Brut at a tiny nightclub in Jersey that's now better known (NATIONALLY) for not letting in fat birds, although plenty of other gigs were probably better it was just a good fun night, or Nine Inch Nails and Saul Williams at Brixton Academy, a week after the 7/7 bombings, promoting With Teeth...that would be up there just for the image of Trent, silhouetted over his keyboard, as sweat just poured from his face, and he began to play "Hurt".