Download Festival 2009

GA!

I don't have a problem with them headlinging, especially the Friday. They're known worldwide, there's been calls for a reuinion for years, it's pretty epic >_>

Exactly. Its a pretty huge reunion. If you were going to have FNM, they were always going to be headlining.

And as for not being big in the UK, where does that come from? Considering we are talking about alternative rock/metal festivals, are you basing it on radio play, or what?

As far as I'm aware, "Epic" is played occasionally on Kerrang and Scuzz, that's about the top and bottom of it. I've never really noticed them getting much attention even by alternative stations/fans. Most people on the forums hate the decision for them to headline, but I'll catch them if there isn't anything better on.

I was looking at the forums, and this seems to sum a lot of it up (not that I feel this is for you, but yeah):

Everyone I know of my age is more than excited to see FNM headline DL. All of the people I know who are p!ssed, are people under about 25, and generally listen to the tripe pumped out as something "special" and promoted endlessly by mags like Kerrang.

There's a good chance this year will attract a larger crowd, adults with money, instead of a load of kids with £40 to last them the weekend.

It's a great move by DL.

The top bit is probably a bit general, and not necessarily 100% correct, but yeah, you are going to get a lot of people who are crying because MCR or some such band isn't headlining. However, as someone else mentioned, you are going to get the people who are like 'FNM are shit', and then you are going to get the people who are going to be 'FNM are awesome, how can you not like them?', rather than just accepting the headline choice and then working out what else you might see.

But the second half makes the most sense to me. It does open it up to people that may not have come otherwise, since FNM were pretty big back in the day (and still get a lot of love to this day), and still are with a fair amount of people, though they may not all be the sorts that spend their days posting on forums >_> Anyways, as was also said on the forum, if FNM isn't your bag, then there are loads of other bands, so I don't really get the big pissing contest.

Actually, having typed this out, I think that whilst FNM may not be as big as some bands, you also have to realise that Mike Patton is HUGELY loved across the board by a lot of people, so whilst FNM themselves may not get wOMG's from some people, Patton is a 'draw'.

EDIT: I do find it sad a little that there are a fair few people who don't know who they are on the forum.....seriously?

SECOND EDIT: Do I have to have the countdown everytime I go to the website? Jeez.

Also, are they headlining over Korn and Limp Bizkit on that day? If so, makes even more sense, since FNM are the influence for stuff like Korn and Limp Bizkit. So far, it kinda makes it so that every day has its 'theme' or whatever, with Def Leppard, Whitesnake, ZZ Top all on one day, FNM, Limp and Korn on another, and then Slipknot and MM on Saturday, seemingly.

Edited by rvdwannabe

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me Faith No More over My Chemical Romance any day :P

I don't think nearly as many people would be pissed off if it weren't for the big deal they made out of it with the countdown and such. I personally would have been happier if they announced the three headliners from the start - I'd be able to look at them and think "oh, that's good, that's not so good, but that makes up for it." The way they did it, I'd expect a really, really phenomenal band. Then again, if it was anything less than a zombified Beatles reunion, then there was always gonna be some people that would piss all over it.

Yeah, they ballsed up the announcement pretty much. As you say, short of something really, really amazing, they were always on to a bit of a loser with that one. Instead, you get FNM which to FNM fans is awesome, but to a lot of people probably do fit more the 'heh, cool' category, which isn't exactly what you want when something has been built up so much.

I'd be looking to see where their European tour takes them though, since Dowload is too expensive for me really, especially considering I'll need to buy two tickets since I tend to buy tickets for my girlfriend when its something that I want to do more than her. Plus the line-up leaves me a little non-plussed on the whole....although with festivals, you know you'll have some good times no matter what. Hell, you'll get surprised by the bands who rock you live..Sum 41 and Good Charlotte, step forward.

I don't have a problem with them headlinging, especially the Friday. They're known worldwide, there's been calls for a reuinion for years, it's pretty epic >_>

Exactly. Its a pretty huge reunion. If you were going to have FNM, they were always going to be headlining.

And as for not being big in the UK, where does that come from? Considering we are talking about alternative rock/metal festivals, are you basing it on radio play, or what?

As far as I'm aware, "Epic" is played occasionally on Kerrang and Scuzz, that's about the top and bottom of it. I've never really noticed them getting much attention even by alternative stations/fans. Most people on the forums hate the decision for them to headline, but I'll catch them if there isn't anything better on.

That was my point about Scuzz and Kerrang! retroactively turning them into a "one hit wonder". At the time, they were big in the UK, and even bigger across Europe - hence why they're doing a European tour and probably not an American one - at the time, songs like "From Out Nowhere" and "Evidence" were as big as "Epic". But through having only had the one song played on music telly for the past eight or nine years, it's kind of taken away from how awesome they actually were.

Hell, you'll get surprised by the bands who rock you live..Sum 41 and Good Charlotte, step forward.

Saw both at Leeds 2003. Good Charlotte were awesome. Sum 41 played a shite set as they had just released 'Does This Look Infected?', which is, well, shite.

Hell, you'll get surprised by the bands who rock you live..Sum 41 and Good Charlotte, step forward.

Saw both at Leeds 2003. Good Charlotte were awesome. Sum 41 played a shite set as they had just released 'Does This Look Infected?', which is, well, shite.

Headlined by Metallica? If so, thats the one I went to, although replace Leeds with Reading.

Headlined by Metallica? If so, thats the one I went to, although replace Leeds with Reading.

Correct. Though I never saw Metallica as when I left the arena after I got fucked up in the Sum 41 mosh pit, my wristband snapped.

Tickets are £175 now, with £10 booking fee and £5 p+p. Apparently, even if you pick them up, you're still charged the £175. Source: Wikipedia, so I don't know if there is actually any truth behind it, tbh.

Edited by Nerf

Tickets are £175 now, with £10 booking fee and £5 p+p. Apparently, even if you pick them up, you're still charged the £175. Source: Wikipedia, so I don't know if there is actually any truth behind it, tbh.

Still says £160 on DL's website and through their official Ticketmaster link.

Still says £160 on DL's website and through their official Ticketmaster link.

I bought tickets on wednesday and yeah, with the booking fee and p+p its around £175. It's not as stupid as Hard Rock Calling who charge £4 to email your ticket to you.

Grrrr... Worse than flights. <_<

Down, Chris Cornell, Papa Roach, Lacuna Coil, Journey, Black Stone Cherry, Skin, Tesla, Clutch, Karma To Burn, Parkway Drive and Architects all added!

Down, Chris Cornell, Papa Roach, Lacuna Coil, Journey, Black Stone Cherry, Skin, Tesla, Clutch, Karma To Burn, Parkway Drive and Architects all added!

Aaaand I'm sold. Let's just hope Cornell doesn't play much of his newer stuff or I think I know who'll end up bottled this year :(

Yay for Cornell. I was gutted about him pulling out last year.

Papa Roach will be nice to see. I missed the end of their set in 2007 to go see Hardcore Superstar (who ended up fucking cancelling). I missed Black Stone Cherry last year, so I may check them out this year. Down could be fun if nothing else is on, same with Journey. I don't really care about Tesla, but if there's nothing else on, same with Parkway Drive and Lacuna Coil. Never heard anything by Skin, Clutch, Karma To Burn or The Architects.

Edited by Nerf

Yay for Cornell. I was gutted about him pulling out last year.

Papa Roach will be nice to see. I missed the end of their set in 2007 to go see Hardcore Superstar (who ended up fucking cancelling). I missed Black Stone Cherry last year, so I may check them out this year. Down could be fun if nothing else is on, same with Journey. I don't really care about Tesla, but if there's nothing else on, same with Parkway Drive and Lacuna Coil. Never heard anything by Skin, Clutch, Karma To Burn or The Architects.

Skin are a British hard rock band from the early 90's. Would either be under (way under) Crue on the Friday, or maybe open main stage on Sunday, I think. Apparently they've been split up for a few years and have reformed at Download's request. I youtube'd a couple of their songs and they weren't too bad. Nothing special, but someone you could easily have a beer and tap your foot too.

Papa Roach was good in 07 - better than Manson by a few country miles and I'm looking forward to seeing them again. Black Stone Cherry I saw most of their set and they are solid. I could see me really liking them had I known their stuff prior to the event.

Tesla seem okay. Again, in fitting with theme of the Sunday (if that's where they are placed).

I need to listen to more of the others before opinionating.

Apart from Lacuna Coil - they are a pretty decent with a fit lead singer :D