Download Festival 2009

GA!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because that's what I said. How many times have Slipknot played now? I'm sure it was consecutive years now, and couple with the re-appearances of bands like Slayer, it makes the line-up seem stale. Especially if you compare it with the likes of Reading, who admittedly have a broader spectrum to work with, but at least they switch it up quite a bit.

Slipknot have announced that they are to play this year’s Download festival on their official website.

Slipknot have confirmed that they will headline the Saturday night (June 13th) of this year’s Download festival on their official website.

Both Heaven & Hell and Slipknot have self-confirmed through their official websites with a full announcement expected this Monday.

--

It’s been announced that Slipknot will be headlining a UK festival for the first time at this year’s Download festival. Ten years on from their Roadrunner debut, it couldn’t be more deserved.

It was ten years ago that Slipknot released their second album, their first for Roadrunner. I’ll never forget the first time I heard it.

Like many of us, I’d seen what they looked like before hearing any music. A fellow publication described them as ‘the heavy metal Wu-Tang Clan’ (no, us neither), they wore masks that made them look more than a little gimmicky and it looked like it was going to be style over substance in the first degree.

How wrong can one be!? Dear lord, listening to that record was like being hit by a bus! No album ever heard by these albums have hit so hard as the first 5 tracks on that record. One after another, (Sic), Eyeless, Wait And Bleed, Surfacing and Spit It Out - Fuck. Me. Sideways.

Since that album was followed by a live show so savagely ferocious it turned venues up and down the UK into war-zones up and down the country, Slipknot haven’t let up steam. Iowa pissed on the notion that second albums are difficult, Volume 3 was Slipknot adding an extra melodic dimension to their own brand of brutality and All Hope Is Gone has cemented their standing as one of the biggest metal bands in existence.

It’s for all of these reasons, their insistent devotion to putting on huge stage shows, the ever-improving abilities of Joey Jordison and Corey Taylor and, most importantly, their ability to cough up anthem after anthem for 90 minutes straight that Slipknot truly deserve their biggest moment to date in front of 60,000 people.

Fray the strings, throw the sheathes and hold your breath - June 13th is going to be one hell of a night.

Apparently the first bands will be announced simultaneously on Download Website, Forum, on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show and on Kerrang.com.

Just thought you'd be interested to know. :)

I'm hoping for a surprise because, whilst some of the rumours are good, it feels a little flat so far. Bloodstock seems more appealing at the moment - especially at tickets being only £100 for that.

EDIT: Though, if I'm honest, I'll go to both if I can afford it.

Edited by Winter-F'n-Sun!

Get your ticket details for one of the gigs of the summer. Get the full inside story on Sonisphere!

Weekend Tickets for Sonisphere will go on sale at 9am on Wednesday, 11th February. The festival will be headlined by Linkin Park and Metallica and will take place on August 1st & 2nd.

Weekend £132.50

Weekend with Camping £157.50

Family Camping per person £157.50*

Lockers £10.00*

Parking £10.00* (£20.00 on the day)

Early Entry £10*

Camper Vans £40*

*£10 when booked in advance with weekend Camping Ticket

Camp sites will be open from Thursday, July 30th and there will be a campsite village and entertainment on all four nights.

Stay tuned to Metal Hammer for more Sonisphere details.

http://www.sonispherefestivals.com/

Edit: Holy shit, it's on my fucking birthday. I'm In like sin.

Get your ticket details for one of the gigs of the summer. Get the full inside story on Sonisphere!

Weekend Tickets for Sonisphere will go on sale at 9am on Wednesday, 11th February. The festival will be headlined by Linkin Park and Metallica and will take place on August 1st & 2nd.

Weekend £132.50

Weekend with Camping £157.50

Family Camping per person £157.50*

Lockers £10.00*

Parking £10.00* (£20.00 on the day)

Early Entry £10*

Camper Vans £40*

*£10 when booked in advance with weekend Camping Ticket

Camp sites will be open from Thursday, July 30th and there will be a campsite village and entertainment on all four nights.

Stay tuned to Metal Hammer for more Sonisphere details.

http://www.sonispherefestivals.com/

Edit: Holy shit, it's on my fucking birthday. I'm In like sin.

IIRC Lamb of God and Mastodon have also been announced.

It has as much right to claim to be the home of rock as anywhere else I guess. Led Zep, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Stones, Genesis, Zappa, Scorpions, Status Quo, Lynard Skynard. Unfortunately the first thing people think nowadays is Robbie Williams which kind of undoes all the hard work those rock bands put in >_>

edit: I could have just C+Ped all that from wiki instead of wasting my brain cells. :@

Pink Floyd (1975, 1990), The Rolling Stones (1976), Lynyrd Skynyrd (1976), Genesis (1978, 1990, 1992), Frank Zappa (1978), Led Zeppelin (1979), Mike Oldfield (1980), The Beach Boys (1980), Cliff Richard (1983, 1990), Deep Purple (1985), Queen (1986), Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Genesis and Dire Straits (1990), Oasis (1996), Robbie Williams (2003), and Metallica Linkin Park (2009).

It has as much right to claim to be the home of rock as anywhere else I guess. Led Zep, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Stones, Genesis, Zappa, Scorpions, Status Quo, Lynard Skynard. Unfortunately the first thing people think nowadays is Robbie Williams which kind of undoes all the hard work those rock bands put in >_>

edit: I could have just C+Ped all that from wiki instead of wasting my brain cells. :@

Pink Floyd (1975, 1990), The Rolling Stones (1976), Lynyrd Skynyrd (1976), Genesis (1978, 1990, 1992), Frank Zappa (1978), Led Zeppelin (1979), Mike Oldfield (1980), The Beach Boys (1980), Cliff Richard (1983, 1990), Deep Purple (1985), Queen (1986), Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Genesis and Dire Straits (1990), Oasis (1996), Robbie Williams (2003), and Metallica Linkin Park (2009).

Yeah, my game of FIFA 09 kinda stopped me posting it, but since its a pretty arbitrary title, it has as much right as anywhere to claim it. For some, its kinda the pinnacle of places to play, considering the sheer size of the place, and its history.

Headliners: Slipknot, Prodigy, Motley Crue

Others: Korn, Pendulum, Dragonforce, Devildriver.

I'd say result so far (Y)

Prod & Crue aren't headlining. =/ Are they?

Actually not so sure, Wiki says it's unknown at the minute, but those three had the usual "special font" that separates them from the other announcements. At least there's no MCR this year.