NFL 2009

livid

Orlando Pace. :shifty:

Warner actually had a stacked o-line with the Rams too with Pace, Adam Timmerman, Fred Miller and Tom Nutten.

Oh and while we're on the subject of the Rams, apparently Jim Haslett will be coaching in the UFL this year when that starts.

Edited by Livid

Warner actually had a stacked o-line with the Rams too with Pace, Adam Timmerman, Fred Miller and Tom Nutten.

Oh and while we're on the subject of the Rams, apparently Jim Haslett will be coaching in the UFL this year when that starts.

yeah. Kinda sad that a coaches like Haslett and Fassel(Sp?) can't get a job at an NCAA School or a NFL team and have to coach in the UFL.

I mean Fassel has a Career NFL record of 60-56-1, and a former NFC Championship winning Coach.

While Jim Haslett has a career record of 47-53.

Both may not be top coaches, but are steady. They are better then what you would expect for the new league, but it will help them and the players playing.

Look, if I knew what the Eagles were doing right now, I'd tell you. It's one thing to not want to sign any of the players that are out in free agency, aside from Psycho Shawn Andrews' brother and a guy from Cleveland. It's another to not resign ANY of the players that are leaving the team via free agency. Philly just lost both their bookend tackles and their emotional leader in one free agency span. This does not spell good things for the team in 2009, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Donovan ask for a way out sometime soon.

As for the guy that got fired because of Facebook...this is why I don't post anything about my job there. I hate where I work now, but at least I've got a job, and that's all my boss needs to know.

Apparently the Broncos are actively trying to piss Cutler off now.

After a contentious conference call between quarterback Jay Cutler and the Denver Broncos' brass on Monday, the situation has gone "from bad to worse", according to a source close to the situation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968896

Edited by naiwf

yeah. Kinda sad that a coaches like Haslett and Fassel(Sp?) can't get a job at an NCAA School or a NFL team and have to coach in the UFL.

I mean Fassel has a Career NFL record of 60-56-1, and a former NFC Championship winning Coach.

While Jim Haslett has a career record of 47-53.

Both may not be top coaches, but are steady. They are better then what you would expect for the new league, but it will help them and the players playing.

It's probably about the money. An NFL team can probably afford to hire a new associate coach and upgrade from within rather than hire an established head coach right now.

Honestly, by the time the NFL season ends, most of the open college positions have been filled and not to mention that neither of them necessarily strike me as coaches that would be successful in college. Haslett MAYBE but Fassel, I just can't see that happening.

I don't know, i think being a former NFC Champion as a coach would do wonders for recruiting.

I think Haslett is a underrated coach and is still a quality coach, both are but i guess it's right about it being cheaper to hire coaches from within. Personally i think Haslett would be a good NCAA Coach i think would be better then Bill Callahan or Charlie Weis is/was. Fassel i'm not 100% sure but his record would help with recruiting or atleast i think it would. I'm not saying either would be on Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Stoops or Brown level, but i think they could help a team in a major or not so major conference become better.

I don't know, i think being a former NFC Champion as a coach would do wonders for recruiting.

Definitely did the trick for Bill Callahan. Only he was AFC Champion.

It doesn't matter what's on your resume of success in the NFL, the parents and players BOTH do not care how you handle the NFL. Recruiting is based solely on what you can promise them, and how many lies they'll believe. You could be the best NFL coach in history, but college is a completely different game. Look at how many college coaches fail in the NFL and vice versa. They're two entirely different realms, and it's hard to win in both.

Edited by damshow

Mike and Mike In The Morning had Byron Leftwich on (by phone, not in studio), and apparently no one is interested in him. FOR SHAME!

(If the Titans hadn't retained Kerry Collins, he's at the top of my short list of QBs I'd have wanted them to go after, and also at the top of my list of QBs I'd like Dallas to go after if Romo chokes again next season. The Titans are looking for a new 3rd stringer, but Leftwich isn't 3rd stringer material)

Edited by GhostMachine

Definitely did the trick for Bill Callahan.

NFC >>>>>>> AFC, apparently.

No but Fassel was a better coach IMO than Callahan. And callahan inherited Jon Grudens team then got beat by Jon Gruden. Fassel did good with the Giants led them to the bowl where they got slaughtered.

Mike and Mike In The Morning had Byron Leftwich on (by phone, not in studio), and apparently no one is interested in him. FOR SHAME!

(If the Titans hadn't retained Kerry Collins, he's at the top of my short list of QBs I'd have wanted them to go after, and also at the top of my list of QBs I'd like Dallas to go after if Romo chokes again next season. The Titans are looking for a new 3rd stringer, but Leftwich isn't 3rd stringer material)

Byron Leftwich is a back up QB at this point. IMO, he has been one his own career, he was just given the starting job in Jacksonville because of his draft spot. I don't understand why he doesn't stay in Pittsburgh backing up Big Ben. Charlie Batch HAS to retire at some point, right?

Byron Leftwich is a back up QB at this point. IMO, he has been one his own career, he was just given the starting job in Jacksonville because of his draft spot. I don't understand why he doesn't stay in Pittsburgh backing up Big Ben. Charlie Batch HAS to retire at some point, right?

The Steelers want to develop Dennis Dixon as Ben's longterm back-up. But I'd love to have Fat Albert in a Steelers uniform for another year if no one else wants him.

Batch isn't that old, he was just hurt last season. Leftwich is a good, gutty guy to have off the bench though. I'm sure after his good performances last season someone will pick him up.

Some more news about the UFL and it's coaches.

Former NFL coaches Dennis Green, Jim Fassel and Jim Haslett will lead teams in the new United Football League.

The league plans to debut in October with four teams in San Francisco, Las Vegas, Orlando and New York.

“This will be awesome,” Fassel said on a conference call Wednesday. “It’s pure coaching—players that want to get better, players that want to develop. A lot less of the other stuff that’s always involved when you’re an NFL coach.”

Ted Cottrell, a former defensive coordinator for the Chargers, Vikings, Jets and Bills, will coach the New York franchise.

Fassel, who led the Giants to the Super Bowl after the 2000 season, will coach Las Vegas. Green, the former Vikings and Cardinals coach, will be in San Francisco. Haslett, the ex-Saints coach who served as the Rams’ interim coach this past season, will be in Orlando.

UFL games will be played outdoors using NFL rules. The goal is to sign players who just missed making NFL rosters. Players will be able to sign with NFL teams after the short season, which is scheduled to end Thanksgiving weekend, but not during it.

“So much of what we do is about developing players and developing coaches,” Green said.

Teams are scheduled to play games in Hartford and Los Angeles along with the home markets. The league also announced that the San Francisco franchise will play games at AT&T Park.

The four coaches insisted they weren’t looking to use the new league as a launching pad to return to the NFL. UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue, a former Jaguars and Lions executive and agent, said the league plans to eventually offer competitive coaching salaries to the NFL.

“This league, in general what attracted me to it was the people running it,” Haslett said.

Link

Interesting stuff. I'm definitely intrigued to see how this ends up working and having those guys as coaches is pretty good as 2 of them were in the running for vacant head coach positions in the NFL.

Edited by Livid