NFL 2009

livid

So the Bears get a franchise QB and give up two first round picks and Orton.

This tells me that Chicago is going to overload on defense in the draft this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they traded one of their key guys to move back into the first round and a second round draft pick.

Urlacher isn't going any where but I wouldn't rule out a Lance Briggs trade.

I wouldn't have thought they'd trade back into the first round, on several occasions Jerry Angelo's lamented the fact that the first round is a really expensive coin toss, you don't really know what you're getting. And really, if you look at the past first round picks, you can't really blame them for dealing them this time around.

And pulling the trigger on Cutler screams urgency to me. The Bears want to win big while they still have the majority of the '06 defense around, trading someone like Briggs would be counter-productive. What they need to do is draft defense, maybe an offensive lineman if the right one becomes available, strengthen the WR corps with either one of the free agent vets (Plax?) and a draft pick or two.

I have been reading that Goodell would like to change the fact that rookies are getting paid large sums of money without playing a down of pro football.

This x1000. It was very clearly stated that the Broncos were not interested in the #1 overall pick, and I've got to think it was for this very reason. There should not be this fear of having the #1 overall pick, other than the fact that it means you sucked worse than anyone else the year before. It should be a very valuable bargaining chip, not a giant anchor around some team's neck. A rookie salary cap or pool or something would be an excellent addition to the next CBA.

Of course, then, they'd probably have to start talking draft lottery to make sure teams don't start OBVIOUSLY tanking to get the suddenly-more-economical #1 pick, but that's all part of it.

i don't know if it's as much that i like stafford or that i hate the thought of daunte culpepper starting for the lions. i'd rather they kept orlovsky than start culpepper. i also don't see anyone in next years class that looks that much better than stafford. i don't know about bradford, i don't see him as better, and i think stafford is more ready for the pro game because of the system he comes from.

i don't know if it's as much that i like stafford or that i hate the thought of daunte culpepper starting for the lions. i'd rather they kept orlovsky than start culpepper. i also don't see anyone in next years class that looks that much better than stafford. i don't know about bradford, i don't see him as better, and i think stafford is more ready for the pro game because of the system he comes from.

i think he needs a year or two to develop before he will start to flourish if ever. Thats why i think taking Rhett Bomar in the third is a safer, cheaper pick up. Both QB's have talent, both have potential and both will likely need a year or two to get adjusted.

Culpepper isn't a bad QB, he isn't a great one or even a good one really, but they could start worse QB's like Stafford. If Stafford started next season with the Lions, he'd do worse then Culpepper would by a long shot.

I still say give Stanton a shot, but that seems unlikely. But i think Rhett Bomar could be a very good NFL QB down the road, probably better then Stafford. And not to mention he will come cheaper and they can get a franchise OT and some defensive help to go with him.

I really like the Cutler trade. The teams record with first round draft picks has been nothing to brag about, and we picked up a young QB who has already played in the NFL. Is Cutler the only answer? No. But he allows us the now look for a WR and be a legit offensive threat to teams in the very near future. The defense right now is just as iffy as the offense. This year is going to definitely be interesting for the NFC North.

With the Cutler trade, I still think we need to have Lovie and Angelo on the hot seat as one great decision does not make up for all the mishaps of the past years. If the team goes below 8-8, a change of staff could very well be what is needed for the future. The Vikings will be the toughest team to match up against in the NFC North, then the Packers, and unless the Lions somehow get an entire new team I don't see them as being much in the division. If the Bears don't place 1st or 2nd in the division, I will be damned disappointed.

I really like the Cutler trade. The teams record with first round draft picks has been nothing to brag about, and we picked up a young QB who has already played in the NFL. Is Cutler the only answer? No. But he allows us the now look for a WR and be a legit offensive threat to teams in the very near future. The defense right now is just as iffy as the offense. This year is going to definitely be interesting for the NFC North.

With the Cutler trade, I still think we need to have Lovie and Angelo on the hot seat as one great decision does not make up for all the mishaps of the past years. If the team goes below 8-8, a change of staff could very well be what is needed for the future. The Vikings will be the toughest team to match up against in the NFC North, then the Packers, and unless the Lions somehow get an entire new team I don't see them as being much in the division. If the Bears don't place 1st or 2nd in the division, I will be damned disappointed.

As much as my love for the Vikings is known, i fully believe that if the Bears get a better Line and WR that they can very well win the division next year. I personally believe both Vikings and Bears will make the playoffs, i'm not sure which will be a wild card though.

I think Cutler makes the Minnesota vs Chicago game alot more intresting, because as much as i hate to admit it, i think Cutler gives the edge to the Bears. The Vikings pass defense is weak and i think that Cutler will beable to exploit it and have a huge game in the dome and probably in Chicago barring horrible weather. I do think both teams are good, and that if they stay healthy and key players for Minnesota (Kevin Williams, Antoine Winfield, Peterson, Pat Williams, Berrian and Hutchinson) and Chicago (Briggs, Urlacher, Vasher, Olsen, Cutler and Forte) preform as expected, that both teams will make the playoffs.

I think the Packers will do pretty good but still be the odd team out. I do think this trade momentarily lifts the NFC North out of "Joke" status.

I think that one team (likely Minnestota) wins 11 games and the other (likely Chicago) wins 9-10 games.

I think the Lions will be better and that they won't have the first overall pick again when next seasons over, but they still have a lot of work.

Great trade for the Bears. As much as I dislike Cutler, the guy is obviously talented, and he was putting up great numbers with no running game. The Bears have a very good runningback and if their defense can get back to their 06' form they could be a top team in the NFC. I think the trade will make the picks dealt worth less (Since the Bears will have a better record the next two seasons) and losing Orton is pretty much a non-factor when you get a guy of Cutler's caliber.

McDaniels must feel like a real idiot now. First he doesn't get the QB he wanted, and than he loses the Pro Bowl QB he had. I fear for Chris Simms spleen.

It's not like Chris Simms is exactly horseshit, or that Orton can't complete a pass. Both are decent to good QB's who can improve. I believe that Orton is vastly underrated and will have a good career. I also think that Simms if he could just stay healthy has a shot at a quality career aswell, he has talent, but he always gets hurt just when he's putting it together.

I do think if Selvin Young and Co. can stay healthy and be effective that either Simms or Orton can lead the Broncos to a decent season, potentially playoffs if the Defense improves.

Denver might have won the division last year if the whole roster of RB's didn't get hurt. I'm not saying they would have, but they definetley had a real legit shot at it.

I think Denver regardless of how much there Defense Improves will still be the second place team behind the Chargers.

I can't see the Lions taking a LB at #20 now that they (I can't say we, they pissed me off too much) got Juilian Peterson from Seattle. I think the best thing to do is to draft Jason Smith, because very good OT's in college lately have done well in the NFL. If we were to take Stafford, then we are setting him up to fail.

Everyone listen to Free Reign!

Heavy metal band featuring three Dallas Cowboys linemen, Marc Colombo (vocals, guitar), Leonard Davis (bass) and Cory Procter (drums). We have the coolest line in the NFL :shifty:

Being an Eagles fan, I refuse to say anything connected to the Cowboys is "good"..but that wasn't terrible like I was expecting it to be

I Think the lions should draft sort of like this,

1. OT from Baylor (Jason Smith i think)

20. James Lauranitis or Ray Malauga(sp?)

2nd Round. Not Sure really.

3rd. Rhett Bomar

Smith going first overall is good. But the #20 pick would be terrible if it's either guy you listed.

Maualuga is horrifically overrated and there is absolutely no value for Laurinaitis at #20. Especially when most mocks I've seen have him going in the 2nd round, after the Lions have picked.

If they go with Smith first overall then they should go with a guy like Clint Sintim from Virginia or Vontae Davis or even Peria Jerry.

So assuming Plax's next destination isn't jail, I'm betting on the Eagles or Redskins picking him up. NFC East players seem to love bouncing between New York, Philly or Washington. The Bears would probably be smart to go after him as well.

So assuming Plax's next destination isn't jail, I'm betting on the Eagles or Redskins picking him up. NFC East players seem to love bouncing between New York, Philly or Washington. The Bears would probably be smart to go after him as well.

I was about to ask why in the world Washington would go after him. But halfway through that thought the words "Daniel Snyder" popped into my head.

I can't see the Lions taking a LB at #20 now that they (I can't say we, they pissed me off too much) got Juilian Peterson from Seattle. I think the best thing to do is to draft Jason Smith, because very good OT's in college lately have done well in the NFL. If we were to take Stafford, then we are setting him up to fail.

Peterson doesn't change the fact that we don't have a starting MLB. You want yet another season with Paris Lenon in the middle? That guy shouldn't be starting anywhere.

In regard to Laurinaitis, if we could get him in the second round, I think it'd be a great pick up.

Peterson doesn't change the fact that we don't have a starting MLB. You want yet another season with Paris Lenon in the middle? That guy shouldn't be starting anywhere.

In regard to Laurinaitis, if we could get him in the second round, I think it'd be a great pick up.

There's no real ILB worth the #20 overall pick, however - Maualuga is fierce, but overrated as pure player, and Laurinaitis is very good, but his stock has taken a considerable hit simply because he didn't meet the ridiculous expectations everybody had for him, and he should be available in round 2. Personally, I believe they'll end up going Stafford #1 (and if not, then Sanchez..) and pick up the best of the second-tier tackles 20th overall, William Beatty, which is very similar to what the Falcons did last year (and it worked out great for them). They don't HAVE to pick up a MLB in the first, or even the second round and can probably still end up picking a good talent like Daniel Holtzclaw, Scott McKillop or Dannel Ellerbe in the 3rd or 4th, any of which would be definite improvements over what they currently have inside, and all of which are absolute tackling machines (although Ellerbe's stat line took a considerable hit last year due to injuries).

This, in turn, would allow them to focus on shoring up either the defensive line or the secondary with the 33rd overall pick. Defensive tackle-wise, at least two of the big-bodied trio of Ziggy Hood, Ron Brace and Peria Jerry should be available, any of which would be quality picks. Where as with regards to the defensive backfield, I'm assuming they'd focus on the safeties since they just picked up Buchanon and Henry (I wouldn't want to have to start both, personally, but I'm guessing they'll want to take a look at what they have here first before drafting either of their replacements), and from the safety class, Patrick Chung, Sean Smith and Louis Delmas should all be available - once again, all quality picks.

At least, that's what I would go with and would be most pleased with if I was a Lions fan.

I don't see Sanchez as a Lion, if they don't take Stafford, I'm guessing it's going to be Jason Smith and then defense the rest of the way.

And Mysterio, you say that Laurinaitis is very good, which is exactly why I want him. I'm not concerned with scouting grades or anything like that, I'm concerned with getting a guy that plays hard every down, can tackle, and can potentially become a leader on the defense. I don't expect to get the next Ray Lewis, but I wouldn't mind getting the next Chris Speilman (both Speilman and Laurinaitis are Ohio State grads).

I'm curious about the Maulauga is considered to be overrated. Will he not make a good pro?

Edit - Oh, and the biggest reason I'm a bit worried about taking Stafford? Mel Kiper is adamant that the Lions draft him. If Kiper thinks it's a good idea, then do the opposite.

Edited by VerbalPuke

I don't see Sanchez as a Lion, if they don't take Stafford, I'm guessing it's going to be Jason Smith and then defense the rest of the way.

And Mysterio, you say that Laurinaitis is very good, which is exactly why I want him. I'm not concerned with scouting grades or anything like that, I'm concerned with getting a guy that plays hard every down, can tackle, and can potentially become a leader on the defense. I don't expect to get the next Ray Lewis, but I wouldn't mind getting the next Chris Speilman (both Speilman and Laurinaitis are Ohio State grads).

I'm curious about the Maulauga is considered to be overrated. Will he not make a good pro?

Edit - Oh, and the biggest reason I'm a bit worried about taking Stafford? Mel Kiper is adamant that the Lions draft him. If Kiper thinks it's a good idea, then do the opposite.

Matt Stafford comes from a pro-style offense, he has an arm capable of making just about every throw, he CAN make nearly every throw, he's intelligent (that said, high wonderlic scorers don't always turn into Peyton Mannings), he doesn't have small hands or is a complete statue in the pocket.. give him some good protection, and he will develop into, at the very least, a starter, in my opinion.

And I wouldn't take Sanchez, either, but given just how strong his workouts have been, it wouldn't really surprise me if they did decide to go this route.

With regards to Laurinaitis - I definitely understand what you're saying, but if you can pick up a solid talent who will contribute just as much as Laurinaitis (a shitload of tackles) with a later pick, and pick up another top prospect with the 33rd overall pick, why do it?

Edited by Mysterio2000X