NFL 2009

livid

The bottom line is you DON'T go for it on fourth down on your own twenty-eight. There is no other word for that than "dumb". You're facing one of the greatest quarterbacks ever. Make him drive seventy, eighty yards to beat you, not thirty. It was stupid. Coach Bill tried to look like a big shot, and that wad shot back in his face. The end.

The greatest thing was watching him at the podium afterwards..he mumbled his answers it was fan-dabi-dozi.

Official Explanation

Nov 16, 2009 - The Miami Dolphins defeated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 25-23, on Sunday at Land Shark Stadium. The visiting Buccaneers rallied from a 19-6 halftime deficit to take a 23-22 lead with 1:14 left in the fourth quarter, but the Dolphins used the remaining time to drive for the game-winning field goal.

The Dolphins scored the second of their two touchdowns with 1:25 left in the first half, following an interception by defensive end Jason Taylor. Taylor’s interception came on a pass that was intended for wide receiver Michael Clayton and in fact was in Clayton’s hands before eventually bouncing in Taylor’s direction near the left sideline.

Clayton hauled in Josh Freeman’s pass in the vicinity of the 15-yard line and was then tackled. As Clayton landed on his back and then rolled toward his stomach, the ball came out of his hands and flew toward the sideline. Taylor caught it before it hit the ground and ran it into the end zone for what was immediately ruled a touchdown.

The officials on the field then huddled and announced that the pass was incomplete. Since the clock had ticked under two minutes in the half, the play was called under review from the replay assistant in the booth upstairs. Referee Tony Corrente then ruled that the play was an interception. By rule, an incompletion that becomes an interception by review can be awarded to the defense but cannot be advanced. Following an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Tampa Bay Head Coach Raheem Morris, Miami had a first-and-goal at the Buccaneers’ eight-yard line. The Dolphins scored two plays later on a five-yard catch by tight end Kory Sperry.

The sequence proved critical for the Buccaneers. Had it been ruled a catch by Clayton, and down by contact, Tampa Bay would have either had a first down or a third-and-one. The Buccaneers were attempting to escape the shadow of their own goal line and, at worse, run out the last 90 seconds of the half trailing by three points.

However, Corrente ruled that Clayton was being tackled in the process of making his catch, and thus had to retain control of the ball through contact with the ground. Had Clayton been ruled to have made the catch and then subsequently tackled, the play might have been ruled a catch. Instead, the play was essentially ruled a deflected pass, which Taylor intercepted.

When a referee’s ruling is of particular interest in a game, the attending media is allowed to question the official using a single pool reporter. The following postgame question and answer session took place with Corrente after the Buccaneers’ loss.

Referee Tony Corrente, November 15, 2009

Why was the play ultimately ruled an interception by Jason Taylor after it was initially ruled an incomplete pass?

“One of the officials on the field felt the ball had touched the ground after it left the possession of the receiver.”

Why was the play not ruled a completion upon review?

“Because the player in question, the player who was possessing the ball in the air, as he started to come down, was hit. As he is coming down, he is now going to the ground to complete a catch and by rule, if he’s going to the ground to complete a catch, he has to maintain possession of the ball completely through the entire process of hitting the ground and thereafter showing control. As he went to the ground, basically right when he went to the ground, the ball popped out, and went right into the arms of the Miami player. The ball had never touched the ground.”

Was the play was ever whistled dead?

“The play was never whistled dead, not until the player [Taylor] got into the end zone.”

Why was Taylor unable to advance the ball?

“Because by rule, in the replay rules we can give the ball to the team, but we can’t allow the advance thereafter.”

Are you unable to allow an advance even if the ball is not whistled dead?

“Unfortunately, that’s just the replay rule because it was ruled as an incomplete pass.”

When was the play ruled an incomplete pass?

“It wasn’t ruled incomplete until there was a discussion in the end zone well after the touchdown was ‘scored.’ And so at that point, the officials got together and one said ‘I felt the ball hit the ground,’ and of course any doubt, it’s incomplete.”

That's bullshit. His elbow hit the ground and he had full possession of the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8143bf79/NFL-GameDay-Buccaneers-vs-Dolphins-highlights

There is no justification to go for it on 4th & 2. I thought they were going to try to force the Colts offsides and, hell, even take the delay of game penalty. Then punt it, make Peyton drive 70 to beat them. The Colts are smart enough to know that Tom Brady's on the other sideline. They weren't going to give the Pats any time at all to win the game after they scored. Furthermore, what the hell was Brady doing passing to Faulk? Judging by the replay he was the intended target the whole time since he doesn't even take the time to look anywhere else on the field.

All in all, completely stupid from Belichick. Caldwell deserves a lot of credit for his fabulous clock management though. He left enough time on the clock where, if the Pats were smart and did punt, Peyton had enough time to go 70+. So, the genius got outcoached by a first-year guy last night.

At this point, I almost think the Browns would be better off if Randy Lerner fired Mangini and just let the coordinators call plays, with the team captains handling everything else. Because I don't see anyone in their right mind being willing to take the Browns' head coaching job at this point. At least not with a shit ton of cash and a guarantee they can't be fired without a full season under their belt thrown in, and you can pretty much forget about any big name coaches going there.

And maybe they should pull a trade with the Redskins and get Hunter Smith to be their QB.....

Eric Mangini should never be allowed to be a head coach again....unless its with the Raiders.

I actually think they should keep Mangini around. The defense is improved (Which is what Mangini is good at) and he can't help it that the offense is just pathetically bad. It's one of the reasons the D can't do much since they are on the field 90% of the game. The Browns need some stability and at least a little time for Mangini to bring in some draft picks or whatever.

Not that I am a huge Trent Edwards fan, but I don't know if benching him is that amazing a plan. Ryan Fitzpatrick is putting up slightly worse numbers (Except in wins I guess) and I don't think he's won a game since he was playing at Harvard.

Gradkowski isn't terrible though and he probably should have started some time ago.

Mangini has to go. The players don't respond to his coaching style at all. You can't be a militaristic prick if your team isn't winning, no one is going to buy into that mentality when it isn't working. The team will quit on him completely if he sticks around.

Interesting story about Ryan Leaf. He's from fan-dabi-dozi Falls, a town 2 hours away from where I am, and was in Idaho where one of my friends live. I can't remember if it was ESPN or NFL or some other sports network, but they were showing the dumbest moves in sports, and Ryan Leaf being drafted came on. He was in the restaurant when it was on, and proceeded to throw something(I can't remember if it was a chair or shoe or whatever) at the TV, causing it to break.

EDIT: Haha, crazy word filter. But yeah, from G-reat Falls Montana.

Interesting story about Ryan Leaf. He's from fan-dabi-dozi Falls, a town 2 hours away from where I am, and was in Idaho where one of my friends live. I can't remember if it was ESPN or NFL or some other sports network, but they were showing the dumbest moves in sports, and Ryan Leaf being drafted came on. He was in the restaurant when it was on, and proceeded to throw something(I can't remember if it was a chair or shoe or whatever) at the TV, causing it to break.

EDIT: Haha, crazy word filter. But yeah, from G-reat Falls Montana.

If only he showed that kind of accuracy during his playing days...