NFL 2009

livid

As much as the Rams need a franchise quarterback, they need help elsewhere as well. And I can't imagine how scarey that D-line could be in a few years once Chris Long develops, if they add Suh to the mix.

I just realized one thing though, in order to save themselves in St. Louis the Rams very well could need a franchise QB with marketability. LA is calling someone, and the Rams have to be on that list and close to the top. But a D-Line of Long & Suh and Laurinatis at LB makes the foundations for a very scary defense. It's really the wrong year for the Rams to be as bad as they were though, with Locker staying in school.

As much as the Rams need a franchise quarterback, they need help elsewhere as well. And I can't imagine how scarey that D-line could be in a few years once Chris Long develops, if they add Suh to the mix.

I just realized one thing though, in order to save themselves in St. Louis the Rams very well could need a franchise QB with marketability. LA is calling someone, and the Rams have to be on that list and close to the top. But a D-Line of Long & Suh and Laurinatis at LB makes the foundations for a very scary defense. It's really the wrong year for the Rams to be as bad as they were though, with Locker staying in school.

Rams draft Suh, then try to squeeze an extra pick or two out of some team that can draft Clausen for them, like maybe Tampa at 3? If they can't get anything extra, eh, they hang on to Suh. Bummer. :shifty:

Iv'e never been a fan of drafting defense at number 1. Especially a defensive tackle. It makes sense for him to dominate these college lineman, but who really expects him to do that in the NFL. Has there been a dominate DT in the NFL since Warren Sapp? If I were the Rams, i'd been looking at Jake Locker, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen with that first pick because to be frank, Marc Bulger is done.

Jake Locker is sticking around for another year at Washington. And I don't think Bradford (what with him having surgery and missing a whole year) or McCoy warrant a #1 pick.

As for a dominant defensive tackle since Warren Sapp: Albert Haynesworth, until he got sucked into the blackhole that is the Redskins organization.

Forgot all about Haynesworth this year. Not surprising seeing as how he did close to nothing with a close to nothing team. Was sure Locker was coming out, but I just searched and he is staying. Now that I look at it from your perspective, Clausen does look like the only QB coming out this year as a legit NFL QB, although Snead from Ole Miss could be a good sleeper pick.

NFL Wildcard Predictions!

Green Bay @ Arizona

The Packers are the most overrated team in the NFC playoffs (and in the playoffs entirely, depending on how you feel about the Jets). The Packers have a mere two victories over winning teams this season, both at Lambeau. Here is the list of Packer victories:

Chicago

St. Louis

Detroit

@ Cleveland

Dallas (quality win #1)

49ers (decent victory)

@ Detroit

Baltimore (quality win #2)

@Chicago

Seattle

@ Arizona (doesn't count for much considering Arizona didn't play their starters)

The Cardinals are perhaps better than they were last year. They are a very hit or miss team, with a lot more misses than one would expect from a defending NFC champion who defended its division crown, and in fact, despite showing that Green Bay has very little quality wins, Arizona only really has one, although it is one that Green Bay would dream to have and failed at twice (Arizona beat Minnesota in Arizona). But Arizona has been here before, they have a playoff tested guy in Kurt Warner opposed to Aaron Rodgers, talented yet in his first playoff game ever.

I see a shootout, but Arizona's the better team, even with Boldin hurt.

Arizona 34, Green Bay 25

Philadelphia @ Dallas

I feel that whoever wins this game will probably represent the NFC in the Superbowl. Dallas's defense has shown up and been vicious. Dallas wrecked Philly last week in what is basically a mirror match for this week. Both teams are explosive, if Romo-Austin gets hot, Dallas will probably win, if McNabb-Jackson gets hot, same for Philly. Dallas has more ways to win, a very good running attack and a better defense. Philadelphia has a much better coaching staff, in fact I feel Wade Phillips is one of the worst coaches in football. The Eagles haven't lost in the first round of the playoffs since McNabb and Andy Reid have been there. Heck, Philly won a road playoff game in the first round last season. Dallas has beaten Philly twice this season.

I think this game is a basic coinflip, but I do think Andy Reid will make the correct adjustments based off of last week's thumping.

Philadelphia 22, Dallas 17

New York Jets @ Cincinnati

Depending on how you feel about the Jets, they're either one of the most dangerous teams in the playoffs, or the least deserving. Either way it's a lucky draw, the Bengals have stunk for a while, and even during their winning streak weren't anything to write home about. The Jets had an absolutely terrible mid-season, and their only showing of strength recently was their victory over Indianapolis (which they need more credit for, they were down only 15-14 when Manning and company went out).

The Bengals haven't rallied over the Chris Henry situation at all, I think it has been a major factor for this team losing life.

The Bengals win this game with Carson Palmer returning to Pro Bowl form and avoiding Revis. The Jets have the best rush defense in the league, and should be able to stop Cedric Benson. The only other way the Bengals win is Mark Sanchez throws 3-4 interceptions and the Bengals have a lot of short fields.

Lucky draw for the Jets to have to play the Bengals.

NYJ 17, Bengals 10

Baltimore @ New England

The Ravens running game is scary, and the defensive, while no longer the best in the NFL, is still tough. Joe Flacco has improved and had a good season. The Ravens are similar to last season's Eagles, a few bad losses, and a record that doesn't show who they really are.

The Patriots are the Patriots. 8-0 at home has to command respect, and Tom Brady is one of the greatest playoff quarterbacks in NFL history. It hasn't been the nicest looking season for New England, and losing Wes Welker was huge, but I'll take the home team in this situation.

This is Tom Brady's first playoff game since losing to the Giants in the Superbowl. I don't see him going away lightly.

Patriots 23, Ravens 16

Buccaneers got screwed out of a couple of probowl spots because of their record. We should have at least had a couple of special team spots. The Bucs have the number 1 special teams in the NFL. And Barrett Rudd led the league in tackles if in not mistaken.

You are mistaken, Patrick Willis led the league in tackles again. And while a case can be made for him against Vilma, Vilma had more INTs and sacks so you can argue those against Ruud having more tackles.

And there's only one special teams spot given out (not including Kickers, Punters and Returners).

And yes, record comes into play for all-star teams because a good player on a good team with similar stats to a good player on a bad team will always go first. This isn't anything new.

Far too many people are picking the Packers to beat the Cardinals. Seems like the people on ESPN - at least on First Take, anyway - are picking the Packers purely because of Rogers.

I think the game could go either way, honestly, and I don't see it being more than a 10 point difference. I will be pulling for the Packers, though, but only because I want another Packers/Vikings matchup.

The Eagles/Cowboys game? Well, I'm a Cowboys fan, but I won't be crying if Dallas loses, because I don't see them making it to the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure if they get beat Wade Phillips is gone, and if Romo chokes (which I don't think will happen) he's probably out of Dallas, too. Dallas will NOT win, let alone make it to, a Super Bowl with Wade Phillips as their head coach, and if Jason Garrett is ever given the job I don't think he'll last long.

Pains me to say this, but....Eagles 24 or 27, Cowboys 21

The Jets ARE the least deserving team in the playoffs; they're damn lucky the Colts laid down and died for them, because there's no way they would have won if Peyton had stayed in. If Curtis Painter didn't completely suck, the Colts still might have had a chance against the Jets even using backups.

RTD316 has the right score, but the wrong teams. Jets 10, Bengals 17.

The Patriots will beat the Ravens, but not as bad as they would with Welker playing. No score prediction, but Patriots by 10 to 14.

Edited by GhostMachine

So Pete Carroll to the Seahawks, once they get over get the Rooney Rule interview out of the way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4810861

This is definitely going to be interesting, I'm wondering what he'll try to bring in as you can make an entire pro team out of guys who've played under him.

Yeah, interesting time to be a Seahawks fan, thought it was a little unfair that they fired Mora after one season(if anyone should have been fired, it should be our "lack-of-offense" coordinator Greg Knapp). Still, with two 1st round draft picks and being high in the drafting order, I hope we draft some good offensive linemen and some sort of disrupter in the pass rush.

Who's everyone picking to win this weekend? How about to win it all? I just blogged my predictions.

Just wanted to throw some predictions out really quick as the NFL Playoffs get underway.

I will take the Jets (-3) outright. I'll take the Eagles -4. I think this game comes down to a late FG. For tomorrow I am taking the Ravens (-4) with them winning outright. To wrap it up I will take the Packers (-1). Yes, I really do think all 4 road teams win.

I'll throw out my predictions for the rest of the playoffs too. Lets see how that works out.

Divisional Round

Ravens over Colts

Chargers over the Jets

Saints over Eagles

Packers over Vikings

Conference Championship

Chargers over Ravens

Saints over Packers

Super Bowl

Chargers over Saints.

as an Eagles fan..after tonight, I'm pickin Dallas to go all the way and win it with how they've played the last few weeks. not saying I want them to win it however