UFC 2009: Undisputed

Maxx

It got a 80% in Gamesmaster in case anybody is wondering, they say it's a good game let down by poor a career mode.

Very interesting. I don't think I'll be let down by the Career mode though, because I don't feel it needs to be fantastic or anything. I'd honestly be happy with something simple, challenging and building yourself up through the rankings, pretty much like most boxing games do. So I'm not really sure what Gamesmaster were expecting, but we'll have to wait and see.

And when I first got the demo, I didn't think I'd hardly play as Shogun. Turns out I'm playing with him all the time now and loving it. I've managed to finally get used to his powerful punches, where you move backwards quickly and can fly in with a lovely power punch. And he's just a killer in the clinch once you begin to get used to it, I've been using the clinch a lot lately and the elbows have been destroying the face of Chuck, I'm still pushing it as much as possible to see how mashed up I can actually get his face. I'll probably take it easy on playing it over the next week so I can let it freshen up for the full game.

Yeah I spent time today just seeing how badly I could mess Chuck up with just punches and elbows. I had him looking like Arnold at the end of Terminator 2 a few times. I forgot that Rua has two types of elbows from the guard and the ones you throw while pressing LB are nasty as hell.

Something of note that really impressed me is that as much as I've been playing (easily over 200 fights by now) I heard new commentary today. I had never heard them talk about getting a mouse over the eye until I really started messing Chuck up.

I was on Rua in side guard, raining down punches and couldn't get a knockout. He rocked me a couple times, even had me doing the gray screen thing when I took a kick to the head while shooting in on him, and then...superman punch to the face. Rua knocked out.

Nice.

^^^ Nods. I find it much easier to win as Rua than with Liddell on expert. You can work him over with strikes, ground & pound, flying knees, and in the clinch. When play as Liddell, even though he's stronger than Rua, Rua takes me down after about 2 hits on him. After that, it might as well be over, I can't reverse any ground moves, ever with Liddell.

Any, detailed, advice on that?

Basically the right stick is your arms and legs, so if he has you on your back, him facing left, you can either move the rs to the left to kick him off, or upper right to left to grab his arm with your arm etc. Its hard to master but when you do, defending against rua is easy

Is the game out in the UK on the same day as the US? Or do we get it on the Friday instead?

Played tonnes more today, got destroyed numerous times on expert. Just had all out brawls when I stepped the difficulty up. The third difficulty is about right for me, despite getting killed over and over on it. The fights were just crazy and the commentary actually went really different to how it usually is, they were getting worked up like mad and the crowd were cheering crazily from the first round. Barely any attempts at a take down, just mad stand up brawling. I've really been working on the fast paced leg kicks, they're awesome. The thing I love about the harder difficulty is I really have to focus and take it like a real life fight, because if I lose my head and start throwing like mad, Chuck ends up murdering me. I've started to get the hand of Shogun's viscous elbows as well, knocked Chuck down a few times with those, crazy stuff.

Cant wait for next week to come to play the full game. I'm still interested in seeing whether or not they'll have actual stoppages in the game from someone being cut too much and stuff like that. Also, I got my first submission victory earlier with a gullotine on Chuck, it felt so awesome seeing though it's the first one I've managed in a few hundred fights.

And I don't have to press anything else along with the stick? I thought I read something about pressing down the left bumper or right bumper when countering.

some people have signature transitions and thats where the LB comes in when it comes to ground game transitions (either offensive or defensive).

Just had an AWESOME fight with Chuck as Rua. I'd say I won the first round cleanly, brutalizing Chuck with heavy blows from all limbs, even knocking him down late into the first. 2nd round was more of Chucks, as he knocked me down early into the 2nd and was connecting more with his strong blows.

3rd round comes, the final minute and both of us are gassing out, lugging ourselves around the cage and picking out shots carefully as we're both at the verge of going out. Chuck attempts a right low leg kick, Rua sidesteps around it and delivers a brutal superman punch-like left haymaker, connecting with the tip of Chuck's nose and sending him 180'ing to the center of the harley davidson logo.

Winner- Rua at 4:09 (3rd Round) via KO (Diving Left Haymaker)

Dominating on the ground is one of the most satisfying experiences ever when playing on expert. It involved pulling guard and using the rubber guard over and over to keep pulling the mount.

I will state right now, anyone on PS3 is dead meat to me. :shifty:

EDIT:

And I just took Chuck to the end of 3 rounds as Rua, and the judges unanimously voted Chuck the winner, 29-28 all 3 judges. Time to get some revenge.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

Hmm, little dissapointed with the feel of it, I thought it would be a bit looser and use a system more similar to Smackdown, which is a little dissapointing, still, I'm adjusting to the controls, I can't say they're optimised very well though.

I'm surprised no one's called you out on this yet. Why on earth would you a. expect it to be similar controls to Smackdown, and b. be disappointed by that? The controls are nigh-on perfect (I struggle with escaping mounts quite often, but I figure that's my inability rather than an issues with the mechanics). A system like Smackdown's wouldn't work, it'd be like dialling up animations, the way they've done it you can specifically focus on certain areas, like pounding the shit out of the right side of the face, or kicking your opponent's ribs to knock the wind out of him.

How exactly are they not optimised? It couldn't really get any simpler, one face button per limb, modifier for strong attacks, right stick for grappling. There's not even any Tekken-esque combos to master, you have the step moves and that's it.

Hmm, little dissapointed with the feel of it, I thought it would be a bit looser and use a system more similar to Smackdown, which is a little dissapointing, still, I'm adjusting to the controls, I can't say they're optimised very well though.

I'm surprised no one's called you out on this yet. Why on earth would you a. expect it to be similar controls to Smackdown, and b. be disappointed by that? The controls are nigh-on perfect (I struggle with escaping mounts quite often, but I figure that's my inability rather than an issues with the mechanics). A system like Smackdown's wouldn't work, it'd be like dialling up animations, the way they've done it you can specifically focus on certain areas, like pounding the shit out of the right side of the face, or kicking your opponent's ribs to knock the wind out of him.

How exactly are they not optimised? It couldn't really get any simpler, one face button per limb, modifier for strong attacks, right stick for grappling. There's not even any Tekken-esque combos to master, you have the step moves and that's it.

I'm not really a fan of MMA if I'm perfectly honest so in all truth it's probably just my own fault for expecting something without totally comprehending the franchise it's based on, I just thought it would be a little more complex than it is, as it is I feel like I could play any old school fighter with a limited amount of buttons and enjoy it way more.