The Inevitable Summer Transfer Market Topic

You think British journalists make up a load of nonsense?

Real Madrid are reportedly considering making a surprise move for Standard Liege's Oguchi Onyewu if they fail to secure the services of Liverpool full-back Alvaro Arbeloa, according to El Mundo Deportivo.

Got it from SI.com who got it from Goal.com who got it from El Mundo Deportivo apparently.

Birmingham want Newcastle bad boy Joey Barton on loan By Alan Nixon 6/07/2009

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish is offering to pay £25,000 a week to Newcastle to take Joey Barton on loan for the season.

The package will be considered by the rudderless Toon outfit once they have a new owner and manager – and while it is the best escape route for them it is still less than HALF of what Barton earns.

So if McLeish gets the nod to take on the fiery midfielder for the Blues’ return to the top flight it will mean that relegated Newcastle must still pick up around £2million of his salary.

Advertisement - article continues below »

Birmingham have short-listed Barton along with Rangers and Scotland star Barry Ferguson and even Patrick Vieira as possibles for their midfield leader role. The

St Andrews club would be happy to take on Barton for a year at the cost of around £1.3m, but do not want to buy him.

Barton is quite happy to stay on Tyneside but could be forced out if Alan Shearer – or any other manager – refuses to play him.

The Barton problem is just one of many at Newcastle where a handful of players

are fancied on loan by rival clubs – like Kevin Nolan – who need Toon to ‘sponsor’ those deals because of the size of the salaries.

Sorce: Daily Mirror

First Lee Bowyer now Joey Barton. Why must Birmingham go after players I hate? I'll be sick if I ever see that twat in a Birmingham shirt.

Edited by Hugobombski

Personally I don't hate the guy and I think he could do well for them. People only shit on him for what has happened outside of his football. He's not a bad player and it's funny that at one point he was close to making the England team (or did he?) and then once all the crazy stuff started to happen, everybody turned on him. I'm not doubting that he seems like a right tit, but I think he could be a good player for a team like that, on the condition he can be kept under control and get his focus back on the game.

To be fair, the 'stuff he did outside football' involvement knocking out Ousmane Dabo and thrusting a cigarette into some teenagers eye.

Lee Bowyer played well for Birmingham last season anyway, he's still a good player. Barton is too, but he's in a different league to Bowyer.

Barton did get capped for England as far as I remember.

Looking at some videos of Gabriel Obertan and he seems skillful(then again so does everyone on YouTube)...lets see what happens we have been linked to several players I haven't heard of this week.

Yeah, he's got one cap.

Barton's obviously still a good player, you don't lose talent just because of a bad temper. But he's still a very angry person and a liability when he doesn't keep it under control. As I've said before, I find him hilarious and as long as he's not playing for my team I'd love to see him stay in the Prem.

Guest Ringmaster

If the Mancs pay over 3 mil for Oberlan, they'll have overpaid. He's like Lennon was two years ago but worse. He cannot pass, he cannot score, he's just fast. Distinctly average but with loads of potential.

Also, if Arsenal sign Melo and Melo settles, they'll contend for the title. The guy is phenomenal. Last season, he was the best DM in the world. Plays like Mascherano but he's bulkier, faster and stronger. Also, he's a thug. 3 red cards in the league, one in the cup and about 25 yellow card. The guy is legit scary. He's like the Brazilian Chuck Norris. And he beats the shit out of everyone. I can't remember those red basterds having a tough bastard since Viera. Hate to say, it'll do them a lot of good. The guy is awesome. I just hope I'll still be able to love him :(

"Breaking news," says the BBC gossip page, "Inter Milan target Ricardo Carvalho is ready to leave Chelsea this summer but will only consider a move to another top European club. "I would like to open a new page in my career," he said."

So the breaking news is simply that Carvalho wants to leave...which he's already said twice. -_-

Also, if Arsenal sign Melo and Melo settles, they'll contend for the title. The guy is phenomenal. Last season, he was the best DM in the world. Plays like Mascherano but he's bulkier, faster and stronger. Also, he's a thug. 3 red cards in the league, one in the cup and about 25 yellow card.

Judging by the second bolded part, he won't be around too much to help them if he signs anyway. <_<

Oguchi Onyewu to AC Milan apparently. You was out on a free after his contract with Standard liege in Belgium expired and he was being linked to a number of teams but really I never saw any mention of Milan until he signed today. He looked good last year helping Standard Liege win the belgian league and then look very good in the Confederations Cup against some very good competition. It will be intresting to see how he fits with AC Milan but it is nice to have an American at a very good club even without Kaka.

Guest Ringmaster
Also, if Arsenal sign Melo and Melo settles, they'll contend for the title. The guy is phenomenal. Last season, he was the best DM in the world. Plays like Mascherano but he's bulkier, faster and stronger. Also, he's a thug. 3 red cards in the league, one in the cup and about 25 yellow card.

Judging by the second bolded part, he won't be around too much to help them if he signs anyway. <_<

This was Serie A though, you get a red card for not putting your hands up to your mouth when you sneeze.

And rightfully so, you unsanitary animals :angry:

Oguchi Onyewu to AC Milan apparently. You was out on a free after his contract with Standard liege in Belgium expired and he was being linked to a number of teams but really I never saw any mention of Milan until he signed today. He looked good last year helping Standard Liege win the belgian league and then look very good in the Confederations Cup against some very good competition. It will be intresting to see how he fits with AC Milan but it is nice to have an American at a very good club even without Kaka.

He's been linked about a week or so, Marca's been harping on about him since the Confed. Cup. IMO, he'd do good in Italy, he's never had the pace for Spain or England, but he's got the "intelligence" for Italy.

Also Everton signed this one American player from the div. 5 in the US. I have never heard of him aside from the fact a few MLS clubs were sniffing.

Edited by Ringmaster