The Inevitable Summer Transfer Market Topic

I think it's fairly obvious Man Utd didn't sign Owen to be a starting forward. He's a veteran presence off the bench who if he can stay healthy should be able to chip in with a few goals. Behind Berbatov and Rooney it's just youngsters so adding a veteran is a good move to round out the set of forwards. I think this way Owen will be able to build his fitness up more as well. If he had gone to a club where he would be first choice, they'd be shoving him into the line-up as often as they can and increasing the chances of being re-injured.

Yeah, they'll use him in the same way they used Larsson (except Larsson is class) coming off the bench in a few games and maybe grabbing a few goals, using his eperience etc.

I wouldn't be pleased if they forked out money for him but on a free... can't complain.

Still think they need a fourth striker though. Utd have always operated best with four attacking options. Oh and a better LM for obvious reasons.

Yeah, they'll use him in the same way they used Larsson (except Larsson is class) coming off the bench in a few games and maybe grabbing a few goals, using his eperience etc.

I wouldn't be pleased if they forked out money for him but on a free... can't complain.

Still think they need a fourth striker though. Utd have always operated best with four attacking options. Oh and a better LM for obvious reasons.

A fully fit Michael Owen gets any team in the world goals his record speaks for itself, even at a team as shocking as newcastle he averaged near 1 goal in every 2 games which is fantastic considering he was injured for most of the time, i think Sir Alex has made a masterclass signing and will get United a few more points than they would without him.

All this talk of "if he can stay fit" is starting to sound suspiciously similar to what's been said about him since he left Real Madrid. If he stays fit £16m will be a bargain, if he stays fit his goals will carry Newcastle into Europe, if he stays fit England might win the World Cup, if he stays fit Allardyce will get him playing again, if he can stay fit he'll keep Newcastle up...

Constant doubts about fitness are the last thing you want in a third choice/backup striker. Ideally you need to know he'll be available at any point throughout the season, with Owen I don't think you get that. Plus he's always been a spurty player, he'll go on a run of games where he scores in all of them then not score in four or five. Again, not particularly useful for someone whose not going to be playing every game.

All I know is that if I ever get a job which requires an agent I am hiring Vassel's, must be one awesome magician to hype him like this!.

I remember when he scored on his debut for England, at that stage he didn't even have an aganet! Unheard of in this day and age.

Chelsea have signed Russian international Yuri Zhirkov from CSKA Moscow for a reported £18m fee.

Nice, exciting.

0935: Manchester United have an agreement in place with Bordeaux to sign 20-year-old winger Gabriel Obertan, according the French club's president.

"It's actually a great possibility," said Jean-Louis Triaud. "United want him and we would be delighted to see Gabriel develop in such a club. We will make it official when the moment comes."

FM HAX! Gonna be expensive...

Hooray, we finally have signed Zhirkov just as some Russian paper claimed we'd already done a month ago. :shifty:

Now if the giants of journalistic integrity that are the Daily Star, News of the World et al could shut up about Chelsea selling Terry to City for £40m, I'd be happy.

Chelsea have signed Russian international Yuri Zhirkov from CSKA Moscow for a reported £18m fee.

Nice, exciting.

0935: Manchester United have an agreement in place with Bordeaux to sign 20-year-old winger Gabriel Obertan, according the French club's president.

"It's actually a great possibility," said Jean-Louis Triaud. "United want him and we would be delighted to see Gabriel develop in such a club. We will make it official when the moment comes."

FM HAX! Gonna be expensive...

Never seen Obertan, he any good? Could certainly do with another player in that area, although I'm still hoping we get to see Tosic a little bit this season as well.

As for the Terry stuff, I find that hilarious. Of all the players City go for, it's possibly the one that they stand the least chance of ever getting. Terry seems like a guy with a brain at least and while City are trying to build a great team, I don't see why he'd even consider going there (apart from the money of course). I'd be shocked if he or Chelsea ever even considered it really.

Chelsea are willing to sell captain John Terry to Manchester City, if the Eastlands club offer £40m for the England defender.

Source: Daily Star

New Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has insisted captain John Terry is not for sale at any price.

Manchester City had a bid for the 28-year-old England defender rejected last week and Ancelotti stated Terry is integral to his plans.

"John Terry is the symbol of this team, he will be captain," said the Italian.

"He wants to stay at Chelsea forever and we want to keep him forever. There is a question of Manchester City but for Terry there is no price."

Source: Carlo Ancelotti's mouth

lol, tabloids.