G.I. Joe might be "biggest bomb in many a moon"

ROC

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/06/11/rumor-...ed-from-gi-joe/ is the source:

Rumor: Stephen Sommers Fired From G.I. Joe?

Posted on Thursday, June 11th, 2009 by Russ Fischer

A number of sites today are pushing forward the story that G.I. Joe director Stephen Sommers has been locked out of the film’s editing room, based on a post from film producer Don Murphy’s message board (now removed), as noticed by Latino Review. The story is picking up steam, in part thanks to vaguely corroborative posts by people like Jeff Wells. And while I can’t verify the story, I have heard several really bad things about the film from a few informed sources. Common word is that it is a disaster for Paramount, and that a lot of unplanned post-production work was done to amp up the action and excitement factors and possibly just to make the thing watchable. Details of the original post from Murphy’s message board after the jump.

The condensed version goes like this: A disastrous test screening led production exec Brad Weston to push for Sommers’ firing. Stuart Baird was brought in to rework the edit, while producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura was also let go from the project. (di Bonaventura getting the boot seems unlikely.) There’s a lot of talk in the post about how di Bonaventura and Sommers didn’t know anything about ‘the mythology’ and how that led (somehow) to the ruin of the film. The ‘didn’t know the mythology’ argument seems like a fanboy straw man as the issue doesn’t seem to be that the movie is bad by GI Joe standards, but by any standard. Jeff Wells quotes an unnamed source that says Sommers “was given total freedom but he melted down and has made the biggest bomb in many a moon.” Again, not a bad GI Joe movie, but a bad movie, period.

If Paramount had a solid action movie on their hands that wasn’t going to please the franchise’s core base, the studio could still do fine marketing it to the mass audience that doesn’t really care, as long as things are blowing up and Sienna Miller is wearing leather. Meanwhile, I have zero concern over the film one way or the other. Despite a basket full of bad efforts, I’m still willing to hope, no matter how unlikely it seems, that the Stephen Sommers of Deep Rising will show himself once again. And there’s always Joseph Gordon-Levitt to anticipate as Cobra Commander, dumb mask and all.

There's an update from a producer (di Bonaventura) claiming Sommers is not being kicked out of the editing room, but either way, this has the be the worst type of buzz there is. Then again, we are talking the director of EWB's LEAST LIKED MOVIE of 2004 in Van Helsing. And yes, this news is two days old.

The movie looks worse just abysmal. I'm sure it will be the worst movie based on a cartoon show that's based on a toy since Transformers. The only question is, what's going to suck more, GI Joe or Transformers 2?

But...Christopher Eccleston will make this good, right? :P

Oh shit, he's in it? I didn't know that!

(someone better pick this up :shifty: )

Transformers 2 = Josh Duhamel + Megan Fox + Linkin Park soundtrack = Win

Isn't that Transformers 1?

And I'm totally over Megan Fox... she's random hot chick that Maxim-reading men drool over #4353583, get back to me when she actually does something. People who try to compare her to Angelina Jolie are just plain crazy.

Transformers is good

I really tried to like it... I just couldn't. And this new one looks even worse.

Edited by Zero

Mmmmm yeah, perfectly enjoyable film. You wanted giant robots fighting, you got it. It was never going to be some oscar worthy film, it was a fun popcorn action flick and a good one at that.

GI Joe however, will be godawful.

Edited by Maxx

I'm gonna see Transformers 2 for the same reason I saw Transformers, and that's Peter Cullen Peter Cullen Peter Cullen Peter Cullen.

Fun fact: the last good thing any Wayans brother did was Don't Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood.

Finally, the movie that proves that Justice isn't always Poetic, Jungle Fever isn't always pretty, and Higher Learning can be a waste of time!

Edited by Tope Con Cloudy