G.I. Joe might be "biggest bomb in many a moon"

ROC

I will give you a secret, and you can look at the archived threads for this. In 2004, I liked Van Helsing. I blame it on the booze...and the boobs, actually, because Kate Beckinsale was awesome looking in such a film.

Mmmmm yeah, perfectly enjoyable film. You wanted giant robots fighting, you got it. It was never going to be some oscar worthy film, it was a fun popcorn action flick and a good one at that.

GI Joe however, will be godawful.

The transformations were terrible, and the product placement unforgiveable. The bad acting and shite story just helped to bury it. You could barely figure out what was going on half the time.

If it is literally the worst movie imaginable, I'm going to go out of my way to see it. I will drive up to an hour and a half to see a movie fail so epically. But if Paramount is so ashamed of it, they should cut the ticket price in half and market it as a special deal, then give the film a reboot in a couple of years.

I didn't like Transformers but it's nothing new. It's an action movie with sex appeal (and yes, Megan Fox is fucking hot and I don't care what anybody says as the only reason she's considered "overrated" is because you're pretty much told she's hot even though it's quite obvious and don't even get me started on the Jolie comparisons because for the most part, they're stupid and are only based on that they look slightly similar), good special effects and mediocre acting. The worst part about it is that Labeouf get shit on for not having talent when he actually does but because he's overstaturating the market, he's hated on.

And I've made no qualms with the fact that GI Joe will suck and the only possible redeeming factor, like the original poster had mentioned, is Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander and that's only because he's awesome.

One of the artists over on SNAFU comics and an all-around damn good artist anyway in Alex Pardee did this little skit with Shia, who's a friend of his and who had his wall painted by Pardee for him. Seriously, one of the funniest damn things I've Shia do, and it's not even like it's going to be televised or anything.

Mmmmm yeah, perfectly enjoyable film. You wanted giant robots fighting, you got it. It was never going to be some oscar worthy film, it was a fun popcorn action flick and a good one at that.

The transformations were terrible, and the product placement unforgiveable. The bad acting and shite story just helped to bury it. You could barely figure out what was going on half the time.

Let's not forget the painful dialogue.

And the "fun popcorn action flick" excuse doesn't hold up when a movie like Iron Man came out a year later. That was a fun popcorn flick. That's a movie that showed us that you can make a movie where shit blows up, but still have a script that isn't flat-out insulting.

Edited by Zero

I see nothing wrong with Shia LaBeouf, he's good for what he does and plays the regular guy well enough. I think the hate comes because he was in a ton of movies in a short period of time. As for Transformers, I enjoyed the first one for what it was, and this looks to be more of the same. They'll be robots fighting, lots of explosions, Shia running around and Megan Fox looking hot. Nothing more, nothing less.

Let's not forget the painful dialogue.

And the "fun popcorn action flick" excuse doesn't hold up when a movie like Iron Man came out a year later. That was a fun popcorn flick. That's a movie that showed us that you can make a movie where shit blows up, but still have a script that isn't flat-out insulting.

One had decades of great character development to base itself off of, the other was based off a line of toys and a cartoon. I'd say for what Transformers had to work with, it was quite well done.

I don't know. I saw Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, a movie that literally yelled out "It's a bomb! Everybody out!"

Pretty sure you're not a bomb if nobody knows you went off.

From what I've read on the movie and having seen pictures and the trailer, here's what I think so far:

The good:

Casting Dennis Quaid as Hawk. Top notch choice.

Except for some minor things (like the Arishkage clan symbol being on his uniform and sword), Snake-Eyes looks damn near perfect.

Sienna Miller as the Baroness. Another good choice, and I'm glad they went with using her as a brunette instead of actually giving her black hair.

Larry Hama has a cameo. Sadly, its not as Tunnel Rat, though. (the character Tunnel Rat's appearance - at least for the original action figure - was based on Hama)

The bad:

Marlon Wayans. Ugh. Easily my least favorite of the Wayans brothers.

Going off that, making Ripcord an African-American instead of using a well known member of the team who is African-American, like Stalker or Roadblock. (I can only hope they did this because Ripcord gets killed off)

Where the hell are the actual G.I. Joe uniforms?! Except for Snake-Eyes, they're all wearing something akin to urban camo (with G.I. Joe incorporated into the design) or those blasted accelerator suits, which are bad enough but make them look like black versions of Master Chief from Halo when they have the helmets on. (And they really should have given Hawk a helmet or something, because he looks about as much like Flint as he does Hawk with the black beret)

Tommy from 3rd Rock From The Sun as Cobra Commander. I'm guessing the casting director was either off his or her meds or high on Bolivian marching powder that day. (And from what I've read - haven't seen any actual pics - they've changed the helmet design and its going to look stupid)

The meh, aka I can live with it, but wish they had done better:

Storm Shadow's outfit. Wish they had gone with something more classic instead of something based on what he's been wearing in the comics lately.

Christopher Eccleston as Destro. Should have gone with someone more buff, since he makes Cobra Commander look like a wimp when standing next to him in the comics.

My prediction: This movie is going to piss me off. I was a HUGE G.I. Joe fan back in the day, and things look like it may stink on ice. I don't think it'll be a total bomb, but it won't make enough money to warrant a sequel.....unless they do a direct to video one, and you know how shit those usually are since they have lousy budgets and are usually written by total hacks.

Tommy from 3rd Rock From The Sun as Cobra Commander. I'm guessing the casting director was either off his or her meds or high on Bolivian marching powder that day. (And from what I've read - haven't seen any actual pics - they've changed the helmet design and its going to look stupid)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is probably the best actor in the film. 3rd Rock was a long time ago.

It's not even that I hate Shia Lebeouff, I hate that they're not giving me a choice whether or not to like him considering he's in EVERY FUCKING MOVIE. Spielberg apparently sees him as the next big thing, so hopefully he can cultivate some talent and we'll have a Leonardo DiCaprio situation where Shia actually turns out to be a damn good actor. If not, we're looking at the next Matthew McConaughey - some douchebag that Hollywood keeps forcing upon us.

It's not even that I hate Shia Lebeouff, I hate that they're not giving me a choice whether or not to like him considering he's in EVERY FUCKING MOVIE. Spielberg apparently sees him as the next big thing, so hopefully he can cultivate some talent and we'll have a Leonardo DiCaprio situation where Shia actually turns out to be a damn good actor. If not, we're looking at the next Matthew McConaughey - some douchebag that Hollywood keeps forcing upon us.

With a fear of shirts!

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is probably the best actor in the film. 3rd Rock was a long time ago.

Beat me to it. He's one of the best young actors in film today; I've seen both Brick and The Lookout and he's wonderful in both of those, and his involvement was the only thing that gave me pause in regards to whether it had hope of being a good movie. But I'm pretty sure he just wanted to make a big blockbuster for once judging from interviews on the subject that he's given.